• 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 2 Post By Streetwise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need a magnetic algae cleaner

Folks,

My 72 gallon tank has some algae on the wall and its pretty bad. I do have one of those Stainless Steel Algae Scraper Cleaner with Blades. it does have handle that is long enough. The problem is, since my tank is about 24 inches, its really difficult to apply enough pressure when I am trying to clean at the bottom area.

So I am thinking about getting a magnetic ones. The one here seems to have some good reviews. It does say that it is good enough for up to 125 gallon. So that should be good for me, yes?

If you folks do not think this is not a good one, can you please share any Amazon link that you'd think is good?

What are the differences between algae cleaner and scraper? Which one do I need?

My tank is made of glass, I think thats important here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:08 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
I use and like Mag Floats. The 125 model should work fine, obviously no razor blade on these so they work by friction alone and have a rough scrubbing surface on the inside piece.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 07:13 PM
Algae Grower

Love the mag floats! And you can get scrapers for them if you want/need.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:19 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Flipper! Easy to change from scrubbing pad side to razor blade side while IN the tank.
3 different sizes to choose from and pretty strong magnets.
https://amzn.to/2ATp4lh

Mag Floats are so bulky.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 08:26 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (12/100%)
The 125 isn't too bulky (IMO) but the 350 gallon one is a beast. I'm guessing you've seen/had that one, though I suppose "bulky" is a relative term. Here's a 125 gallon:

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2019, 09:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
The 125 isn't too bulky (IMO) but the 350 gallon one is a beast. I'm guessing you've seen/had that one, though I suppose "bulky" is a relative term. Here's a 125 gallon:
I just never liked them. And the Flipper is pretty thin as far as algae scrapers go. It just doesn't float as well because they don't license the floating tech from Mag Float.
But it helps keep the cost down.

Back in the day, Algae Free magnets were the bomb. So much stronger than Mag Float. Mag Float was so weak and cheap in comparison.

I don't know that any are perfect, but after using a bunch for saltwater the Flipper tops my list.

-Dennis
WATER BOX CLEAR PRO 6025 (143 gallons) | 3x GHL MITRAS LX7004 LED | 2x OASE BIOMASTER THERMO | GHL PROFILUX 4 CONTROLLER | GHL DOSER 2.1 | CO2 ART PRO ELITE REGULATOR | NILOCG NA ADVANCED CO2 REACTOR

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have Magfloats and they are ok . The inside piece just has a piece of hook and loop (velcro) on it and takes a lot of passes to clean . I cut pieces of Magic Eraser or those dish scrubbing abrasive pads to the size of my Magfloats and use it on the inside and it works really well , much better than the stock pad . The Flipper looks interesting , but I have spent all the $30+ for algae scrapers I am going to for one lifetime....lol Also it has been my experience that I have to use a razor blade or scraper to get that tough stuff at the bottom of the glass .
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Last edited by Leeatl; 10-10-2019 at 01:11 AM. Reason: add on
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 02:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

So after reading this thread, I splurged & got a Flipper for the GDA on my 55g. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I must say I'm underwhelmed. The razor blade barely makes a difference in the heavy GDA on the back & sides, or even the front where there's less buildup. And the scrubber side isn't much better. I'd looked at a bunch of rave reviews & videos online--but they were all for reef tanks. Bought my tank used, so wondering if the glass could be more abraded making it more difficult to remove the GDA on the walls?

Thinking the Flipper I had on order would make short work of all the algae, I went 2 wks w/o cleaning anything but the front glass. Now I'm back to my scraper, the scrubby side of an old kitchen sponge, lots of elbow grease, and wet armpits.....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've outsourced most of my glass cleaning to my snails, otocinclus, and shrimp.

I do have a magfloat, but I try not to catch even a grain of sand with it.

Style: Organic soil, sand, gravel, plants, moss, algae, snails, shrimp, small fish
Tech: Fluval Plant 3.0 Nano, Top Fin MF10, Tunze 3161, Neptune Apex EL
Tanks:
|
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 05:08 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I've outsourced most of my glass cleaning to my snails, otocinclus, and shrimp.

I do have a magfloat, but I try not to catch even a grain of sand with it.
I've got all of the above, but while they're all fat & happy, they're not making much of a dent. The puffer ate all the snails but the MTS before he turned into a fin chomper & had to be rehomed. Wondering if some big mystery snails would cut a swath through the GDA. And recently added a baby albino BN pleco, but he's so tiny he's not gonna make much difference in the near term. Bought a bunch more plants, and am trying to dial in my lighting & ferts so the plants can better outcompete the algae on the walls. The balancing act continues....

How does your magfloat work for you?
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-14-2019, 08:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I found this at Home Depot and got one to try . It works great on algae and slime film on glass . Still gets hands wet , but it does a better job than mag scrapers . Easy to handle . I just take the blade out after use and dry it well and leave it out till next use . I use it every other week or so and use the mag scraper on the other weeks . The mag does get the slime off at least without much trouble . Also if you get one the blade comes installed backwards so turn it around before use . You can get blades for it , but I think it will be a while before I need one .

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-in...-HDX/206458315

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode