3Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 1 Post By Hojae84

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Diatoms? What to do?

Ugh, endless issues with this tank haha. I just started Co2 three days ago and what algae I thought would go away is even worse. It’s at least doubled since three days ago. Should I spot treat with H2O2?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8E38C2AA-269D-4F56-8F6E-7A38AC22ABDF_1579570178705.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	892133  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-21-2020, 04:23 AM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Those aren't diatoms. Cladophora? If so, it shouldn't last long with good CO2 levels.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Those aren't diatoms. Cladophora? If so, it shouldn't last long with good CO2 levels.
Came home today with them at least doubled in size. Maybe tripled. I am doing a water change now to remove most of it but it gets such a strong hold on the gravel it’s difficult to fully remove it in just one water change.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 08:48 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looking at that pic, side profile of substrate looks like it’s clogged with excess amounts of detritus. You need to do some serious deep gravel vacuuming. Once that builds in bottom of substrate that thick it blocks of water flow to lower levels. Whole bottom layer of your substrate becomes a festering anoxic sewer. That is primarily cause of that type of algae. CO2 isn’t going to do a thing to fix it.

If it’s growing that type of algae like that I would guess you probably have very poor circulation patterns across substrate level.

Also I don’t hardly see any plants in tank.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 12:55 PM
Algae Grower

Remove as much as you can manually
Then gently squeeze air using turkey baster or pipette on substrate which should cause lots of gunk from substrate to float from substrate to water column
Then big water change targeting siphon at substrate level
May need repeat 2 or 3 times to get ur substrate clean

Also isn't that rizho? Thought clado was green
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 01-23-2020 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 03:30 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hojae84 View Post
Also isn't that rizho? Thought clado was green
Under a microscope it is and often from afar. I had gray to the eye algae that I ID'd as clado under a microscope a while back though I could have misidentified it all along. And this is more brown than gray. There are long Synedra too, which are aggressive stringy diatoms. There is a thread on these forums about the "one-two" punch where a user had success with using peroxide and glut to kill these assorted beasts off. But if conditions are right, it will likely come back so killing existing "algae" is only half the battle. Agree that more plants, more flow, cleaner gravel/more maintenance could only help. Have to wonder if there's an imbalance in the source water, high silicates or such, or if this is solely an issue of the set up and care?

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-22-2020, 10:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonde_Swede00 View Post
Ugh, endless issues with this tank haha. I just started Co2 three days ago and what algae I thought would go away is even worse. Itís at least doubled since three days ago. Should I spot treat with H2O2?
What does this algae feel like? Is it coarse to the touch when grinding it between your fingers. If so even though it doesn't really look like it going off of the feel I would say Cladophora.
If it's slimy I would say possibly Rhizoclonium according to this site Algae Guide.

I have both of these types pop up when dialing in my Co2, once I have everything set and stable they go away.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode