Need help, tank is horrific after my stroke - The Planted Tank Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help, tank is horrific after my stroke

So 24 days ago I had a stroke, was admitted to the hospital had surgery etc etc, was in there for 2 weeks, I came home to a complete nightmare, hair algae stew, plants literally brown with holes, someone dumped half a container of NLS flakes in the tank, I don't know if my light was on 24/7 while I was in the hospital, all I know is right now I have a mess, I believe it's greeen spot algae, I don't think it's cyano, it's super hard on the glass hard to scrape off, it's all over leaves of plants killing them and I have no idea how to fix this, I'm super new to the new fluval 3.0 software, I don't know if I'm running it to hard for too long or not hard enough for too short, I'll attach pics for reference hopefully this can be fixed and I don't have to buy all new plants, I can't do anything like water Changes I'm on a 5 lb restriction, but I guide my nephew once a week for the water changes.
55 gallon tank
Ammonia when I got out of the hospital was 0.50-1 ppm, it's zero now
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 15
Phosphate 3.0
Kh 4
Gh 7
Temp 76
Tds 226

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200111-214636_FluvalSmart.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	891829Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_212243.jpg
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	891831Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_212239.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	891833Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_212228.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	891835Click image for larger version

Name:	20200111_212225.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	891837

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:17 AM
Algae Grower

Hopefully you get well soon,
It looks like you got the tank perimeters looking good again, maybe cut the lighting schedule to 8 hours.
Are you dosing with any fertilizer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt69 View Post
Hopefully you get well soon,
It looks like you got the tank perimeters looking good again, maybe cut the lighting schedule to 8 hours.
Are you dosing with any fertilizer?

I hadn't while in the hospital but I just measured out my macros as I did my wc yesterday.
1.40 grams kno3
0.13 grams KH2P04
1.7 grams K2SO4

I dose these as mounts twice a week

How would I redo my programming on the light to lower it to 7-8 hours, it's not on high power for long only 2 hours at 80% but I'm sure 12 hours at 40-60% is a lot as well.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:40 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
I hadn't while in the hospital but I just measured out my macros as I did my wc yesterday.
1.40 grams kno3
0.13 grams KH2P04
1.7 grams K2SO4

I dose these as mounts twice a week

How would I redo my programming on the light to lower it to 7-8 hours, it's not on high power for long only 2 hours at 80% but I'm sure 12 hours at 40-60% is a lot as well.

In the app go into pro mode and select adit then you can select the circle that look like clocks, when there selected you can see the red tear drop with the Time you will be editing. You can move the clock to change time duration below the clocks are the color and intensity slides these will change the intensity of the time at which clock is selected. Iím not sure about a 55 gallon aquarium but unless you are injecting co2 you may not need to go over 50%, hopefully someone that has a 3.0 on a similar tank can jump in.

post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
In the app go into pro mode and select adit then you can select the circle that look like clocks, when there selected you can see the red tear drop with the Time you will be editing. You can move the clock to change time duration below the clocks are the color and intensity slides these will change the intensity of the time at which clock is selected. Iím not sure about a 55 gallon aquarium but unless you are injecting co2 you may not need to go over 50%, hopefully someone that has a 3.0 on a similar tank can jump in.

Before I updated the firmware I ran the light at 75% for 7.5 hours straight, with the new program its not as strong but it is on for 5 hours longer

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am so sorry for your experience. My generic suggestion is that modern lights often offer way more power than we need.

Try a program where no color is above 50%, and total light is only 5-8 hours.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Before I updated the firmware I ran the light at 75% for 7.5 hours straight, with the new program its not as strong but it is on for 5 hours longer

I think you will be able to adjust the light back to 12 hours after you get your algae situated. After you get your tank balanced again hopefully you can adjust it back up. It going to take some consistency to get it cleared up.

post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I am so sorry for your experience. My generic suggestion is that modern lights often offer way more power than we need.

Try a program where no color is above 50%, and total light is only 5-8 hours.
Quote:
I think you will be able to adjust the light back to 12 hours after you get your algae situated. After you get your tank balanced again hopefully you can adjust it back up. It going to take some consistency to get it cleared up.
This is the best I could do, my brain is scrambled from the stroke, in a very dark spot in my life, also I can't concentrate very well, Dr's said its normal and will come back after I heal up, I sure hope so max is 65% for 1.5 hours as I do have rotala rotundifolia that does require a bit stronger light. Ps the 56% is fixed Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200112-230436_FluvalSmart.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	891863

Streetwise likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

We come together on this forum to keep things alive, and sometimes that means forum members, so please just keep posting and sharing. My experience cannot compare, but taking care of aquatic life has helped me too. Plus my rescue stray cat.

Cheers and best wishes

Style: Organic soil (dirt), sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, biofilm, mulm, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Eheim Skim 350, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:14 AM
Algae Grower

The lower lighting should help, and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Best of luck

p0tluck and Streetwise like this.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:31 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Looks like the green spot algae that I deal with lately. Got a handle on all the others but this stuff is a pain. I am low tech and before I started dosing PO4 the GSA would turn into a darn carpet almost. Right now its manageable but still there.

I cut back on the lighting some and started running a siesta for about 2hrs with 7% lighting. This along with the extra phosphates seemed to do the trick for the most part. The snails/shrimps/otos help to keep things in check as well.
Streetwise likes this.

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
We come together on this forum to keep things alive, and sometimes that means forum members, so please just keep posting and sharing. My experience cannot compare, but taking care of aquatic life has helped me too. Plus my rescue stray cat.

Cheers and best wishes
Quote:
The lower lighting should help, and I wish you a speedy recovery.
Best of luck
Big thanks to you both for the speedy recovery wishes and ty for the help and advice, I can't look at this like a total downer, I learned alot the hard way but if it wouldn't of happened now it would of been way worse down the road so I'm a way I'm glad it happened when it did, now I can recover and fix the things I need fixed to live a long and healthy fulfilling life, already stopped smoking which I'm saving $750 a month on can prolly go co2 after I fully heal and get a new setup , I can say that I am lucky that it wasn't as severe as it would have been further down the road, now I'll learn from it and take better care of myself so it don't happen again or I can try to prevent it from happening again anyways.

post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:33 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I am going to take a break from the feels, and go back to light levels.

Cold white, pure white, warm white: (20-50%), mix and match, vary each for fun.
Pink: (05-15%)
Blue: (00-02%)

Scale as necessary for a smaller or larger tank.

I am discussing my program and schedule in other threads, but you should have fun with this light. Don't be afraid to hit Manual for a stunning photo and then go right back to your Pro mode program.

Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|

Media:
|
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Looks like the green spot algae that I deal with lately. Got a handle on all the others but this stuff is a pain. I am low tech and before I started dosing PO4 the GSA would turn into a darn carpet almost. Right now its manageable but still there.

I cut back on the lighting some and started running a siesta for about 2hrs with 7% lighting. This along with the extra phosphates seemed to do the trick for the most part. The snails/shrimps/otos help to keep things in check as well.
Yeah I'm looking into the seista but a bit confused how to add it or what it did exactly, I just updated the light not long ago I didn't even know there was an update till someone told me , could you share your overview so I can see how it is programmed or a link to a video please and ty.

post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-13-2020, 04:43 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah I'm looking into the seista but a bit confused how to add it or what it did exactly, I just updated the light not long ago I didn't even know there was an update till someone told me , could you share your overview so I can see how it is programmed or a link to a video please and ty.

I am bit challenged when it comes to getting stuff off the phones and onto the computer.

I believe there are something like 10 program points, maybe 12 cant remember. If I remember correctly I have it set to turn on and ramp up from 0900-0930, steady at 0930-1130, ramp down 1130-1200, siesta 1200-1400, ramp up 1400-1430, steady from 1430-2030, ramp down for lights out at about 2100.

If I come across video will post it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode