2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Michael Chan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple of Algae questions:

So my tank has been up and running now for two months. I was hoping to get an Algae ID on this growing on my java fern:

I think it might be staghorn or BBA but not sure. It does not appear as far as I can see on any other plants.

I have been dosing frets for about a month. Nilocg PPS-Pro at about half the daily dose. Since starting the dosing Iíve been having a problem with my filter socks getting clogged up with some sort of algae/fungus. I typically change the socks every three days but have switched to two days. Here is two days of growth:

Iím not sure if you can tell but in the photo looking down the stick the stuff grows across the opening in stringy clumps.

While I didnít get a photo of the socks here is a photo of 3 days of growth on the diffuser plate thingy:

Three days of growth and the sick is completely black and plugged up with the growth.

The sump is in a windowless room in my basement and gets zero light other than when Iím in there. Any idea what this stuff is. I did two Sanitary washes with bleach and a third rinse wash and the socks still donít look clean. Iím thinking about tossing them and getting new socks but worry the stuff will just grow in them too. I never had this issue with socks in my saltwater tanks so trying to figure out what is going on. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-22-2020, 04:56 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks like BBA on the equipment. As for the Java fern, likely staghorn but hard to tell from the photo, almost looks like trails of Java moss growing on the leaves. Excel dips (very quickly, then rinse if using full strength or soak for a half hour at a cup per gallon) work, and pruning to encourage plant growth should help. Keep filter media and substrate as clean as you can. I'd be inclined to trim leaves with algae growth on them to get them out of the tank altogether. Algae blooms 2 months in are pretty standard, but if you can stay on top of them it will go a long way towards the tank's health. Peroxide dosing the aquarium not exceeding 1.5 ML per gallon of actual water volume daily is safe and will keep growth down but won't nuke it like glut (Excel) can. Hang in there!
fftfk likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 12:53 AM
Algae Grower

I'm interested to know if you managed to get control of this algae? I'm looking at building a similar high flow rate shore to shore overflow, but am worried about bba growing in the flow, exactly like you have there.
fftfk likes this.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Chan View Post
I'm interested to know if you managed to get control of this algae? I'm looking at building a similar high flow rate shore to shore overflow, but am worried about bba growing in the flow, exactly like you have there.

Sort of...I removed the plants covered with BBA, increased my CO2, and turned up the flow in the display tank to lessen dead spots and provide for more even mixture of the CO2. I also increased my water changes. It appears to be under control. I say sort of because I am not sure I would have gotten rid of it if I had left the plants in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode