what kind of algae and how to get rid of it? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-12-2020, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
what kind of algae and how to get rid of it?

hey guys, can you help me in identifying what this algae is and how to get rid of it? Aside from this, there isn't any algae in the tank.

Running pressurized CO2, ADA led light on UNS60.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_183318_1594521226919.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	241.0 KB
ID:	900837  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200703_183327_1594521242779.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	240.9 KB
ID:	900839  

75G

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ADA 60P and Mini-M (shut down)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Anyone?

75G

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2020, 01:22 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasutaku View Post
Anyone?
Although it looks white, what color is it? Is it covering your substrate, which appears to have a slightly green tint? Is it covering the driftwood and how long has the driftwood been in the tank? Do you have any fauna in the tank? How long has the tank been set up? What are you dosing and do you have any test results for water parameters? How often do you do water changes and how much?

Iím thinking fungus/mold or cyanobacteria (which can be whitish).

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Although it looks white, what color is it? Is it covering your substrate, which appears to have a slightly green tint? Is it covering the driftwood and how long has the driftwood been in the tank? Do you have any fauna in the tank? How long has the tank been set up? What are you dosing and do you have any test results for water parameters? How often do you do water changes and how much?

Iím thinking fungus/mold or cyanobacteria (which can be whitish).
Hi, it's whitish, not covering substrate, and majority of it is on java moss.

I pulled as much as i could out of the tank (portions that were growing on the moss), but it's also on rocks and driftwood.

tank has been set up for about a year, no dosing, wanted to go as low maintenance as possible so only have slow growing plants. have a bunch of floaters to absorb excess nutrients from feeding.

Fauna consists of about 20 micro rasboras, cherry shrimp, few otos, few corys.

water change every week to every other week, half the tank. Haven't tested in a while since everything has been going well in the tank aside from this issue.

It's really hard to pull off of the rocks and driftwood though, it's really on there. I think you may be correct on the fungus/mold. Do you know the best way to get rid of it?

75G

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 01:27 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasutaku View Post
It's really hard to pull off of the rocks and driftwood though, it's really on there. I think you may be correct on the fungus/mold. Do you know the best way to get rid of it?
No, I don't. I've never had it. Perhaps some members with experience in this area will step in.

Quick searches indicate that, in an established tank, imbalances among macros may be the cause. I'd test NO3, PO4 and GH to see where things are.

You may also want to vacuum the substrate.

I would also try spot treating it with H2O2 and Excel to see if it has an effect.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Itís a really bad case of BBA I believe, they do not have to be black.

https://www.aquasabi.com/aquascaping...ck-beard-algae

Do like they say there and drop a piece of it in some alcohol and it will turn red if itís BBA (form of red algae).
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-22-2020, 02:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

I guess I don't see the feathery attribute in the OP's photo. It looks more, to me, like a coating on feathery plants and hardscape. I never saw white BBA before (where is the chlorophyll?), but it is certainly worth testing with the alcohol, which will rule in or out, hair algae. It must turn red after a few days to verify this (hence the name: red algae). If it just kills it, then the test might not be a good indicator for hair algae.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-25-2020, 05:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I actually think it is as DaveKS says. Although it's white, after doing some detailed looking in the tank, i found some dark spots too, and they are all feathery.

I did some spot treatment with hydrogen peroxide today. Hopefully it'll go away, I'll probably have to do a few more treatments, but I'll do it every few days or so to let the rest of the tank recover from the treatment.

Thanks again

75G

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-28-2020, 02:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Just a quick update, did the hydro peroxide, it sizzled, but never turned red.

I do feel like it lessened though, but not gone. I'll keep dosing and hope that it'll disappear eventually.

also, another issue that may be causing it is that I haven't cleaned my inline diffuser since I started the tank (almost a year now). I ordered another diffuser so that I can replace and clean the current one. My drop checker didnt really change much color, but I just assumed it was because the solution was too old/water got into it. I got new solution and used it, but color doesn't change much, so i'm assuming CO2 isnt really getting diffused.

75G

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode