Algae Identification and Way of Elimination - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae Identification and Way of Elimination

Hello everyone. Right now, I'm dealing with a case of an algae I can't for sure identify (I'm not the best when it comes to these things) and it's messing up my scape and not letting the plants grow as they should. All 4 pictures refer to the same algae. Some relevant information about the aquarium:
~I have 2 45W lamps that are on for 9 hours a day
~I inject moderate to high amounts of CO2
~I dose using dry ferts according to the EI
~I change 50% of the aquarium's water each week
~The only plant in the aquarium is Glossostigma Elatinoeides
~The inhabitants are amanos,cardinals and otos

This has been an issue for the past 2 months, and for the previous year before that, I was dealing with an absolute terrible infestation of cyanobacteria. After finally getting rid of the cyanobacteria, I have this... The original scape was supposed to be an Iwagumi, and it looked quite pretty when it was still algae-free a year ago...

Any idea what the algae in the picture is and what I can do to get rid of it? I've tried manually removing it but no matter what I do it keeps coming back ; it's covered the rocks,the plants, the gravel under the plants... Any and all help is much appreciated (apologies for the bad photo quality)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191109_132759.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	367.4 KB
ID:	889151  

Name:	IMG_20191109_132816.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	889153  

Name:	IMG_20191109_132831.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	889155  

Name:	IMG_20191109_132841.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	889157  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:32 PM
Planted Member

Looks like itís probably green hair algae

90w on for 9hrs per day is WAY too much (at least for my heavily planted tanks). Iíd suggest cutting that to 4-5 hours at first then going from there. If your setup is capable of ramping, then you can add a little more time, but be careful.

IF your fertilizing schedule is good, you should be able to control the algae with reducing your photoperiod. But keep in mind that you need to adjusted fertilizing as you adjust lighting.... same thing with CO2. Itís hard to say just turn everything down.... you might be fertilizing and adding CO2 correctly for a shorter photoperiod.... so youíll have to experiment a bit.

Iíd probably also do an extensive trimming and remove as much as you possibly can during your next water change. Even if you need to trim and remove a significant amount of plant mass. Once you get your lighting and fertilizer dialed in, theyíll grow faster than they did in the past theyíre competing with the algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:48 PM
Planted Member

I believe it is Rhizoclonium, but your tank is out of balance. I agree with the above comment that you have too much light.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your advice,I'll reduce the amount of time the lights are on immediately, and I'll try to remove as much of the nasty stuff as I can. I haven't heard of rhizoclonium before, is there anything specific in the way you get rid of it? Do you think it'd be a good idea to either spot treat with hydrogen peroxide or treat the entire tank, just to help everything die quickly or would that be unnecessary?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazon Sword View Post
Thank you both for your advice,I'll reduce the amount of time the lights are on immediately, and I'll try to remove as much of the nasty stuff as I can. I haven't heard of rhizoclonium before, is there anything specific in the way you get rid of it? Do you think it'd be a good idea to either spot treat with hydrogen peroxide or treat the entire tank, just to help everything die quickly or would that be unnecessary?

Iíd be weary about treating with peroxide... that stuff will kill anything it touches if you donít have it within or below the right concentration range. And in my failed experiences with it... it took about a week for signs of imminent plant death to show up... so you donít get immediate results.

If you can get everything dialed in reasonably well... and youíre diligent about your water changes (maybe do some extras for a few weeks) and you physically remove as much as You can a couple times a week... the Amanos will eventually be able to take over for you. The real key is troubleshooting whatís the main cause of the issue (either light, CO2 or fert schedule) and then adjust everything into line

Unfortunately itís not really a quick process and you wonít find any secret trick to provide immediate results. Right now Iím dealing with some Black brush algae. It took off 3 weeks ago... Iím getting it under control.... but in 3 weeks Iíve only reduced it to about 50% of what it was at itís worst. Maybe another 3 itíll be gone lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Ok then, thank you for the advice. I believe I have just realised why my photoperiod is this long... I used to have another planted tank with a million vallisneria gigantea and lots of stem plants, and despite 9 hours of light a day and a ton of fertilisers, it was almost impossible to see algae anywhere. How stupid of me, I brought this upon myself. I'll try to remove as much of the stuff as I can and do 3 water changes a week, perhaps even recruit more amanos to join the club, and hopefully everything will come back to its original state. Again, thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. I know how frustrating it is when stuff isn't going as intended... I've been waiting for a year to see my aquarium the way I envisioned it, but hopefully we'll get there soon. Best of luck with the black brush algae, I understand it's not easy to get rid of.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 04:12 PM
Planted Member

Yep, mechanical removal and reduction in light is your best defense. I wouldn't try peroxide.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode