Green fuzz algae - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Green fuzz algae

Hey community,

My tank is ~1year old and recent few months I've been struggling to fight the fuzz algae. Weekly 70-80% water changes, added canister filter - nothing is helping.
Monte-carlo grows well and generally looks good. Baby tears grow for some time, then get white and then brown and die.
Alternanthera reineckii grows really well, but get all covered with algae, which I guess is a sign it's not feeling great.
Currently, I change 1 gallon a week.

tank - 5gallon
light - MICMOL planted running at 70% for 8 hours a day + 2 hours ramp up and ramp down.
substrate - 1 yo Amazonia.

Here are the parameters:
temp - 76-77
ammonia - undetectable,
nitrites - undetectable,
nitrates - also undetectable which is weird
ph @11am - <6 (it's off the API scale, orange-ish, I guess it's 5 or so), another sign of its acidity is that the snail shells get dissolved over time.
KH - 2-3
GH - 2-3

I dose flourish 1ml a week and LeafZone 2ml a week.

Photo attached:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_111245.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	882831

Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
12 hours of total light including ramping? If so, I would reduce this to maybe 6-8 hours of total light. It seems from reading the post that you need to get a better handle on your parameters. Possibly get a ph pen ($10~). What type of Flourish are you using? You should always have a readable amount of nitrate between 10-20 ppm (less is fine if intentionally limiting nitrate for better color or something). If you like the all in one type of liquid dosing try easy green. If you are down to measure and mix your own dry fertilizers into solutions (most do) that would be best. You say you change 70-80% of your water each week but then later say 1 gallon change; this matters depending on your dosing of nutrients and organic waste in the tank. Husbandry is big in managing algae and based on the amount of algae I would say this needs to improve in duration or method or both. Read the stickies on lighting and nutrients/dosing. Best of luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 AM
Planted Member

If your KH is really 2-3 then your pH can't be so low. Either your pH or KH measurements are wrong.

It is not strange that your nitrate is zero - Flourish and LeafZone don't contain nitrogen and judging by the photo your bioload is low and light level is high. If not for Amazonia all these plants would have been already dying and covered in BGA but apparently soil still has nutrients.

IMHO to solve your algae problems you'll need to reduce light intensity and, may be, duration as well (so that total duration is not more than 8-10 hours). And start thinking about fertilizing or you'll get into problems as soil will become depleted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for your responses.
I got a bottle of Easy Green for Nano and also ordered a PH pen.
Regarding the PH test results, I guess I used the high range PH solution, that's why it was orange My current PH measurement is ~6.4.

Let's see if Easy Green solves the issue.
And of course, I cut the lighting period to 8 hours.

Last edited by andrey; 06-17-2019 at 05:45 AM. Reason: 1123
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

Dose tank for water volume, not tank size. The tank is 5 gallons, you're lucky if you have 3 gallons of water in there due to substrate levels, hardscape and tank gear.

Simply reducing the photo period will not fix this problem. You need to get the excess organics out of the water column. This happens by doing water changes on a regular basis which will also allow you to clean things up. Clean glass, use toothbrush to remove algae, ect..
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

I believe the main contributor to organics in water column is decomposing plants tissue or Amazonia soil. I feed the fishes once a day very moderately.

Another question about Easy Green. Which parameter value can I use as a guideline for dosing? Is there a rule like "dose until nitrates are 10ppm" or "until phosphates are 1ppm"?
The rule "1 pump per gallon" doesn't make much sense to me...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 11:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrey View Post

Another question about Easy Green. Which parameter value can I use as a guideline for dosing? Is there a rule like "dose until nitrates are 10ppm" or "until phosphates are 1ppm"?
The rule "1 pump per gallon" doesn't make much sense to me...
Easy Green is a All In One liquid fert. https://www.aquariumcoop.com/collect...one-fertilizer

The directions are 1 pump per 10 gallons, but since you are only going to be dosing around 3 gallons, you'd need to use about half a pump. Cory and his staff are good about getting back to people that have questions. Contacting them and asking what you should do would be your best course of action to figure it out.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:00 AM
Algae Grower

I am not being sarcastic: how do you do half a pump? One pump into a small container of water, and then pour half?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streetwise View Post
I am not being sarcastic: how do you do half a pump? One pump into a small container of water, and then pour half?
Measure out how much a single pump is, divide by half then either use a syringe to dose with or something like a 1/4 - 1/8 teaspoon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode