Need Help With Algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Need Help With Algae

Hey guys, found this forum from doing research to try and fix my algae problems but I am at the point where I don't know what to do next to combat it. I have been fighting algae for probably the last 5 months with the tank. I have tried changing lighting duration, food quantity, fertilizer type and quantity, with CO2 and without, etc and haven't had any luck actually keeping the algae away. I do water changes once a week (4 gal/25%) and have tried twice a week but it didn't seem to help me and I know other people have said that it helps the algae anyways since it can adapt quicker to the new water conditions than the plants. I'm just hoping someone else has a suggestion that can help as I am just getting tired of having an algae tank haha. I will link an album with pictures of the tank and the most recent water tests. Thanks!

Tank Details:
- Fluval Spec 16 Gal.
- Stock Lights (led, 10w, 7000k)
- Stock pump (132 gal/hr)
- Heated and stays @78*F

Fish:
- 6 Leopard Danios
- 2 Otocinclus

Ferts:
Currently using
- Aquarium Co-op
- Easy Green
- Easy Iron
- Easy Carbon
- Easy Root Tabs
Have used
- Seachem
- Flourish
- Excel
- API
- Leaf Zone

Water:
- Ph: 8.0
- Ammonia: 0.25
- Nitrite: 0
- Nitrate: 5.0
- Phosphate: 0

Photos were taken right before a water change and manual cleaning of all the algae I could get
https://imgur.com/a/D9H2YmG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:16 PM
Algae Grower

You have a nasty BGA outbreak in there!

See this thread:

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...ae-please.html

Also, sidenote, your phosphates are too low. Don't want them to be 0. And based on my tests, Easy Green does not actually have any usable phosphates in it (even though it says it does), so Im not surprised that you're at 0.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the tip, is there a better fert to be using for more phosphates then? And thanks for the link but I have read through that thread already haha it is where I learned of the Ultralife Blue-Green slime remover. I have used it and it worked really well on the first application but that was probably 2 months ago and if I use it now (in conjunction with manual removal) it doesn't do as good of a job and it always ends up coming back. I haven't tried the chemi clean mentioned at the end of that thread so I could give that a shot.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

How long is light on for?

How much at each dose and how often (schedule) are you dosing?

Do you have KH/GH test kits?

Along with cyano mentioned above I’m seeing fuzz algae on plants as well.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-07-2020, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKS View Post
How long is light on for?

How much at each dose and how often (schedule) are you dosing?

Do you have KH/GH test kits?

Along with cyano mentioned above Im seeing fuzz algae on plants as well.
Light is on for 8hrs a day, Easy Green and Easy Iron are dosed once a week after I do my water change, and Easy carbon is dosed every other day. And the only test I have are the ones that I put the results above for unfortunately, but I just got a KH/GH test kit ordered so it should be here tomorrow and I can update with the results of that.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 08:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Id start dosing easy green twice a week but at bit less on each dose, this will keep levels in tank more on a flatline across week. With once a week dosing some of your nutrient levels are probably bottoming out towards end of week. When that happens algae has the upper hand when plant growth stalls out because of nutrient depletion. Id do .8ml of Easy Green 2x week and work up from there.

Easy Iron should not be dosed on same days as Easy Green, Easy Green already has the iron dose in it. Because iron is a quickly depleted nutrient thats dosed in small amounts Easy Iron is for replenishing iron levels in between dosing of main fert.

Light Id cut down to 6hrs a day or put on a dimmer for the time being.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-08-2020, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Id start dosing easy green twice a week but at bit less on each dose, this will keep levels in tank more on a flatline across week. With once a week dosing some of your nutrient levels are probably bottoming out towards end of week. When that happens algae has the upper hand when plant growth stalls out because of nutrient depletion. Id do .8ml of Easy Green 2x week and work up from there.

Easy Iron should not be dosed on same days as Easy Green, Easy Green already has the iron dose in it. Because iron is a quickly depleted nutrient thats dosed in small amounts Easy Iron is for replenishing iron levels in between dosing of main fert.

Awesome thanks! I will do all of those. This is my first fully planted tank so I am still new to all the fertilization stuff. Also I did get my GH/KH kit in today and got ~90ppm for KH and ~143 ppm for GH.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Cool that comes out around 5KH and around 8 for GH, low-medium on hardness scale . In future just count drops until color change happens and that will be hardness on German hardness scale which is the most common way KH and GH are expressed.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:

I'd highly recommend that anyone who is set on using EasyGreen tests their bottle for phosphates first. Mine literally has 0 phosphates straight out of the bottle....
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Cool that comes out around 5KH and around 8 for GH, low-medium on hardness scale . In future just count drops until color change happens and that will be hardness on German hardness scale which is the most common way KH and GH are expressed.

Thanks for the explanation! I dropped the light timmer down to 6 hours and I will switch my fertilizing up as recommended and will report back with what happens.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Quote:
I’d start dosing easy green twice a week but at bit less on each dose, this will keep levels in tank more on a flatline across week. With once a week dosing some of your nutrient levels are probably bottoming out towards end of week. When that happens algae has the upper hand when plant growth stalls out because of nutrient depletion. I’d do .8ml of Easy Green 2x week and work up from there.

Easy Iron should not be dosed on same days as Easy Green, Easy Green already has the iron dose in it. Because iron is a quickly depleted nutrient that’s dosed in small amounts Easy Iron is for replenishing iron levels in between dosing of main fert.

Light I’d cut down to 6hrs a day or put on a dimmer for the time being.
I'd highly recommend that anyone who is set on using EasyGreen tests their bottle for phosphates first. Mine literally has 0 phosphates straight out of the bottle....
Im not set on it, just what I have. Im open to getting a different fertilizer if you have any suggestions on something that would work better for me. But thanks for the heads up about the phosphates, maybe I should test my bottle too then.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:32 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataBro View Post
Im not set on it, just what I have. Im open to getting a different fertilizer if you have any suggestions on something that would work better for me. But thanks for the heads up about the phosphates, maybe I should test my bottle too then.
Here's how I tested mine:

I'm currently dosing dry fertilizer, so I add all the nutrients separately. After my experience with EasyGreen, I didn't want to mess with any other of these home-brew "all in one" ferts...
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
Here's how I tested mine:

https://youtu.be/h2vdPj3A4HU

I'm currently dosing dry fertilizer, so I add all the nutrients separately. After my experience with EasyGreen, I didn't want to mess with any other of these home-brew "all in one" ferts...
Seems easy enough, I will test mine then and we will see! Thanks for the video

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 04:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Easy Green lists this on site....

N 2.66% , P 0.46%, K 9.21%, Mg 0.7%, S 0.80%, B 0.015%, Cu 0.00%, Fe 0.13%, Mn 0.036%, Mo 0.00%, Zn 0.072%
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:57 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Easy Green lists this on site....

N 2.66% , P 0.46%, K 9.21%, Mg 0.7%, S 0.80%, B 0.015%, Cu 0.00%, Fe 0.13%, Mn 0.036%, Mo 0.00%, Zn 0.072%
Yeah, I know they list it in the ingredients... but when I was using it, my aquarium always tested at 0 phosphates. That's why I tested the EasyGreen liquid for phosphates...and the fertilizer straight out of the bottle still tested ZERO.

If you watch the video I posted, I applied the same test to Seachem Phosphorus, which lists almost an identical percentage of Phosphorus on the ingredients as EasyGreen.
Seachem shows phosphates in the test, and EasyGreen shows nothing.

I emailed Aquarium Coop about this, and they replied with a message from their manufacturer saying that they don't know why this is the case, and that maybe one of their chelating agents is messing it up. I asked them to explain exactly how that could happen, and they never replied back. Seems fishy to me....

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode