130Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #151 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo33 View Post
@Discusluv
Does this tank need the two water changes per week Amy?
Are you running extremely high nitrates after a week?
No, not showing high nitrates. Frequent water changes are because it is a discus tank. Need to turn over 100% of water weekly for discus. Really, this is most likely why I got BBA in the first place. Its just hard to achieve balance between plants and fish when this much water gets changed out each week. I know this balance has been achieved by some discus keepers; but, Im pretty new to plants and haven't yet achieved the skill needed to do so.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Amy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
No, not showing high nitrates. Frequent water changes are because it is a discus tank. Need to turn over 100% of water weekly for discus. Really, this is most likely why I got BBA in the first place. Its just hard to achieve balance between plants and fish when this much water gets changed out each week. I know this balance has been achieved by some discus keepers; but, Im pretty new to plants and haven't yet achieved the skill needed to do so.

Oh my goodness, of course.
I did not even see the Discus in those photos!
Well this makes more sense, sorry wasn't thinking!
Discusluv likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
post #153 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Oh my goodness, of course.
I did not even see the Discus in those photos!
Well this makes more sense, sorry wasn't thinking!
Only two discus in here right now. But, all the tetras and other fish in here (besides the discus) will be moving soon because getting a small group of some F1 discus ( parents wild) juveniles to grow out.

Here is a picture of the 2 discus that are in here right now ( just hiding).

Greggz and Desert Pupfish like this.

Amy

post #154 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Gorgeous.
One day, when space and money become less of an issue than they currently are...I shall be contacting you for some advice and some potential offspring if you are planning to do so!
In other, more relevant to the thread news, it appears my excel plants spray down cause some of my buce and anubias leaves to rot and drop off...whilst the BBA help strong and never wavered. I truly hate this algae.
Might set up a tank in the future and attempt to farm it, really get a strong amount of BBA in a tank and then trial methods of eradication to prove what will actually help us in the battle.
Greggz, Leeatl and Discusluv like this.

|
|
post #155 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Gorgeous.
One day, when space and money become less of an issue than they currently are...I shall be contacting you for some advice and some potential offspring if you are planning to do so!
In other, more relevant to the thread news, it appears my excel plants spray down cause some of my buce and anubias leaves to rot and drop off...whilst the BBA help strong and never wavered. I truly hate this algae.
Might set up a tank in the future and attempt to farm it, really get a strong amount of BBA in a tank and then trial methods of eradication to prove what will actually help us in the battle.
Breeding of discus is definitely in my future plans. I have moved away, however, from the brightly colored hybrids so popular with most and am now more interested in the more subtle colors of wilds. Both of these discus in picture are F1's, and the group of juveniles I plan to get are as well.

If in the future I get a successful spawn, fry-- Ill send some your way for the cost of shipping. Certainly.

BBA is so frustrating. I have had it in this tank for around 2 years. Hopefully it wont come back after all this work.

Amy
post #156 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-27-2019, 07:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Quote:
Gorgeous.
Breeding of discus is definitely in my future plans. I have moved away, however, from the brightly colored hybrids so popular with most and am now more interested in the more subtle colors of wilds. Both of these discus in picture are F1's, and the group of juveniles I plan to get are as well.

If in the future I get a successful spawn, fry-- Ill send some your way for the cost of shipping. Certainly. <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="Smile" >:-)</a>

BBA is so frustrating. I have had it in this tank for around 2 years. Hopefully it wont come back after all this work.
I think there is a beauty in the natural colors a lot of our fish presented in the wild. It is only through our desires to get more extreme and more palatable (to some) colorations that we end up with these extreme typations. Personal choice, let them be, don't selectively breed for mutations and embrace nature as it should be (bar the existence of them in a small volume of water).

You're too kind! Can you document your attempts when/if you begin? As a once avid hobbyist pleco breeder, I love the steps and measures we take to get our fish to a point where they are happy enough to breed. Then all the follow steps to successfully raise the fry. I think I've said it before, but I once had 7 tanks specifically aimed at the raising of different generations of fry. A lot of water changes!

As for the BBA. You're doing everything you can, if nothing else perhaps constant removal is an annoying yet achievable approach? Each water change pluck a bit or cut an affected leaf? Could work.
varanidguy and Discusluv like this.

|
|
post #157 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 02:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You can kill all the algae on the wood np, especially if you take it out there's no reason to hold back on concentration of h2o2/excel, but if you put it back in another tank with similar conditions it will likely grow algae anew.

Dur I totally had this window open for weeks and replied to a really old post but I'll just leave this here anyhow...
Discusluv likes this.
post #158 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Gorgeous.
Excel spray is not very precise. You want to put Excel directly on the algae and not on the plant, a fine paint brush is much better for this and even then you can still get some plant melt. You don't want a long contact time on a plant(seconds not minutes) out of water especially with concentrated Excel.

It is safer to use an enclosed area(e.g. 500ml container upside down) inside your tank, greater concentration than the whole tank but still diluted Excel syringed in, instead of direct contact with plants which is then circulated around for a few minutes. @Deanna described and uses this method.

I just prune off leaves/stems with BBA, the parts of the plant that allow it to grow on them are not healthy(most not worth saving) to begin with.

It is really frustrating to get any sort of algae on Anubias or Bucephalandra as they grow so slowly, it hurts have to trim leaves that take months to grow but its still best for the plant. Even hair algae which is easily killed by general tank Excel is still difficult to remove even when dead. It takes weeks not days to completely remove dead Algae even with Otos, Shrimp, snails etc.

I got BBA in my old scape on some plants and on wood mostly. Painting the wood was highly effective, however a little spilled onto the neighbouring plants and melted them or created white spots.
Deanna likes this.

post #159 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 04:02 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
Either method gets glut on the surface you want it, for myself much is determined by whether you have a bushel of BBA infected wood and plants or a small amount that is easy to get to. As a former house painter I'd use a brush for trim and cutting in walls and a sprayer for wide areas, I kind of consider the same applies here. I've pulled smaller Anubias and just dipped them in a cup of the stuff. The biggest difference between this and paint is that you can't really see a clear liquid on a wet plant -no matter the means of application. You don't want to miss any, but you don't want to overdo it either. I think we can all agree that rinsing and contact time are more important than what method was used to get the liquid on the infected area.
Discusluv likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #160 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 07:53 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have used both H2O2 and Excel/glut to kill BBA , but have found H2O2 to be more effective and much cheaper . I just turn off the filters , use syringe to spot treat , wait 10-15 mins then restart filters . Next day algae in treated areas is either dead or red on the way to dead and fish and plants are never harmed . I have also taken wood or rocks with affected areas or plants ,out and syringed H2O2 onto affected spots . Wait a few mins and return to tank . Same results .Just a couple ways I picked up on here probably....lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #161 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 01:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
It is safer to use an enclosed area(e.g. 500ml container upside down) inside your tank, greater concentration than the whole tank but still diluted Excel syringed in, instead of direct contact with plants which is then circulated around for a few minutes. @Deanna described and uses this method.
Actually, I use H2O2 in this isolation chamber since H2O2 kills more types of algae and fauna are protected, being outside of the chamber. However, I do occasionally use ~2ml/gal of Excel in a whole-tank treatment of red algae procedure.
post #162 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
Actually, I use H2O2 in this isolation chamber since H2O2 kills more types of algae and fauna are protected, being outside of the chamber. However, I do occasionally use ~2ml/gal of Excel in a whole-tank treatment of red algae procedure.
Oops my bad H2O2 in the vortex only but it can be done with Excel as well or both.
I use your whole tank Excel treatment at 1.5ml/gal and it has worked very well the two times I have used it.
Deanna likes this.

post #163 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 02:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Oops my bad H2O2 in the vortex only but it can be done with Excel as well or both.

I use your whole tank Excel treatment at 1.5ml/gal and it has worked very well the two times I have used it.

Yeah, don’t think I would take the chance to use either method with my Discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Amy
post #164 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Yeah, don’t think I would take the chance to use either method with my Discus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes neither would I, with sensitive fish, much better to take all the plants and hardscape out of the tank and treat then in plastic tub instead.
Discusluv likes this.

post #165 of 175 (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

discus juveniles didn't pan out- he had oversold. disappointing.

Amy

Tags
bba

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode