Help with algae in tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with algae in tank

Hello,

I am new to the forum and was hoping to find some advice. I have done some research but am still struggling with lots of green hair algae. Any advice on how to control this would be appreciated!

Tank: Fluval Spec V
Lighting: Finnex Planted Plus. Lighting period adjusted to 7:45 am - 10:45 am a break and then 4:30pm - 7:30pm. I raise the light three inches a few weeks ago.
Dosing .5ml of Flourish Excel daily with .5ml of Flourish weekly.
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Phosphate 0ppm
Water changes 30% once a week

Plants: Anubis Nana Petite
Christmas Moss
Assorted Buce
Rotala Indica
Crypt Beckettii

Three endlers
One amano shrimp

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 03:27 AM
Algae Grower

Try this page: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/...gae-types.html. He is quite knowledgeable and a well respected source for planted tanks. You might also find some other interesting info if you look around. Good luck.

Bump: Try this page: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/control-algae-types.html. He is quite knowledgeable and a well respected source for planted tanks. You might also find some other interesting info if you look around. Good luck.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 04:38 AM
Algae Grower

I look at lighting first for algae. With those lights, can you do a ramp up and ramp down, and control the color mix and peak levels?

I use three lights for three short cycles (one light per cycle, moving across the tank), and I found that I could do mellow ramp ups and ramp downs, but I could only get away with one hour max for each light, and my max was 50%, with just 10% blue. I also raised my light, so that the contrast between surface light and bottom light was not as extreme.

I really liked the look of the low lights, and I could good color at maybe 20-25% power (probably 03% blue at that point), but growth was more targeted, and as plants came closer to the surface, they suffered more algae issues. I had to tell myself that I would have to deal with having the lighting in my line of sight for a healthier ecosystem. Now my lights are probably about six inches above the water level. I just embrace the room shadows and backlighting to get full coverage.

Since I got an Apex, I have been watching my pH and Temp change throughout the day. I don't have any conclusions yet, because I am not actually practicing science. I think all I can say is that night cycle seems to drop the pH the most, light raises it, and each siesta has a smaller drop in pH. The sunrise-light side of the tank seems to be showing more growth.

I sometimes see an inverse correlation between pH and Temp, but not always. This is with no heater.

Cheers

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:01 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If phosphate really zero you need to get Seachem phosphate and dose to get up to 1ppm +- and keep it around that.

Also you’d be better off doing daily dose of flourish in a low tech tank. When you do once a week dose plants get probably a bigger dose than they need on dose day but then 3 days later whole tank runs out and plant growth stalls then algae gets upper hand. Just take your .5ml mix it in with 700ml water and dose 100ml day.

Keep your levels of all nutrients plants need including phosphate as constant and stable day by day as possible. Not the feast or famine dosing your doing currently.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 06:36 AM
Planted Member

Just another note.....ive found gha to love my water unfiltered due to the amount of iron in it
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for all of the great advice and tips! My light unfortunately isn't dimmable so I raised three inches and shortened the photoperiod hoping that would help. I may try dosing Flourish split up throughout the week. Maybe .1ml a day or .2ml, .2ml, and then .1ml. I usually try and do a water change every five days. Thoughts?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode