Black Beard Aglae Problem - Will Excel work? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Black Beard Aglae Problem - Will Excel work?

Hi everyone,

I seem to have a BBA problem, and only at the front of my tank where my amano pearl grass grows, and there's also on some on the gravel.

In the tank I also have crypts (some little black spots are on them but only one or two leaves), and jungle vals.

I've heard either spot treating or dosing the whole tank with Excel can help, but I'm worried how my jungle vals and crypts will react to that.

My LED lights are currently on for 9 hours a day, I'm going to try reducing it to 8 but I'm not sure if that will help.

I also change 20% of the water every week -- should I try changing it more or less?

Thank you in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-27-2020, 09:52 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Excel kills BBA, no question. I've had less than stellar luck using it on Vals, and Crypts hate anything that is different from what they are accustomed to but typically grow back even if the leaves all melt. I'm not a big fan of using Excel by the package instructions. I don't like putting it in my tanks at all really, but it's a valuable algaecide. I will dip, spray or brush my hardscape and any filter parts that get any BBA or green spot growing on them as I see it -which I use depends on where it is. If it's a filter intake, I'll just soak it in a tupperware with Excel for 30 seconds or so, rinse and it won't be there much longer. If it's a smaller Anubias or such, a paintbrush works well. Contact time needn't be long at all. If it's a giant piece of driftwood or such, I'll put some in a spray bottle and spray it down then rinse. A respirator is not optional: https://www.sunkengardens.net/blog/2...glutaraldehyde . I don't expect that fiddling with photoperiod or slightly changing more or less water is going to have much impact. My best advice for keeping BBA at bay is keep everything clean. Filter media, substrate, everything -keep the mulm and muck to a minimum. Do a search here for the "one two punch punch" method, as well as a search for BBA in general. There are some epic threads regarding BBA that have a ton of information and often some excitement such as heated arguments and members getting banned. It is in my opinion, the toughest algae to rid a tank of once it has a foothold, but it can be done.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-28-2020, 12:30 AM
Algae Grower

Iíve found regular dosing will reduce it over time (under very high light I continued to grow it stunningly well ). Havenít tried spot treatment as have used H2O2 there. Only other thought was be careful not to spot treat too much that it impacts water chemistry (Iíve found I set out to do a part of tank but the more I look the more I find). Some thoughts.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you! The problem is that the BBA is here and there in my amano pearl grass and I don't think pulling them all out and brushing them with Excel is going to feasible ):

I guess the only thing I can do is do the one-two-punch method and hope my vals and crypts survive somehow ):

I guess I can also try and spot treat with Excel of H2O2, that way my vals and crypts (which don't really have BBA on them anyway) would take on less of it.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 12:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroiimiyumi View Post
I guess the only thing I can do is do the one-two-punch method and hope my vals and crypts survive somehow ):
You might also loose livestock if you have any. The one-two punch is not a cure just a band-aid. You need to increase uptake of organics and slow it's growth, by either adding more plants, increasing water changes and managing light better for your setup. Contrary to popular belief fill your filter with carbon. This will also aid in removing organic waste. Do this and your BBA will get squeezed out. Just cut away any BBA infected leaves and do the rest.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2020, 10:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have found that the One-Two Punch is just too risky regarding the needed dose of H2O2 to do a good job on the algae (killed many a fish trying it) and the Excel dose is too low to do much. A single 1ml / gal of Excel, or greater, but a week apart, should eliminate the BBA. However, as @Asteroid pointed out, this is a short-term approach, but it will work.

Additionally, ramshorns, and other snails, are great at then cleaning up all the dead algae and preventing it from getting out of control.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 05:11 PM
Algae Grower

Question

What dilution ratio, if any, do you use for dip/spray?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
snip
I will dip, spray or brush my hardscape and any filter parts that get any BBA or green spot growing on them as I see it -which I use depends on where it is. If it's a filter intake, I'll just soak it in a tupperware with Excel for 30 seconds or so, rinse and it won't be there much longer. If it's a smaller Anubias or such, a paintbrush works well. Contact time needn't be long at all. If it's a giant piece of driftwood or such, I'll put some in a spray bottle and spray it down then rinse.

snip

Also battling BBA, I just killed almost all my plants! I was foolish enough to spray 1:1 metricide 14 : water directly onto my plants, outside the tank. Let them be for a few minutes and rinse with fresh water.

-Raj
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2020, 09:40 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
If using Excel I use it straight out of the bottle, no experience with MET-14. You don't want much contact time at all, a few seconds will do. Anything that can be measured in minutes is WAY too long. Hopefully it just burned the leaves and they can bounce back.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode