The Planted Tank Forum banner

What is this algae?

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Quesenek 
#1 ·
Well clearly it’s a type of algae, but what type of algae is it and how can I annihilate it with extreme prejudice?

It’s olive green and slimy to the touch. It branches out from the main stem like a tree.

I just completely renovated my tank and this algae was there before. Now I have Co2 and dry fertilizers, so I can strangle this algae however possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#7 ·
You might also try hydrogen peroxide: turn off the filters and use a needleless syringe or pipette to target the algae with about 5ml. Leave the filters off for 15 minutes, then restart. it won't hurt the fish (they'll enjoy chasing the oxygen bubbles that form), but try it first on just one patch to see how the crypts react.

Reactions: kgbudge
#8 ·
I’ll try this then, I took my anbias that was attached to small rock to target the algae with peroxide. Only the anubias and my sword have it. And the filter too of course.

Now I have some black beard or that short brush algae forming too.
My stem plants need to out compete the algae [emoji2955]

#9 ·
Ugh, Staghorn algae, my nemesis.

This type of algae shows up in my tank when the plants stop growing well, and the only way I've been able to kill it is to simply remove as much of it as possible manually at the same time as diagnosing what is the issue with my plants. Once I've corrected my plants and they start growing well again it turns white and disappears until another day.

Things I do when I start seeing this algae:
I look at my maintenance, have I been up on that for example: weekly 50% water changes and shaking out the sponges every time. If I don't do this it allows the algae to take hold.
Are my ferts still good, IE did my auto doser run out of anything.
Do my plants have any deficiencies that I can see?

I've tried everything in the books to kill this algae through chemicals like glut/excel and H2O2 and nothing has worked for me besides making sure my tank is healthy and manual removal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.