• 1 Post By minorhero
  • 1 Post By SwampGirl
  • 1 Post By minorhero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need tank. Cyano?

I have a 5 day old tank. 36 gallon bow front with a Oase canister filter, controsoil substrate and a Fluval 3.0. I think I may have some flow issues at the lower part of the tank as I’ve developed an algae problem that may be cyano on the dwarf hairgrass. I dialed down the lights a bit and am going to add a power head for increased flow, but I’m wondering if I should add Chemipure or something to nip it in the bud quickly before there are any fish. Anyone have any advice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1573513178869.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	889271  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

Is the algae slimy or stringy? If its stringy I would attempt to just manually remove as much as possible and reduce the lights/ crank up co2 if you have it, I wouldn't recommend chemipure or anything for hair algae if that's what it is. Can you pull it off?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Its really tough to pull off. The hairgrass is still newly planted so its tough to pull on. Doesn't feel too slimy but then again it just sprang up today and I'm not getting much off the grass. I meant Chemiclean by the way. I've read that it kills cyano well.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

What is your light period and are you doing daily water changes of 50% ?

A new active substrate tank like you have should have a light cycle of around 7-8 hours a day (some like myself put a break in the middle others go straight through) and you should be doing 50% water changes every day for the week, every other day for the second week, 3 times in week 3, and 2 times in week 4 and thereafter once a week.

All the water changes are to reduce the extra nutrients in the tank from new aquasoil. Your plants are not established so they can't use all the nutrients leeching and there is probably too many nutrients leeching right now anyway.
TreeofSouls likes this.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thx for the help. I’m on a 10 hour light cycle but the first and last hour the lights are basically moon setting. I’ve drastically reduced the power of the LED’s for most of the day using the Fluval app. They’re at full power for 2 of those hours. I’ll begin the water changes ASAP, I was thinking once a week would be enough. Hopefully the powerhead will help. Does it look like cyano?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:28 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeofSouls View Post
Thx for the help. I’m on a 10 hour light cycle but the first and last hour the lights are basically moon setting. I’ve drastically reduced the power of the LED’s for most of the day using the Fluval app. They’re at full power for 2 of those hours. I’ll begin the water changes ASAP, I was thinking once a week would be enough. Hopefully the powerhead will help. Does it look like cyano?
Meh not to my eye. But the best way to know if it's cyano is to smell your tank. Stir the water a bit and take a wiff. If it really stinks it's probably cyano. If it's just normal fish tank smell then not.
TreeofSouls likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thx Hero. Tank smells fine. Maybe it is just green algae. I don't want to black out the tank as the hairgrass is newly planted. I'll start the water changes tomorrow and dial back the lights some more.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 09:27 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeofSouls View Post
Thx Hero. Tank smells fine. Maybe it is just green algae. I don't want to black out the tank as the hairgrass is newly planted. I'll start the water changes tomorrow and dial back the lights some more.
It does seem to probably be hair algae, not cyanobacteria which should come off easily in sheets and yes, have that old boot smell. Hair algae is easy enough to manage by just manly removal, reach in and grab some with forceps or try an old toothbrush, then twist it and the algae will pull off the plant. If they're really new just pull the whole plant out and clean then replant. Doing more water changes will help it from coming back in the next 2 weeks.
TreeofSouls likes this.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Any particular clean up crew that you'd recommend?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Amano shrimps. Big ones if you can get them.
TreeofSouls likes this.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2019, 03:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thx again for all the advice. Does anybody have the Fluval 3.0? And if so, can you recommend a setting/intensity for my tank. It's a bonsai type theme with dwarf hairgrass as the (hopefully) foreground. I'm wondering if the algae is coming from light intensity and I'm not sure how much to dial it down as I don't want to stunt the growth of the DH. The floaters at the top are in a plant trap I made to give the marimo tree a bit of shade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2192.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	389.4 KB
ID:	889475  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode