Is a bleach dip a good idea for a spiderwood with algae on it? - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
  • 3 Post By Discusluv
  • 3 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is a bleach dip a good idea for a spiderwood with algae on it?

I have a spiderwood that I pulled from my 75g tank and want to put into the 40B that I'm setting up. It has a green coating on the wood which I assume is algae. If I put it in a 19/1 bleach dip for a few minutes, then rinse well, then let sit overnight in clean water with a heavy dose of de-chlorinator will that get rid of the algae or at least keep it from spreading in the tank. It will be a week+ before I fill the tank with water, so what I'm hoping is to kill all of the algae on it beforehand. If it makes any difference I will be doing a fishless cycle and haven't decided yet whether to plant before during, or after the cycle. Any suggestions welcome.

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 07:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
I have a spiderwood that I pulled from my 75g tank and want to put into the 40B that I'm setting up. It has a green coating on the wood which I assume is algae. If I put it in a 19/1 bleach dip for a few minutes, then rinse well, then let sit overnight in clean water with a heavy dose of de-chlorinator will that get rid of the algae or at least keep it from spreading in the tank. It will be a week+ before I fill the tank with water, so what I'm hoping is to kill all of the algae on it beforehand. If it makes any difference I will be doing a fishless cycle and haven't decided yet whether to plant before during, or after the cycle. Any suggestions welcome.
I would never use bleach on something so porous. I mean, maybe it would be fine, but it would be much safer to use hydrogen peroxide or Excel.
deeda, Leeatl and Deanna like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 08:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

You could use excel/hp as suggested, but honestly just scrub it off/rinse and put it in the tank. If conditions in new tank are right for algae you'll get it regardess of the wood piece. You'l never keep a tank sterile of algae by dipping, rinsing, treating hardscape.
deeda, Leeatl and Ken Keating1 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
You could use excel/hp as suggested, but honestly just scrub it off/rinse and put it in the tank. If conditions in the new tank are right for algae you'll get it regardless of the wood piece. You'll never keep a tank sterile of algae by dipping, rinsing, treating hardscape.
Thanks, I have some Glutaraldehyde so I'll give it a good scrubbing then spritz some on before I put it in the tank. Another question. Is it ok to use one of those green pot scrubbing pads on it? I know that they're not for aquarium use, but where this will be done outside of the tank and rinsed off will there be any problems using one to clean the wood?

The real fountain of youth is being a musician
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-15-2020, 10:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchblack View Post
Thanks, I have some Glutaraldehyde so I'll give it a good scrubbing then spritz some on before I put it in the tank. Another question. Is it ok to use one of those green pot scrubbing pads on it? I know that they're not for aquarium use, but where this will be done outside of the tank and rinsed off will there be any problems using one to clean the wood?
You mean a new one right? If yes, I don't see a problem as long as nothing breaks off and stays in the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode