• 1 Post By Nubster
  • 1 Post By Blue Ridge Reef
  • 1 Post By Nubster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Hair algae high tech tank...

Set up my 32g about a month ago. Full of plants. Great growth and pretty heavy plant mass I think. CO2 injection. Med/high light, according to a chart I used for my light, I'm at more than 110 PAR at the substrate. Ferts are Niclog macro/micro according to directions. 50% water change weekly with tap water using Prime. Substrate is Tropica. I did stop doing ferts since my last WC which was about 5 days ago. Plants still growing like crazy but not sure what nitrates are still so high. Not much fish load. I have 9 White Cloud Minnows and 5 Golden Pristella Tetras but algae was starting before I added the fish. I hate the thought I doing multiple WC's weekly but if that's what I have to do...that's what I'll do. I also thought about getting a small RO filter at least for top-offs but I really am only topping off about a gallon a week so I don't know if that would be worth it. Guess it can't hurt.

Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 40
Nitrates tap water 5

That's all I have for parameters. I need to test the rest later. I had to get ready for work and figured nitrate would be most important for now. Anyways, seeing a lot of hair/string algae growing on the leaves of plants and on rocks and it's really starting to PMTFU. Also seeing some green algae on the glass.

Thoughts?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:01 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
First thing I'd do is cut back light intensity. Excel and peroxide are useful in your tool box if it persists, but bright lights and nutrients provide a hard combo to beat algae unless there's a ton of plant growth. With new Tropica soil, I'd expect your fert regimen could be cut back a bit as well, might explain some of your nitrates staying high.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Growth is super fast. I can cut a stem half way down and replant and in 2 days both are back to the top of the water level. I did stop fertilizing for now. Lights are on for 8 hours. I'll cut the intensity back from 30% to 20% and go from there and see what happens. I continue not adding ferts for a while too and see how the nitrates react. Guess I'll throw in a 2nd WC during the week as well. PITA but guess it can't hurt. Not that big of a deal since it's only like 15 gallons of water.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don’t change frequency of your dosing, change the amount your dosing. Just like cutting intensity of light, cut the intensity of your dosing.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 09:32 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
First 3 months in soil tanks with bright light, algae has been a constant battle for me. It does subside, and a direct spray with Peroxide when the water level is low can help a lot. And obviously manual removal, which is easier with hair algae than most anyway.
Greggz likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2020, 10:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I was able to get rid of hair algae real easy. I added the correct dose of Phosban to my canister filter the last time I cleaned it. Within a week the hair algae was gone. I do watch the feeding of the fish. Giving them just enough food. I then after feeding I Bush my hand thru my stem plants to keep the phosphate from the food settling on the plants in the tank.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-26-2020, 12:54 AM
Algae Grower

I've been struggling with hair algae myself. Looking forward to see what works out for you.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Reduced light intensity and stopped ferts for a bit and it seems to be subsiding with no negative effect on plant growth. Things are actually getting out of control. I'm thinking about getting an RO filter at least for top offs. Water from tap is only 5ppm nitrates so I don't think that's really the issue but I don't want to add more nitrates through tap water when I do top offs...which is only a couple gallons of water per week. I may consider just going full RO water for water changes too if I am not able to eliminate the majority of the issue. I want to get some amano shrimp to help but I'd rather fix the problem, not just throw in some band-aids.

Greggz likes this.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Am I seeing mainly GDA? I don't think I see any hair algae. Glut won't affect GDA.

If this is the case, I'd first consider the possibility that CO2 is too low. Have you measured it with the pH drop test? If you end up raising CO2 and get an undesirable increase in plant growth, you can then try throttling growth back by reducing light intensity and/or photoperiod.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I would trim the plants as it is causing water to stand still which leads to algae in that area. Simply putting your hand in the tank and move the water in the aquarium helps a lot. Especially and hour after feed fish so that any fish food does not dissolve in the water resealing
Phosphates cause hair algae.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2020, 10:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I have personally found that pretty much ALL algae issues can be avoided or fixed by reducing organics, increasing uptake, managing light and co2. Every hi-tech tank has N&P, what they don't all have is nuisance algae.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2020, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWiser View Post
I would trim the plants as it is causing water to stand still which leads to algae in that area. Simply putting your hand in the tank and move the water in the aquarium helps a lot. Especially and hour after feed fish so that any fish food does not dissolve in the water resealing
Phosphates cause hair algae.
Did a big trim yesterday actually. The plants just grow crazy fast.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Am I seeing mainly GDA? I don't think I see any hair algae. Glut won't affect GDA.

If this is the case, I'd first consider the possibility that CO2 is too low. Have you measured it with the pH drop test? If you end up raising CO2 and get an undesirable increase in plant growth, you can then try throttling growth back by reducing light intensity and/or photoperiod.
It's there. It's on some of the plant leaves and rocks though much of the stuff on the rocks has turned black and is dying off. I trim the worst leaves and remove so the plant can continue growing new healthy leaves. There's is some green algae on the glass too that wipes away easily. I took the pic before a trim and water change...should have taken it after.

As far as CO2, I'm still micro adjusting to keep the fish happy. When I first got them it was a bit high and I gassed them. Had to turn it off and run an airstone and actually remove some of the fish to a bucket with freshwater. My mistake obviously but everyone pulled through and are doing well. So now I'm just hesitant to bump it up too much to fast. I do need to check the pH drop and see where I am.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode