LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #166 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
No more BBA
Yippee!
~Okay, for now- but, I am going to stay positive.
Very nice!

I trimmed out all the plant/leaves that were covered in BBA. I totally removed the completely covered Crypt Parva. I have it in a bucket trying to think about how i can salvage some of it and where I'd put it if I can. I have a few rocks I need to pull out and clean too. The plants all still looking ok a week in. Today I took out a java fern and another that looks similar, but has roots like a sword, put them in the (no CO2 - low light) tank upstairs. In their place I added a new bunch of Vallisneria Spiralis Leopard in the background and some Bacopa Australia in the foreground.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	45g.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	886271  

Discusluv likes this.

Last edited by evil8; 08-31-2019 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Adding photo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 175 (permalink) Old 10-21-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
After taking out the substrate, replacing a majority of the plants, and cleaning all surface areas with Excel, I had about 4 weeks of no BBA. It was perfect.
But, all good things come to an end because the problem I had ( and have) is still there.

First, it grew on intake and outtakes of filter and air stone. I didnt panic. I remembered ( I think it was from the wise Mr. @Ken Keating) that I could contain it by a routine maintenance of Excel in a spray bottle. I did this once around a month ago and it didnt return on these surfaces. But...

It grew- all at once- up the corners of the silicone--- and quick! I did the same. Sprayed with excel and was gone in days. Didnt come back on these areas.

A couple days ago noticed it growing on tips of a java moss leaf- took leaf off and tossed.

So, this is the new plan. i doubt it will ever go away in my tank because of the particular fire-storm this tank and inhabitants have to offer.
But, going forward, I have a slow and steady plan of attack to keep it under control. Thanks to all that were helpful.
Greggz and evil8 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
post #168 of 175 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 06:34 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have a slow and steady plan of attack to keep it under control.
Yeah, I totally get this. I never really got it completely all out of the tank yet, but where I've cleaned it off it's only ever come back in the silicone corners. I think it's just going to be a constant battle for the foreseeable future.
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3 planted nano community fish tanks.

post #169 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Spray the wood, plants, anything you want to keep with glut while out of the water. I really think that'll get you out of the woods. I wouldn't destroy perfectly good driftwood or rocks, personally. Good luck and keep us posted!
Sorry I'm new here, I have a little BBA, & want to deal with it, but what is glut?

Last edited by Crisis64; 04-16-2020 at 07:54 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
post #170 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 07:44 PM

Hello All, excellent BBA discussion here, but I was wondering if anyone ever tried a Turf Algae Scrubber, I used to use them on saltwater tanks I had, & they work wonders on controlling nuisance algae.
I'm going to try this on my planted tank to see what happens, just need the time to build it.
post #171 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:00 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I have used a turf scrubber on marine and also loved it. But the downside I see to using one in a planted tank is that the algae you are growing and harvesting would take up the fertilizers we are trying to add. @Crisis64, glut is glutaraldehyde, the active ingredient in Excel, CO2 Booster and so forth.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #172 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
I have used a turf scrubber on marine and also loved it. But the downside I see to using one in a planted tank is that the algae you are growing and harvesting would take up the fertilizers we are trying to add. @Crisis64, glut is glutaraldehyde, the active ingredient in Excel, CO2 Booster and so forth.
Good Point @Blue Ridge Reef, so maybe not a good option then, I also remember reading somewhere,(not sure where) but is glutaraldehyde a good alternative to flourish excel(too expensive)
post #173 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-16-2020, 10:21 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'm not an advocate of using Met5 or any of the alternatives if not experienced with safe chemical handling. I certainly don't consider myself as such, and Excel is pretty cheap for how little you use. I thought this article was a tad alarmist when it came out, but I don't discount one bit of her thoughts on using "real" glut: https://www.sunkengardens.net/blog/2...glutaraldehyde
Discusluv and PlantStudent like this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #174 of 175 (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 08:45 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:

I'll pay for extra ferts and CO2 if it helps keep BBA out of my tank. Besides, I'm feeding the algae now, just doing in the tank instead of on a scrubber.
post #175 of 175 (permalink) Old 07-15-2020, 05:31 PM

Hello you can get it with me at a good rate

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Tags
bba

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode