Green Water Algea - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 05:48 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (9/100%)
Green Water Algea

Hey everyone!

I got out of the hobby for 4 years and sold all three of my tanks. Well I finished my masters degree and celebrated with starting a ne 30G planted tank!

So I've got the tank to cycle and it took a month. Parameters are pH 6.8, Ammonia 0ppm, Nitrites 0ppm, Nitrates 20 to 40 ppm, temp 74.5 farenheit. Running a fluval 3.0 12 hours a day with pressurized Co2 keeping the drop checker green during lights on hours. Mid way through stocking with 4 mystery snails, 3 iris, 6 neons and 20 TVs.

Got hit with some serious green algea. Cant see the back of the tank it's so bad. I've reduced the light period to 8, reduced feeding but I was feeding a very small amount once every other day. Filters are clean and I've been doing 30% water changes every week.

Will reducing the light and a 30% water change be enough? Could it be my phosphates?

Really stumped because I cant see anything in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
dim your lights and run for only 6 hours a day. what kind of plants do you have? what percentage of your tank's footprint is planted? are you dosing ferts? do at least weekly 50% water changes, especially if you are dosing ei levels. don't complete stocking your fish yet, get a handle on the gw first.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

What moke said. ^^^

However, for near-instant gratification, a Diatom Filter will take it out in about an hour.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 04:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks! Going to do a 50% water change in the AM. Dimmed the lights to 8 hours yesterday but I'll go to 6 tomorrow.

I was doing flourish twice a week but I stopped when the water got cloudy.

I'd say its 1/3 planted, getting alot of plants seeding off so I'm replanting to help tank up more nutrients.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 05:04 AM
Algae Grower

Get some duckweed! That should take care of it in a couple of days!

Doug
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 01:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I wanted to avoid that, it takes over the top.of the tank in like 2 days lol.

I need to check my phosphates because I think that's the culprit. Did a 50% water change yesterday and I can at least see my fish.

If it doesnt clear up over the next few days duckweed might be my next option.

I had a UV sterilizer in my last tank and I wasnt a fan of using it

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 01:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
GW can be tough sometimes to clear up, the UV will get rid of it in a few days. Why weren't you a fan?

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 08:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

There are a lot more easier to manage floating plant than duckweed (aquarium herpes). Frogbit, dwarf water lettuce, salvinia and red root floaters will all do job just as well.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 10:10 PM
Algae Grower

floating plants are fine, but they don't eliminate the root cause of gw: the level and duration of light you were using. doesn't help that your tank is still in its infancy. fluval 3.0 is giving you high light but is dimmable. start with 6 hrs a day at 80% max (noticed you said you "dimmed" light from 12 to 8 to 6 hours). cut hours and cut fluval's output
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2020, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
The few times I got GW i was actually caused by a singular event and not an ongoing condition like too much light. The event for me was having disturbed the substrate and releasing ammonia into the water column. All I did was use the UV for a few days it cleared up and never came back. I guess it could be caused be too much light but that wasn't the root cause for me. So increasing uptake and water changes can definitely help, although the timeline to get rid of it is unclear.

2 Foot Rimless Tank - Under Construction

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 04:55 AM
Algae Grower

I battled this recently as well. Tank was setup for over a year and boom pea soup. Green machine uv light cleared it right up. I removed the UV light / filter. I dont keep it in there but having this tool in my pocket will save me countless hours of frustrations. So my suggestion is get the UV light and remove it when it's cleared up.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 02:04 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunny View Post
I battled this recently as well. Tank was setup for over a year and boom pea soup. Green machine uv light cleared it right up. I removed the UV light / filter. I dont keep it in there but having this tool in my pocket will save me countless hours of frustrations. So my suggestion is get the UV light and remove it when it's cleared up.
The best idea here is a UV light. Use for only 7 days or less and all is cleared up. Remove it and set it aside.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode