Cyanobacteria Bloom in DSM Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Cyanobacteria Bloom in DSM Tank

Hello everyone!

I'm new to the forum and signed up just so I could specifically ask this question. (I searched but didn't find anything that was close to my scenario so I'm reaching out for help.)

So about six months ago, my 4 y/o niece ended dumping a whole canister of fish food while I was away and ended up nuking my tank. I came home to what looked like a nuclear wasteland. The whole tank was completely green and covered with cyanobacteria slime. I did my best to manually remove it but to no avail, I tried H2O2 and that didn't seem to do much (Maybe should have used more but its too late now)...

I ended up scrapping everything and restarting completely. I bleached the rocks for a week and completely threw out everything except for some of the substrate. This was my mistake. Its a 29 gallon and I felt bad about throwing away $100+ of Fluval shrimp and plant stratum. So I ended up buying more substrate and rescaped the tank with new ADA Amazonia and planted a bunch of dwarf hair grass and planned on dry starting the tank. After three weeks I noticed a return of cyanobacteria on the surface of my substrate next to the location of my hair grass. I panicked and began to spot treat with H2O2 but ended up severely damaging my hair grass and practically killing some stems while only harming the cyano on the surface.

Unfortunately, I need more time for the hair grass to carpet so I don't want to flood the tank yet. So I cant just use erythromycin, or manual removal, or H2O2.

I know I made a lot of mistakes but I'm asking if anyone knows anything, or has dealt with this before, or can provide advice or something that I can use to save my tank. I really love it and as a college student, I don't have enough money to completely restart from scratch again.

Any help would be HIGHLY appreciated.

Sincerely Mark S.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WIN_20200206_17_14_39_Pro.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	436.5 KB
ID:	892987  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 01:51 AM
Algae Grower

Cyanobacteria is a photosynthesizing BACTERIA! So you can slaughter that nuisance with antibiotics! It is the one and only true way to destroy cyano, and you need to serialize your equipment too. I've used Furan-2 with success.
Since you don't want to flood the tank yet, I would mixing your chosen antibiotic with water and spraying it until the substrate is wet. Continue doing this until the cyano is either dead or you give up.

trahana: now with a custom signature. ...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 04:19 AM Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the advice! I will give it a try and will update you with my results!

Tags
advice, algae, cyanobacteria

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode