Bba caused by low co2? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
For the future, the only way to generate more co2 in a tank without using pressurized is to use a dirt substrate. It can produce 8 to 12 ppm which will definitely aid in plant growth and also allow you to grow some plants that wouldn't grow without any added co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (52/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Interesting--- Ive never heard of the connection with between BBA/ driftwood before.

If that is the case, that could be why I have such problem with BBA in my discus tank. The tank is spotlessly clean- 2 x 75% water changes weekly and vacuumed with python, filters regularly maintenanced- high organics is not the problem.
Decaying driftwood is a source of organics that BBA likes to attach itself to.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 12:51 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Pupfish View Post
I've heard the same thing about Excel & val, but have also read many posts on here from people who dose it regularly & say their val has acclimated well to it. I've been using it (API "Liquid CO2"--assuming it's the same thing) regularly to combat a green water outbreak after set up. My vals have really taken off to about 3/4 the height of my 24"H tank, and are putting out runners. So I wouldn't dump a lot in at once, but vals can acclimate and do well with glut.

I guess the real question is whether BBA would end up acclimating as well.....
I respect you as a poster who doesn't repeat stuff he's read as experience like so many; and I'll agree to disagree here. I'm certain various val can take an amount of glut, and possibly even benefit from it before reaching the point of no return. Just when you have a tank of plants you've been caring for turn white and die forever when you didn't mean for that to happen, it really makes you view that Excel bottle a little differently.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
For the future, the only way to generate more co2 in a tank without using pressurized is to use a dirt substrate. It can produce 8 to 12 ppm which will definitely aid in plant growth and also allow you to grow some plants that wouldn't grow without any added co2.
Man, I would love, love love a recipe for this. Having had many dirtied tanks and trying more than a few methods of depth, substrate choices, even using a heater coil; I am at a point I will not ever do it again. With a drop checker, I have yet to see a 10+ reading without at least passive, tho I would get as high as 8 PPM on a sump. Not arguing, just SO turned off from dirt at the point I'm at.
Desert Pupfish likes this.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I respect you as a poster who doesn't repeat stuff he's read as experience like so many; and I'll agree to disagree here. I'm certain various val can take an amount of glut, and possibly even benefit from it before reaching the point of no return. Just when you have a tank of plants you've been caring for turn white and die forever when you didn't mean for that to happen, it really makes you view that Excel bottle a little differently.

Bump:

Man, I would love, love love a recipe for this. Having had many dirtied tanks and trying more than a few methods of depth, substrate choices, even using a heater coil; I am at a point I will not ever do it again. With a drop checker, I have yet to see a 10+ reading without at least passive, tho I would get as high as 8 PPM on a sump. Not arguing, just SO turned off from dirt at the point I'm at.
Yeah, no exact formula I've seen it get that high with my own eyes. Full disclosure, I"m not a fan of soil either, since I like to move things around and I always use pressurized. Just addressing OP question about raising co2 levels without injection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:38 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Be careful if you are thinking of using Hydrogen Peroxide, I used a bit, I have a 55G, and it nearly wiped all my vals. I have some left, but they're recovering.

20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I would not worry about CO2 or liquid carbon sources as none of the plants you listed require it. I would evaluate your lighting and how intense it is. And in tandem with that light I would evaluate how much nitrogen you have in your water via nitrate. Your plant leaves turning yellow to Brown or vice versa would be my first indicator of something that you need to take care of. A question to ask yourself is did you just put these plants in your aquarium in the past couple of weeks? If that is the case plants often go through a transition period where they absorb the nutrients in the leaves and use those nutrients to produce new leaves which is why some plants will turn yellow and disintegrate when added to a new environment and produce new leaves. If that is not the case and the plants have been in there a while then your lighting is likely pushing the plants to want more nutrients and you may not be providing enough to them which is causing your plant issues and algae issues.

Check your nitrates and aim for about 10-20 ppm. In low tech setups often times water changes and feeding your fish will provide enough micro nutrients and phosphates but nitrates may still be needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 05:30 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
Yep, I'm amazed at the range of experiences people have had with Excel--some say it's killed their plants & fish, and others like @Deanna swear by it for low tech tanks. @Jaye has an incredible high tech 125G that she doses 70ml/day. Naturally people can become very impassioned about their own experiences, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's gonna be true across the board for everyone. If I'm learning one thing on here, it's that it can be all over the map, and you just have to take others' experiences and make your own decisions about what you think might work for you in your situation. And to keep reminding myself that more isn't always better, and to go low & slow...

Thanks again.
Blue Ridge Reef and Deanna like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode