What Algae is this please? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
What Algae is this please?

Hi there, please can you tell me what algae this is and what I can do to get rid of it please? I have a heavily planted tank and inject Co2 as well. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0142E1FA-0960-4311-A8D6-2B8B77E16AF3_1594049905401.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	900635  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 04:16 PM
Algae Grower

From the photo, it looks like Cyanobacteria.

Getting rid of it...is a little complicated. You'll need to provide more details about your tank
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fermentedfunk View Post
From the photo, it looks like Cyanobacteria.

Getting rid of it...is a little complicated. You'll need to provide more details about your tank
Thanks for the information. I have a fluval 240, not heavily stocked with sand and gravel substrate. Lots of valisneria and other plants.

I have a fluval plant 3.0 which is on 8 hours a day. Power head in one corner and the usual outlet in the other corner.

Dosing aquarium plant food.co.uk three times a week at 50ml.

It’s a fluval 305 canister filter with biohome ultimate in it

Tank is at 25oC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5D0A06BB-4C8A-43AD-A3F4-F5B5ECD9B751_1594054818778.jpeg
Views:	28
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	900637  

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 05:52 PM
Algae Grower

So first we need to confirm its Bluegreen Algae (Cyanobacteria). If you remove some from the tank, is it more like slime or more like a mass of threads? If it's like slime, 99% chance its Cyano. If its not Cyano and an actual algae, then we need to look at light/co2/plant mass/nutrient balance.

Now, BGA doesn't respond to the typical methods of algae removal, because it's a bacteria (but a photosynthetic bacteria...so it's almost like a weird plant/bacteria hybrid type of creature). And since it's a bacteria, it requires some more drastic measures to eliminate.

The main two options are:

A) Tank blackout.
Remove ALL of the BGA that's visible. Clean your tank as much as possible, clean your filter well, and water change. Then turn off your light, and wrap the tank in black plastic so that absolutely no light can get in. Leave it this way for 3-5 days. With this method, some people report success, but sometimes the BGA comes back and requires additional attempts.

B) Erythromycin treatment.
This is an antibiotic, and it kills the cyanobacteria. It shouldn't harm your biofilter, but it MIGHT, so make sure to check your ammonia/nitrites during/after the treatment. Also sterilize anything like nets, buckets, water-change hoses, etc, because you could reintroduce the bacteria into your tank after the treatment (this also applies to the blackout method)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:03 PM
Algae Grower

i've used ultralife reef products' blue-green slime stain remover. works well. does not affect nitrifying bacteria.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
i've used ultralife reef products' blue-green slime stain remover. works well. does not affect nitrifying bacteria.
That also seems to provide good results...I'm always just nervous about products that don't list any of the ingredients and call it a "secret mix" Its possible that it's just rebranded erythromycin powder...who knows! lol
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:16 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
That also seems to provide good results...I'm always just nervous about products that don't list any of the ingredients and call it a "secret mix" Its possible that it's just rebranded erythromycin powder...who knows! lol
box says, "contains no algaecides or eythromycin succinate" but it does have "natural cellular matter, select biological accelerators and special supplements". so yeah, secret mix.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 06:20 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by moke View Post
box says, "contains no algaecides or eythromycin succinate"
Weird..... well, whatever it is, it works. We know that much
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Algae Grower

It is cyanobacteria and I had extremely tough time with this algae. It is extremely difficult to get rid of them and in fact at one point I almost lost all my plants to this algae. I then found chemi clean and this is extremely effective. It is usually advertised for red cyanobacteria in reef tanks, but it works for fresh water as well. The instructions are a bit misleading. Assuming you have enough plants, you can dose according to the instructions, but instead of making water changes in 2 days (as instructed) leave it for a week and make a large water change. Make sure to monitor your fish behavior since this might lead to loss in oxygen levels. I never had any problem since my tank is densely planted. You will see the bacteria rot away and become brown and stale.

Good Luck
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2020, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all your advice everyone. It’s very much appreciated. I’ll give all your suggestions a go and fingers crossed I don’t loses any plants or fish.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 05:42 AM
Algae Grower

Fight that Cyano bacteria

Remove as much of the slime as possible, 70% water change, then at least 50% water changes often, for the slime in the gravel by the glass use an old credit card to get as much off as possible, suction it out, create a trench by the glass and insert some ADA Bacter 100. Turn off the CO2, turn on the oxygen, and proceed with the dark out, reduce feeding, stop fertilizing, use some water tests to find out what is out of balance and the cause, continue 50 % water changes, and add some more beneficial bacteria to give the cyano some aerobic competition. Erythromycin I would avoid because it also kills the beneficial bacteria in your filter and soil, and it can create Erythromici-resistant strains of bacteria, and let's not forget it is still an antibiotic also used in human medicine - I think we have enough super bugs in 2020.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2020, 08:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

What is your scheduled intensity on Fluval light? Sometimes just giving tank more ramping hours and less hrs of full midday intensity can help a lot. Cyanobacteria have symbiotic algae as part of their tissue, even theories about spectrum of light exist showing that this algae has a preference for light in the 605nm range which is basically warm yellows.

Other possible reasons is excess DOC levels in tank and/or even possibly anaerobic activity in substrate, usually from poor circulation patterns in tank. Not about LPH in tank but actual flow patterns across substrate levels. Anaerobic activity releases nitrogen gas which rises from substrate, symbiotic blue/green algae in cyanobacteria is a nitrogen fixing bacteria, remove its nitrogen source and it will go away.

Answer
Could be A
Could be B
Could be C
Could be a combination of all the above.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2020, 03:14 PM

Quote:
So first we need to confirm its Bluegreen Algae (Cyanobacteria). If you remove some from the tank, is it more like slime or more like a mass of threads? If it's like slime, 99% chance its Cyano. If its not Cyano and an actual algae, then we need to look at light/co2/plant mass/nutrient balance.

Now, BGA doesn't respond to the typical methods of algae removal, because it's a bacteria (but a photosynthetic bacteria...so it's almost like a weird plant/bacteria hybrid type of creature). And since it's a bacteria, it requires some more drastic measures to eliminate.

The main two options are:

A) Tank blackout.
Remove ALL of the BGA that's visible. Clean your tank as much as possible, clean your filter well, and water change. Then turn off your light, and wrap the tank in black plastic so that absolutely no light can get in. Leave it this way for 3-5 days. With this method, some people report success, but sometimes the BGA comes back and requires additional attempts.

B) Erythromycin treatment.
This is an antibiotic, and it kills the cyanobacteria cyberpunk. It shouldn't harm your biofilter, but it MIGHT, so make sure to check your ammonia/nitrites during/after the treatment. Also sterilize anything like nets, best mask, buckets, water-change hoses, etc, because you could reintroduce the bacteria into your tank after the treatment (this also applies to the blackout method)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode