Bba? - The Planted Tank Forum
 63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bba?

all of a sudden this showed up in my 75 gallon. looks like little green specks, about the size of a qtip tip. should i remove it or is it a good moss/algae by chance?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190622_201140_1561250448648.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	883169  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Ugh! That looks like what I understand to be BBA! Its a pain and I commiserate with you.

I fight it periodically as well. In my case, I believe it is due to an imbalance between Co2, nutrients, and light. I dont have Co2, so I consistently have to adjust lighting and nutrient levels to find that "sweet spot" of equilibrium given the low-tech environment. I do dose Excel, but I think it helps more to deal with algae ( the effect) than works as a substitute for lack of co2 ( the cause).

But, these are all the "opinions" of a beginner. Im sure someone will swoop in and correct the errors in my assumptions- LOL!

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 01:10 AM
Algae Grower

That does look like BBA. If it is just on that rock, you could pull it out and put some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) or Excel on it. Can also use Excel to "spot treat" the affected areas in your tank.

Cause is probably too little CO2 (if you are injecting CO2...) or too high of dissolved organics (plant detritus, fish poop, food, etc). Give the tank and filters a good cleaning. Algae hates clean tanks.

For what it's worth, it's a pretty common algae. Welcome to the club!

post #4 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 04:27 AM
Algae Grower

You better nuke that rock before it breeds! xD
post #5 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

ok. i pulled the rock, seems to be the easiest solution.
i have no idea where it came from as i haven't added anything in a log time and i keep the tank pretty clean.

can this stuff lay dormant for a length of time and then regenerate?

and is it true that amano will eat this? because i have another tank with several amano whom i guess would appreciate a new snack.
post #6 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 07:51 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtndweller View Post
ok. i pulled the rock, seems to be the easiest solution.
i have no idea where it came from as i haven't added anything in a log time and i keep the tank pretty clean.

can this stuff lay dormant for a length of time and then regenerate?

and is it true that amano will eat this? because i have another tank with several amano whom i guess would appreciate a new snack.
That's my understanding on both questions, yes.
post #7 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I am a BBA fighting veteran and what I find interesting is how there is so much on that one rock and none on the surrounding ones . OP , is that how it is or did you just take a pic of that one bad rock ? If it is just that one rock , why ? Color of rock , location in tank , etc ? I have noticed in my tanks that the darker an ornament , sponge ,whatever , the more BBA will grow on it as opposed to lighter colored things .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #8 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
...I have noticed in my tanks that the darker an ornament , sponge ,whatever , the more BBA will grow on it as opposed to lighter colored things .
That would be a surprising find. I've seen BBA grow right on a white ceramic diffuser and of course on glass which is clear. What kind of objects do you have in your tank that are dark and which are light?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:14 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
In one tank I had a wrecked car that is black and dark greys . I just recently took it out and peroxided it and left it out because it was covered in BBA . It grows on my black prefilter sponges . In my other tank I have a ceramic pipe . Looks like a terracotta one . It is light beige except the female end which is a dark red . BBA grows on the red part but not the beige . It does not grow on HOB intake stems nor heaters , or tank glass . Does grow on my dark driftwood too . Both tanks have BDBS substrate and I have never seen it growing on it , so that is the exception to my theory . I had a small house in one tank that is dark grey and it grew well on it too . Oh , I have Inkbird temp controller probes in both tanks . I have them sealed in black drinking straws and you guessed it , they get a lot on them too . I don't know , maybe I am grasping at straws , no pun intended...lol and need more input from OP , but just curious if it grew on just that one rock of his . BBA seems to be an elusive foe so every bit of info we can gather helps .
Edward likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #10 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post
That does look like BBA. If it is just on that rock, you could pull it out and put some H2O2 (hydrogen peroxide) or Excel on it. Can also use Excel to "spot treat" the affected areas in your tank.

Cause is probably too little CO2 (if you are injecting CO2...) or too high of dissolved organics (plant detritus, fish poop, food, etc). Give the tank and filters a good cleaning. Algae hates clean tanks.

I have it rampant in my 60 gallon tank right now as we speak! I thought I heard that Chemi-clean was recommended as well? Or was that a different algae?

Edit: This tank is a discus tank that gets 2 x75% water changes weekly and has immaculate cleaning of substrate and filter- I figure must be the "too little Co2" in my case.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
post #11 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:44 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoulter View Post

I have it rampant in my 60 gallon tank right now as we speak! <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_sad.png" border="0" alt="" title="Frown" >:-)</a>I thought I heard that Chemi-clean was recommended as well? Or was that a different algae?

Edit: This tank is a discus tank that gets 2 x75% water changes weekly and has immaculate cleaning of substrate and filter- I figure must be the "too little Co2" in my case.
I'm not familiar with chemi-clean, sorry &#x1f615;

My understanding is BBA like a range of 5-15ppm co2. I don't know if that info is up to date or not, though.
post #12 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have it rampant in my 60 gallon tank right now as we speak! I thought I heard that Chemi-clean was recommended as well? Or was that a different algae?

Too frequent water changes, plant nutrient imbalance, unhealthy plant mass, detritus and periphyton is where BBA loves to grow. It does not care about flow, light intensity or duration, plant nutrients nor CO2 levels.

BTW, if you donít have Excel or peroxide, dipping infected items in vinegar for few minutes will kill BBA. Dipping plants for 5 seconds will get them clean too. Flush with tons of tap water before returning them back.
Discusluv likes this.

Perpetual Preservation System
The most accurate Aquatic plant fertilizers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&

post #13 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
Too frequent water changes, plant nutrient imbalance, unhealthy plant mass, detritus and periphyton is where BBA loves to grow. It does not care about flow, light intensity or duration, plant nutrients nor CO2 levels.

BTW, if you donít have Excel or peroxide, dipping infected items in vinegar for few minutes will kill BBA. Dipping plants for 5 seconds will get them clean too. Flush with tons of tap water before returning them back.
Thanks @Edward. I do have Excel and peroxide; so, ill do what you recommend.

The too frequent water changes I cant do anything about- its necessary for the fish-stock. So imagine it will be a problem I will continue to struggle with.

post #14 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:07 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Could you expand on this a bit? It's the first time I've heard of some of those specific reasons. To give some perspective, I've definitely come from the Tom Barr/barrreport school of thought on everything.

"Too frequent water changes" definitely seems counter intuitive
Greggz and Leeatl like this.
post #15 of 47 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Too frequent water changes, plant nutrient imbalance, unhealthy plant mass, detritus and periphyton is where BBA loves to grow. It does not care about flow, light intensity or duration, plant nutrients nor CO2 levels....
So does it care about plant nutrients or not

BBA is not tied directly to plant nutrient imbalance or unhealthy plant mass. It grows in fish only tanks as well. Just take a look at your LFS. The common denominator that a fish only tank and a planted tank has is organic waste. To much of this for the system and BBA will eventually grow. Duration and light intensity will make it grow quicker just like most plants. Co2 will help only if the plant mass is there for plants to increase uptake in the system to remove waste from the decomposing organics.

BBA is one of the most common algaes to get, but its also one of the most straight forward ones to remove.
Greggz and Leeatl like this.

Tags
bba

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode