Help! How do I get rid of this algae? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! How do I get rid of this algae?

Hello, what algae is this and how do I get rid of it?
- The tank is a 20 gallon high
- Eco complete substrate
- Finnex HLC 24/7 light set to 70% intensity and 9 hours a day
- Dosing Easy Green and Easy Iron oneor twice a week(I used to dose Easy Carbon but after I got vallisneria I stopped dosing it because I heard it will kill it)
- Root tabs
- Aquaclear 30 filter
- Submersible circulation pump 80 gph
- Heater

Stocking: 5 bronze corydoras and 1 otocinclus
Feeding: 2 Aqueon shrimp pellets every other day

Water parameters:
7.9 ph
0ppm ammonia
0ppm nitrite
25ppm nitrate
4 kH
9 gH
264 tds
78 degrees temperature
phosphate: 1

Note: I have just beaten Cyanobacteria by using Mardel Maracyn and tank has been running for about 3 months and a half.
Been in the hobby for two years.
I do water changes every week and I am definitely due for a water change today.
I am new to this forum.

Thank you for your time and advice is really appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1600092803448.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	902955  

Name:	image_1600092866073.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	902957  

Name:	image_1600092888108.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	233.8 KB
ID:	902959  

Name:	image_1600092908941.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	902961  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:15 PM
Algae Grower

Following, as I am starting to have the same issue.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Looks like Staghorn to me. Long term, you need to have a better balance of nutrients, plant density and light. You might be OK once your plants grow in more. The easiest way to remove it is with glutaraldehyde (Excel, Easy Carbon), but as you have said, it can damage your val. Do you see the algae on new growth too? Perhaps you should shorten your photoperiod.

ďScience, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.Ē -Jules Verne

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hello, thank you for responding.
The algae doesn’t seem like it’s growing on the new growth. It’s growing on my trident and java fern, Anubias, dwarf saggitaria, a little bit at the bottom of rotala bonsai, my submersible circulation pump, and there’s some on the substrate. My vallisneria is already starting to melt probably because it has just been put in my tank, so I’m not sure if I can add liquid carbon. I also have heard that if you introduce liquid carbon slowly(less amounts at the beginning and increase through time) the vallisneria will come back and get used to it. I am not sure if I should take the risk and add liquid carbon or not. I am also thinking of possibly getting a co2 system but they are very expensive so I’m not sure if I can get that right now. What would you recommend to do to get rid of this algae?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 06:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (73/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
you have a bit of slow growers in there. I do see the rotala in the corner but I think some other fast growers out there will help soak the excess nutrients before the algae does. some floaters are always great idea as they will also shade some of the light.

I don't think adding carbon right now is going to help, you need to get more plant mass first before it'll make a difference. get some quick growers and then it'll actually be helpful. The slow growers won't make a big impact unless the tank is super stocked with those first

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice, I am currently just letting my plants grow out without trimming. I am getting one more plant for this tank and its Ludwigia Arcuata. I might think of floaters but wouldn’t that slow down the growth of the other plants and take away their light? Is it better to let the stem plants grow out or trim them and replant? And should I decrease the amount of fertilizer I dose temporarily?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 08:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had the same in my shrimp tank. Stag horn algae. I turned off the filters and lights and dosed 1ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water and mixed it around the tank, turned back on filters after 1 hour. Did this for 3 days in a row and all the algae turned red and died off.
Oughtsix likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 09:45 PM
Planted Member

I had staghorn for a while along with a bit of green spot algae. I turned up my CO2 a bit and dosed with Seachem Excell and it all died in a few days.

Dealing with BBA now. Much harder!

I am probably overfeeding...

Last edited by mourip; 09-15-2020 at 12:11 PM. Reason: wording
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2020, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What I did to get rid of BBA is dose Mardel Maracyn which I got from aquarium coop and dosed 1 packet per 10 gallons and boom it’s gone
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:55 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have found that spot treatments with H2O2 and dosing with excel helped my algae problems go away. The algae that seem most vulnerable to H2O2 are the thready ones like yours. I noticed with some like BBA, that my shrimp at the time did not have interest in, they would get interested after I "BBQ'd" with H2O2. Use sparingly as dangerous to fish and tank animals.

I think you want to get rid of dead matter also, if you see anything too far gone, clip it and get it out of there.
Oughtsix and Econde like this.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticBlaze View Post
What I did to get rid of BBA is dose Mardel Maracyn which I got from aquarium coop and dosed 1 packet per 10 gallons and boom itís gone
Maracyn advertises as safe for snails and shrimp.

Has anyone seen issues with it for any tank inhabitants? Will it affect beneficial bacteria causing a new cycle?

Last edited by mourip; 09-15-2020 at 01:00 PM. Reason: wording
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Hello, thank you for responding.
The algae doesnít seem like itís growing on the new growth. Itís growing on my trident and java fern, Anubias, dwarf saggitaria, a little bit at the bottom of rotala bonsai, my submersible circulation pump, and thereís some on the substrate. My vallisneria is already starting to melt probably because it has just been put in my tank, so Iím not sure if I can add liquid carbon. I also have heard that if you introduce liquid carbon slowly(less amounts at the beginning and increase through time) the vallisneria will come back and get used to it. I am not sure if I should take the risk and add liquid carbon or not. I am also thinking of possibly getting a co2 system but they are very expensive so Iím not sure if I can get that right now. What would you recommend to do to get rid of this algae?
If it is not growing on the new growth, it seems like you are making progress towards being balanced and its probably just a matter of killing the staghorn. Starving it takes awhile, I killed mine with glut last time, but nuked my val. you could spot treat with glut, or pull out objects/plants for treatment. You could also pull out the val, treat the tank, then put the val back. In my experience, staghorn can be killed with glut in 3-4 days.

ďScience, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.Ē -Jules Verne
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-15-2020, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunsen Honeydew View Post
If it is not growing on the new growth, it seems like you are making progress towards being balanced and its probably just a matter of killing the staghorn. Starving it takes awhile, I killed mine with glut last time, but nuked my val. you could spot treat with glut, or pull out objects/plants for treatment. You could also pull out the val, treat the tank, then put the val back. In my experience, staghorn can be killed with glut in 3-4 days.
Thanks again, Iím going to slowly introduce glut again, by doing the half amount of dosage recommended every other day, then increase it to help the val as much as possible. Should I keep the light intensity, duration, and amount of ferts Iím dosing the same other then the easy carbon? Currently the intensity is 50%, 6 hours a day, and dosing easy iron and green one a week. Should I bump it up to 70% 9 hours a day, and dosing twice a week like I did a couple days ago? Iíll keep you updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mourip View Post
Quote:
What I did to get rid of BBA is dose Mardel Maracyn which I got from aquarium coop and dosed 1 packet per 10 gallons and boom itís gone
Maracyn advertises as safe for snails and shrimp.

Has anyone seen issues with it for any tank inhabitants? Will it affect beneficial bacteria causing a new cycle?
It will not affect the beneficial bacteria dramatically. Just make sure you add more bacteria the next day after dosing. Thatís what I did and all went well. My fish ended up fine and the wild snails in my tank survived, not sure about shrimp though.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-16-2020 at 06:12 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 12:32 PM
Algae Grower

Just get like 2 or 3 amano shrimp they will clear that up in a few days
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2020, 02:24 PM

Try seachem excel, follow the instructions but dose half instead. full doses will kill your Val. Full doses always kill my neo-c shrimp. small dosing seems to be ok. it elimnates stag, green and black thread alage. helps a bit with spot algae. dont follow the instruction about initial dose. its too much for some plants like vals and crpyts. please update us

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode