Help to Control Brown Algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 07-23-2020, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help to Control Brown Algae

Hello, I'm constantly fighting to control my brown algae (diatom) growth and am looking for any help I can get! Here's a link to my full set up

In short, I have a tall 60-gallon tank with the LED strip lights that came with the tank. There's also a window in the room but I try to limit the natural light that hits the tank.

The current inhabitants that could potentially help with the algae are a rubberlip pleco, 3 mystery snails, and a few Amano shrimp. Yet, there always seems to be a coating of brown algae on all of my driftwood, rocks, glass, heater, and filter intake every time I clean the tank. I'm more than happy to do so but I wish I could control it another way so I didn't have to disrupt the tank as much.

I have pretty soft water and here are my full tank parameters:
- Temp 80 F
- ph 6.5
- Ammonia reading 0
- Nitrite reading 0
- Nitrate reading 0-5ppm
- KH - 4
- GH - 6

I just added some crushed coral to the filter so hopefully, that will help raise the KH so my current snails and shrimp can stay strong and healthy. I was debating adding a few Nerite snails but I haven't had much luck with them before; they only lived for a month or two previously.

Maybe I try to get some more shrimp? Or should I try snails?

Any help is appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1242.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	901273  

A step or two above a beginner with nothing but optimism and excitement to learn all that I can!

Full write up on my set up
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode