Algae growth in new tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae growth in new tank

Hello all ,
So I am a noob in the hobby and this is my first tank
I have been experiencing lots of unknowns and finding it hard to get the answers Im looking for
While doing internet research.
My tank has been set up now for just over a month and things seem to be getting out of control.
I have some massive algae growth going on and trying to figure out the cause ( will add photos)
Tank is 120 liter 32 gallon
Light onf flat one on for 6 hrs a day
Pressurized CO2 at 2 bubbles a second and comes on 2 hrs before lights.
Filter is oase biomaster thermo 350 set at 75 f
As of about a week ago the tank is cycled
No ammonia or nitrite showing in tests but nitrate is also showing 0ppm and never changes
Not sure what this means
I do not have live stock in the tank as of yet either
Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can add more info in needed
Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200129_162419_1580783332529.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	4.17 MB
ID:	892847  

Name:	IMG_20200129_162628_1580783376731.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	5.07 MB
ID:	892855  

Name:	IMG_20200129_162535_1580783400910.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	5.60 MB
ID:	892861  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-06-2020, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Hurray your first algae bloom ..... ok not really a cause for celebration. All part of the process of learning your new hobby or new tank.

The nitrates are probably zero because of no bioload or waste to be converted. Are you dosing? If so probably should have some indication of nitrates I would think. Looks like a bunch of younger plants (I think, assuming) and relatively thin. Its going to be a balance to get them going strong and out competing the algae.

I run low tech and not as experienced with plants. Others will have to give advice on those settings. I would suggest removing what algae you can, do some water changes, and get some live stock (whatever your planning on stocking with). Dont change everything all at once to try and fight it. Just about every tank will go thru cycles at first of different types of algae and once really settled in its a matter of adjusting things to get your parameters where they need to be in order to prevent its return (or minimize it).

Double check your nitrate test kit and if API be sure #2 is really shaken well. Check expiration dates also. List out your fert dosage so others can chime in on that portion. Also is there any direct or indirect sunlight reaching the tank?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

Hey Quint
Thanks for the reply
And yes it's a very new set up and good to know it's just trying to find it's balance lol
I have been been going crazy on my end thinking everything is going tits up lol
As of now I'm not dosing any ferts but have tropica premium and specialized on hand
Just not sure when to start
And thanks for the heads up on the API tests and shaking the parts
I will have to give this a try 👍
I'm planning on grabbing some narite snails and a few Otto's soon but also not sure when I should be adding them
I'm thinking it will be ok now that I am not showing any ammonia or nitrites for a while now
Cheers and thanks again for the reply

Also no direct sun light as tanks is far from any windows

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-08-2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would say your good to go for adding some critters. Just remember (was a big debate about this recently) that once the algae is gone you will have to re home or provide alternate food for your algae eaters.

My lowtech experience had all kinds of algae issues off and on for the first 6 months or so. First diatoms, then long green string algae and green dust algae, then a couple bouts of green soup algae due to inadvertently getting morning sun directly on tank, then a green fuzz type algae. Now I only have a little green spot algae that I continue to mess with but overall have gotten rid of 90% of the algae for the past couple of months I think. Settled into a routine and things seem to be working pretty good (knocks on wood). Everything takes more time with low tech I think so atleast your using CO2 which should help speed things up. Just cant get discouraged and each algae outbreak figure out most likely causes and see if thats something you can adjust as necessary.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Hello Quint
I think I might add some Otto's this weekend and will be sure to feed them some waffers / blanched veg of the algae disappears out if the. Tank
Thanks again for all the info and will post some progress shots if it starts to sort it's self out 👍

Cheers

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode