Algae on DHG, Tank Walls - Setup Advice?
I’ve got a really nasty case of brownish algae attacking my DHG and green algae slime on my glass. I took photos after a water change and some trimming so the tank is looking better than average. With the DHG it seems to start at the ends of the blades and work it’s way down to the base. It seems to be killing individual blades of grass. I can remove it with my fingers and some trimming but sometimes entire blades will fall off while doing this. Removing it seems to work temporarily but it comes back quickly sometimes even in a day or two. Also getting frequently pelted with green slime on the glass and lava rocks every couple days.
A little background: My gf got a small betta bowl last winter that has slowly evolved into a high-ish tech planted tank. I got a rimless 17gallon for her for Christmas and over time we’ve added a second light, pressurized Co2, dosing and upgraded from a HOB to an Eheim canister.
My hunch is that either the lighting isn't intense enough down at the substrate (which would be unfortunate since I just bought a second Satellite Planted Plus) or somehow changing my filter reset the nitrogen cycle. Each light puts out 36 PAR at 12" and I have them as close together as possible shining right down on the front of the tank where the bulk of the DHG is. I would think where the light cones are overlapping the grass is getting at least 60 PAR but that could be wrong, I'm having difficulty researching how overlapping light affects PAR. I kept my HOB filter running for a week while the new Eheim ran to get the media cycled but the HOB actually started leaking so I took it off sooner than I planned on. I also discovered a kink in my Eheim's hoses which was significantly reducing flow - maybe killing the beneficial bacteria? Fixed that as soon as I found it.
• Ph - floating between 6.5–7
• Ammonia - 0
• Nitrite - 0
• Nitrate - 5–10ppm
• Kh -5–7
Tank Setup (pics attached):
• 17 gallon Landen rimless tank
• 2x Current USA Satellite Planted Plus LED
• 5lb Co2 with regulator + solenoid
• Eheim 2217 filled with Seachem Matrix and polyfil
• Substrate: mixture of ADA Amazonia and Fluval Stratum
Maintenance, Dosage, Etc:
• 1-2x weekly 50% water changes
• Daily dose of Seachem Flourish Excel 2-3 ml
• 3x weekly dose of NA Thrive
• Co2 comes on at 9 am and turns off at 6pm (1.5-2 bubbles/second)
• Lights come on at 11am and turns off at 6pm (no dimming)
• Trimming and picking off dead bits of grass and algae daily and scrubbing glass
• I'm feeding the fish very carefully, little pinches of fry and bug bites and make sure all is eaten before feeding more.
• Struggling carpet of DHG
• 3x anubias nana petite
• Few stems of Bacopa caroliniana (not in love with this, thinking of removing it)
• I'll be adding more anubias nana and some java ferns next week
• 1x female betta
• 6x neon tetra
• 2x green tetra
• 1x zebra danio
• 10x amano shrimp
Last edited by ande3480; 06-30-2020 at 03:07 AM.
Reason: moving photos, formatting