Bba caused by low co2? - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bba caused by low co2?

Hi. So I've noticed that my plants have substantially slowed in growth. Some are turning brown and yellow. I've also noticed some bba growing on my wood and plants. I thought maybe it's because of low co2 caused by high plant density and 9 hours of light a day. To fix this problem, should I lower the light hours. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HiChiu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 12:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Lower light
Increase cleanliness of tank and filter
Ensure CO2 is abundantly high

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
Lower light
Increase cleanliness of tank and filter
Ensure CO2 is abundantly high
Thanks for the advice. I lowered my light hours from 9 to 7 hours a day. Is there a specific way I can increase the amount of CO2 in my tank without injection?

HiChiu

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 07:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Chiu View Post
Thanks for the advice. I lowered my light hours from 9 to 7 hours a day. Is there a specific way I can increase the amount of CO2 in my tank without injection?
No...

You can try dosing Excel / Metricide / Glut... Not CO2 but it is an algaecide

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-28-2019, 06:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagulator View Post
No...

You can try dosing Excel / Metricide / Glut... Not CO2 but it is an algaecide
I have tried excel, but it hasn't been very effective. I'll just stick with the 7 hours of light a day and maybe my plants will start to bounce back.

HiChiu
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:46 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
What kind of plants do you have? And are you running co2 at all?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Tran View Post
What kind of plants do you have? And are you running co2 at all?
I have water wisteria, java fern, jungle val, amazon swords, crypt lucens. No CO2

HiChiu
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:17 PM
Algae Grower

Good major cleaning...removal of any excess organic waste can help. Decaying driftwood can exacerbate it too, not sure if that's an issue. I recall having a horrible issue with this a number of years ago, ended up throwing out my driftwood.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarissaT View Post
Decaying driftwood can exacerbate it too, not sure if that's an issue. I recall having a horrible issue with this a number of years ago, ended up throwing out my driftwood.
Interesting--- Ive never heard of the connection with between BBA/ driftwood before.

If that is the case, that could be why I have such problem with BBA in my discus tank. The tank is spotlessly clean- 2 x 75% water changes weekly and vacuumed with python, filters regularly maintenanced- high organics is not the problem.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Chiu View Post
I have water wisteria, java fern, jungle val, amazon swords, crypt lucens. No CO2
Avoid Excel in tanks with val. If the plant demand is that high, even an airstone might raise CO2 level a little. Nowhere in the neighborhood of pressurized though. Passive is an option I've done for a long time, but it's something you have to do every day and hard to get over about 15-20 PPM.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 07-05-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: a word
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Avoid Excel in tanks with val. If the plant demand is that high, even an airstone might raise CO2 level a little. Nowhere in the neighborhood of pressurized though. Passive is an option I've done for a long time, but it's something you have to do every day and hard to get over about 15-20 PPM.
I can try the airstone, but the flow seems to be a bit too much for my tank, do you recommend me use it still?

Bump:
Quote:
So today, I noticed most of the bba has died off. I took it out a week ago and sprayed it with excel and it seems to have done the trick. However, a brown hair algae has started to grow on my plants, and may be choking them out. Im not really sure where this came from.

HiChiu
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 02:59 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

An airstone is only going to make a tiny bit of difference, but if your CO2 is at 0, would be of a theoretical benefit. Kind of like how plants will pearl after a water change from being exposed to air -there is CO2 in atmospheric air, just not a lot of it. A weaker air pump or a gang valve to bleed excess pressure off would slow the flow rate if you needed. But again, this isn't likely to make a noticeable difference.

Yeah, often happens that when you eradicate one algae, another comes along. If nutrients are there nature will find a way.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:13 PM
Algae Grower

I wonder if maybe the light intensity is more than the plants can use considering the low co2. From my understanding light drives growth and with low co2 the plants are limited in growth that way, so the excess light will drive something else to grow in their place.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is correct. Though if nutrients are abundant enough, *something* will utilize them even in lower lights.

Last edited by Blue Ridge Reef; 07-07-2019 at 12:43 AM. Reason: getting rid of the stupid bump
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Avoid Excel in tanks with val.
I've heard the same thing about Excel & val, but have also read many posts on here from people who dose it regularly & say their val has acclimated well to it. I've been using it (API "Liquid CO2"--assuming it's the same thing) regularly to combat a green water outbreak after set up. My vals have really taken off to about 3/4 the height of my 24"H tank, and are putting out runners. So I wouldn't dump a lot in at once, but vals can acclimate and do well with glut.

I guess the real question is whether BBA would end up acclimating as well.....
Blue Ridge Reef and Leeatl like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode