3Likes
  • 1 Post By DaveKS
  • 2 Post By Asteroid

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae from the start

2 months into the hobby and algae has me ready to give up. Lights are only on for 5 hrs a day and off all day one day a week. I still change 50% the water twice a week. Also cut back to only dosing ferts once a week. My best guess is my light is too bright and the passive CO2 diffuser isn't enough. Would love any advice as I don't want to give up just because a rough first start.

If you want to see other specs of tank check out my journal:
https://www.plantedtank.net/#/topics/1290335
Only thing that has changed is I gave up on canister filter after the intake leaked overnight.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9D395510-1B3C-4812-8699-09690950D079_1562838390855.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	883973  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your link isn't working. Did you do a DSM to start. What is your degassed PH and PH at mid-day that would help determine if you had good co2 levels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yes used DSM method to grow monte carlo and attach moss. Looks like PH is right around 7 and barley goes down with CO2. I only have basic water test kit so tough to see difference.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Dosing rate, frequency and with what?

Is that a current pic? Doesnít look that bad to me in fact about normal for a newish med tech tank. Going to once week dosing probably worst thing you could do.
Greggz likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Using easy green from aquarium co-op because it's local and easy as well as flourish iron.

Cutting back to only one dosing was probably an over reaction because after 2 months I've had algae the whole time.

Friend thought since I have no fish or fish food it hasn't fully cycled. Is this possible?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnelson50 View Post
Using easy green from aquarium co-op because it's local and easy as well as flourish iron.

Cutting back to only one dosing was probably an over reaction because after 2 months I've had algae the whole time.

Friend thought since I have no fish or fish food it hasn't fully cycled. Is this possible?
Point was donít cut frequency of dosing, cut the amount you dose each time so dose is leaner but a consistent level throughout week. Figure half strength weekly dose for your tank and divide by 3 and dose that amount every other day. Skip dose on water change day.

Quit treating your tank like a the high tech tanks you see people running around here, thatís not your tank. You probably only need one 30-50% water change a week.

With your passive CO2 bell system you never should have been dosing full strength to begin with.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:51 AM
Algae Grower

Test your water, that will help.
Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, phosphate, and iron.
If you are missing something, and have way too much of something else that will cause problems.

The plant growth will slow down, and algae will grow faster.
I have auto dosing set up.

I test parameters before a water change to see how things are going.
If something shows up too high or too low, adjust the dosing. Once you have it figured out, how much of whatever to add whenever. That really doesn't change that fast. It took about a month of plant growth to require a modification to the dosing schedule.
But I don't have CO2

I dose the tank according to the amount of water change water that I am adding as it is at 0ppm as far as fertilizer goes.

I bring the new water right in the middle of whare phosphate, potassium, nitrate, and iron should be.

One water change a week is good, unless you have a overstocked problem, that you don't.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnelson50 View Post
Yes used DSM method to grow monte carlo and attach moss. Looks like PH is right around 7 and barley goes down with CO2. I only have basic water test kit so tough to see difference.
Reason I asked about the co2 was because going from high co2 in the DSM to now what seems like very low co2 is a problem. Once submersed the plants need to adjust and now without good co2 it's even harder. Some of the carpet has died causing water issues from decaying plants and you have good light on the system.

I would continued to do big water changes, continue dosing, get rid of the fluval passive diffuser and get a regular ceramic in-tank one. You have a hi-tech tank you need to supply it with everything.
Greggz and Quesenek like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 02:09 PM
Algae Grower

I agree with Asteroid, increase the c02 and make sure you have enough flow inside the tank to distribute the c02 effectively.

Cheers!...Peter
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:41 PM
Algae Grower

Is that a celebrity cartoon character hanging out in your tank?!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mboley View Post
Is that a celebrity cartoon character hanging out in your tank?!
I actually count 3. Looking for the fourth.

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all of the advice! I will keep at it with some small changes and see how it goes.

Yes I do have a few cartoons in there. Friends thought it would be funny to drop them in the tank and I ran with it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode