Bba (UPDATE) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaPrime View Post
There are many theories as to what causes BBA. For me it was inconsistencies in CO2. I had thick "carpets of this BBA and it attached itself everywhere.

My solution was DIY co2 and at a later date pressurized CO2. BBA in my experience can't stand a consistent and stable level of CO2. Once introduced it took several days for the bba to go from Black/brown, to red, to white and then die. The bigger "carpets" quickly turned pale and then quite literally, floated to the surface for removal by hand.
Do you think it would work without plants?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
After sleeping on it decided to just take out substrate and start over.
I was going to suggest that because the present substrate is too coarse and holds too much detritus. Also you need Ramshorn snails to keep surfaces clean so plants can breathe and algae has no place to grow.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Do you think it would work without plants?
I was going to suggest that because the present substrate is too coarse and holds too much detritus. Also you need Ramshorn snails to keep surfaces clean so plants can breathe and algae has no place to grow.
No snails in my future- the disgust level too high in that regard with this girl.

But, yeah, I think this is the right decision.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #18 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:03 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Spray the wood, plants, anything you want to keep with glut while out of the water. I really think that'll get you out of the woods. I wouldn't destroy perfectly good driftwood or rocks, personally. Good luck and keep us posted!
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #19 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Spray the wood, plants, anything you want to keep with glut while out of the water. I really think that'll get you out of the woods. I wouldn't destroy perfectly good driftwood or rocks, personally. Good luck and keep us posted!
Okay! Would soaking wood in glut, like for 1/2 hour be enough? Or, should I soak it in glut and then let the wood air dry to make sure all spores die before putting back into aquarium?

Amy
post #20 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:23 PM
snails are your friend

Oh goodness, not nearly that much or that long is called for! Spray it down, wait 5 minutes, maybe 15 if really worried -then rinse. I killed what looked like a 5 gallon bucket's worth in a 125 once upon a time and probably didn't use 8 ounces. A little bit goes a long way. If you're a few days off before breaking the tank down, maybe test a rock tonight and see to be sure. But I'd err on the side of caution and it is really powerful stuff at full strength. The BBA is going to die, I feel certain. Also, use a respirator and open doors and windows. Fumes are nasty.
Discusluv likes this.

post #21 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 08:33 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
No snails in my future- the disgust level too high in that regard with this girl.

But, yeah, I think this is the right decision.

What about an army of amano shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Discusluv likes this.

|
post #22 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 09:11 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
What about an army of amano shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yes!
varanidguy likes this.

Amy
post #23 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Took out all the wood in aquarium and sprayed well with the Excel.
Now is sitting out in sun. I will rinse off later tonight.
If that doesn't kill the darn stuff I dont know what will. It stunk like it would kill something- and I was outside and down-wind.
Blue Ridge Reef likes this.

Amy
post #24 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:46 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I wish you luck , but I think the BBA will come back . You have to get a tank balanced to stop it , and even then it may pop up at times . I know you are not a novice , but it seems you are when it comes to BBA . I have had better success with H2O2 than Excel with spot treating in tank . And peroxide is less harmful than Excel , just turns to water and oxygen after a while . I will say if anything will kill it for good what you have done should...

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #25 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 10:47 PM
snails are your friend

It's been 30 minutes, I'd wager my favorite shrimp that it's deader than fried chicken at this point. If you rinse a piece of wood and put it back in tonight, I'll be stunned if any is living in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
I wish you luck , but I think the BBA will come back . You have to get a tank balanced to stop it , and even then it may pop up at times . I know you are not a novice , but it seems you are when it comes to BBA . I have had better success with H2O2 than Excel with spot treating in tank . And peroxide is less harmful than Excel , just turns to water and oxygen after a while . I will say if anything will kill it for good what you have done should...
Didn't see your post when I responded. While I agree that BBA will come back if conditions are right and one cell of it survives this, an excel spray out of water does nuke the stuff. I couldn't *move* it to my tanks with injected CO2, but feel there has to be more to it than that. And when I've killed it off in tanks, I've had pretty good luck with it not recurring. Perhaps should count myself lucky, just relaying my own battles with it.
Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 08-17-2019 at 10:59 PM. Reason: new post
post #26 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Yeah, am a definite BBA novice. 'Tis true.
But, appears like you cant get a half dozen experts on it in a room together without coming up with at least a few different answers. Those experts leave all of us novice's with a "spinning head".

But, we still come back and ask them.

So, Im putting in a little bit of each that I hear here:

To much detritus in sand- Ill change it out.

Need more nutrients in water column. Ill try adding more.

Turn down photo-period a bit. Ill do that.

Clean as much as you can off plants, substrate, hardscape- check.

The only thing that is missing is balancing of Co2. Now, my very uneducated guess is that this is my biggest problem. But, not going to go there-- so, your right--- this may just be all for naught.
Blue Ridge Reef and Leeatl like this.

Amy
post #27 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Didn't see your post when I responded. While I agree that BBA will come back if conditions are right and one cell of it survives this, an excel spray out of water does nuke the stuff. I couldn't *move* it to my tanks with injected CO2, but feel there has to be more to it than that. And when I've killed it off in tanks, I've had pretty good luck with it not recurring. Perhaps should count myself lucky, just relaying my own battles with it.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate your comment , and I don't disagree that BBA will be more than dead on the wood she took outside and dosed with Excel and let dry in the sun , it is the BBA still in the tank on substrate , plants , whatever that will come back with a vengeance if the original cause is not addressed . If you have had such success battling BBA then please tell us how . I for one would like to know as I fight it off and on all the time .

Bump:
Quote:
Yeah, am a definite BBA novice. 'Tis true.
But, appears like you cant get a half dozen experts on it in a room together without coming up with at least a few different answers. Those experts leave all of us novice's with a "spinning head".

But, we still come back and ask them.

So, Im putting in a little bit of each that I hear here:

To much detritus in sand- Ill change it out.

Need more nutrients in water column. Ill try adding more.

Turn down photo-period a bit. Ill do that.

Clean as much as you can off plants, substrate, hardscape- check.

The only thing that is missing is balancing of Co2. Now, my very uneducated guess is that this is my biggest problem. But, not going to go there-- so, your right--- this may just be all for naught.
Well can you think of any reason you haven't had BBA before ? That would help you and the rest of us . You keep the hardest of all fish so I know you are an experienced keeper . BBA is the bane of keeping aquariums so anything we can find to help get rid of it is a plus to us all .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #28 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:36 PM
snails are your friend

Quote:
I appreciate your comment , and I don't disagree that BBA will be more than dead on the wood she took outside and dosed with Excel and let dry in the sun , it is the BBA still in the tank on substrate , plants , whatever that will come back with a vengeance if the original cause is not addressed . If you have had such success battling BBA then please tell us how . I for one would like to know as I fight it off and on all the time .
I have no definitive answer obviously, or these threads would be short! I can say that it simply would not even grow in my high tech tanks. You could move anything getting covered up with it in those and the BBA would die and they would "heal." I do suspect low CO2 is a factor. Even running passive as I do these days (just a vessel held on the tank that I fill up with CO2 from a tank when empty) it doesn't show up. I had it more in my African cichlid tanks than any other -especially a 125 with substrate and rocks high in CACO3. If pulled out of the water and sprayed direct with Excel, it dies. I had dramatically better luck with this than peroxide, which if you've read my posts on glut, you know I'd prefer to use. I imagine there are spores/cells of the stuff in water as well as small amounts we don't see that it grows back from when we get re-occurrences . Light, photoperiod, basic testable nutrients, water flow doesn't seem to impact it. It's either there or it isn't and it has the needed environment or doesn't. But when I've killed it all, I've had the same tank go for years without a recurrence.

Most of my tanks (knock on wood) are free of it at the moment. I have a little in one, but for reasons beyond my understanding for years now it's just had a few tufts on wood and old growth. Having talked like I know all about it is sure to make it take over any time now though!
Discusluv likes this.

post #29 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 11:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Amy, what's the condition of the wood and how long has it been in water? Is it firm, hard to the touch, or getting a little soft, somewhat pliable?
Discusluv likes this.

post #30 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 01:09 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@ BlueRidgeReef I understand completely . There are so many threads on so many forums about BBA and none have a definitive answer . There is one fact that I have mentioned before and that is when I had tanks years ago with no live plants , just plastic , I never had BBA . I never knew what BBA was until I started using live plants . I have no idea why but I wished I did...lol

Tags
bba

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode