Please Help: High Tech 250g Hair/BBA 12 months old - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Please Help: High Tech 250g Hair/BBA 12 months old

Problem: I've been fighting BBA and Hair algae for several months. I've tried spot dosing peroxide (didn't even turn BBA red). Manual removal only results in regrowth (definitely a balance problem here somewhere). I checked TDS today for the first time in a few months and it's out of control. I definitely have some kind of precipitants floating in the tank despite hourly water changes.

Setup: I run an Apex ph controller set to drop pH ~1 deg during lighting period. Lighting period is ~6.5-7hrs using 4xEcoTech XR15FW G4 Pros over a 72x24x31" tank. Although most of the algae grows on my DHG Belem carpet, it also appears other places in the tank and my plants aren't getting what they need. I've been dosing PPS Pro High light suggested dosing from GLA forever in this tank via an Apex DOS spreading the dosage out evenly with the lighting period. As far as normal water changes go, I have a drain pump that turns on for ~7min (1g) an hour and the tank gets refilled directly from an RO/DI system.

Stock: Until last week I pretty much only had RCS, Amanos, and Oto's. In the last week I've added ~70 very small fish (most less than an inch).

Parameters:
ph: 6.7 with CO2, 7.7 (off-gassed)
Nitrate: 35ppm
kH: 4.48
gh: 80ppm (remineralized from RO/DI with Ultimate GH Booster)
TDS: crazy off the chart at 650ppm but I had just added K2CO3 in raw form

What I've tried: Last month replaced DI Resin in RO/DI, output still showing 0ppm. A couple weeks ago I did a fairly in-depth manual water change using a turkey baster to blow out detrius. Last week I cut off the CSM+B Micro nutrients (thought maybe the aquasoil got saturated). I just switched today from Baking Soda to K2CO3 for buffering. Definitely seeing slightly more pearling this week.

Thinking: Got into reading some old CSM toxicity posts. Not sold, but compared my dosing amounts to what others put on the "Share your dosing thread" and my balances are way off based on what they're using. I'd be interested in choosing one of Happi's custom dosing formulas and trying that instead of PPS Pro.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20190601_152513.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	882391  

Name:	MVIMG_20190601_152508.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	453.2 KB
ID:	882393  

Name:	MVIMG_20190601_152458.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	486.2 KB
ID:	882395  

Name:	MVIMG_20190601_152504.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	500.5 KB
ID:	882397  

Name:	MVIMG_20190601_152528.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	567.5 KB
ID:	882399  

Name:	MVIMG_20190601_152449.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	882401  

Greggz and Maryland Guppy like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 02:28 AM

I am a beginner. I have done planted aquarium tank for three months. About two weeks from the beginning, green hair algae and grey cotton things started to grow up on woods, then those started to cover all my plants. I was thinking quit it. But my local fish store's staff gave me some advices. I put a media, PHOS-ZORB, which removes phosphate. even not HOB filter, I have only box filter. Also I put five snails in the tank. Several days later my tank looked clearer and better and better until I set a sweet potato. I just read someone here talk about it. It should not be set under water. Now algae has been gone, but water is milky. So I changed the hanger of potato. Now the water is back to clean.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Viola! I didn't even think of phosphates. I'll put some phosnet in tomorrow!

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Why the removal of phosphates in a planted tank???
It is one of the most used macro nutrients by plants???

The LFS grows how many plants very well???

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Why the removal of phosphates in a planted tank???
It is one of the most used macro nutrients by plants???

The LFS grows how many plants very well??? <a href="https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/images/PlantedTank_net_2015/smilies/tango_face_plain.png" border="0" alt="" title="Serious" >:-)</a>
At this point I dont know what else to try.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentoo9ball View Post
Lighting period is ~6.5-7hrs using 4xEcoTech XR15FW G4 Pros over a 72x24x31" tank.
Let's address the elephant in the room, lighting. Are you running all four full strength for 6.5-7 hrs and were you running them longer previously.
Maryland Guppy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:10 PM
Algae Grower

Reduce lighting and add some Siamese Algae Eaters.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Let's address the elephant in the room, lighting. Are you running all four full strength for 6.5-7 hrs and were you running them longer previously.
So, These graphs are fairly similar, but basically they're running north of 80% for 4 hrs in that time period. I was originally using the Apex graph. Apex doesn't support the freshwater version of this light, so I have a custom spectrum code plugged in in the advanced page of this setup. I wasn't sure if my spectrum was causing problems because my plant growth was weird (stunted, small leaves, old growth dying quickly with algae on them), so I switched to a similar graph in ecosmart. This graph was spread out more a month ago, running the lights for 8-9 hours instead.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventchur View Post
Reduce lighting and add some Siamese Algae Eaters.
How much to reduce lighting (% or time?) and how many SAE's would you recommend?

Bump: I really need a PAR meter, anybody in MD got one I can borrow??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	882453  

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	882455  

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Random thought, Maybe my sump setup is not ideal... I get a bunch of detrius buildup in it despite having 100 micron mesh filter socks on the intake. The skimmer section just has heaters and probes. The refugium section has 2L-3L of Matrix, but I don't know how much water actually flows through it. The final tiny drop section has a porus sponge and ~12 tiny bags of purigen before it its the pump.

What if...
I setup bubblers under the matrix to force current through the matrix, or put it in a reactor
Put the purigen in a reactor
Added more mechanical filtration via switching out one or two (total 3) of the mesh socks with felt socks

I originally switched to mesh socks because I was constantly pulling shrimp and fish out of the filter socks. My buddy who's a 3d printing expert came over and printed me the perfect solution for the overflows up top. Neeever any fish/shrimp anymore and flow is perfect through a herbie setup.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Some thoughts:

Could have an excess of K, PPS Pro is a bit heavy IMO and you are adding it for KH too.

Lowering pH could help. Why target a KH of 4.5? You could call it a day @ 1dKH.
Lower pH would ensure better use of the CSM+B EDTA compound.
FWIW I've bean measuring plant uptake of Fe @ .013-.015ppm per day.

Photo-period of 6.5-7 hours should be fine.

4 radions could be quite overdone.
With the overlap of the lights PAR could be way high.
3 on that tank with a lower setting using a PAR meter would most likely do you well.
Those 4 could light a 10' long tank quite well I'd imagine.

Sump:
I've never had an issue with Purigen, others have discontinued using it.
Poret foam is an excellent bio-media, could eliminate matrix, foam, socks etc...

post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
Some thoughts:

Could have an excess of K, PPS Pro is a bit heavy IMO and you are adding it for KH too.

Lowering pH could help. Why target a KH of 4.5? You could call it a day @ 1dKH.
Lower pH would ensure better use of the CSM+B EDTA compound.
FWIW I've bean measuring plant uptake of Fe @ .013-.015ppm per day.

Photo-period of 6.5-7 hours should be fine.

4 radions could be quite overdone.
With the overlap of the lights PAR could be way high.
3 on that tank with a lower setting using a PAR meter would most likely do you well.
Those 4 could light a 10' long tank quite well I'd imagine.

Sump:
I've never had an issue with Purigen, others have discontinued using it.
Poret foam is an excellent bio-media, could eliminate matrix, foam, socks etc...
Thanks Gup!

I really like the thought of lower kH, just scared to bump the pH down that far. I've read the pH after CO2 drop is almost irrelevant to fish, is that true? As long as I introduce enough oxygen?

I'll definitely look into the Poret Foam, just have to figure out the best most long lasting way to put it in the Trigger 39. That's kind of exciting on it's own.

For K, yeah it's insanely high. I filled out the Tank Parameters V3.6 and got these before I stopped CSM+B. I'm that PPS Pro doesn't have any Ni, but now that I have more fish I'm guessing I'm getting it from fish food?
Fe:
Daily: 0.0940
Weekly: 0.6580
K:
Daily: 7.9914
Weekly: 55.9400
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Poret foam is also a very long lasting foam. 10+ years easy.
It's structure prevents it from degrading and falling apart.
There is one distributor in the US, Swiss Tropicals I believe.
It is not the cheapest though.

FWIW my TDS runs around 135-140 dropping daily until I dose again.
Using RO/DI and seeing numbers over 600 would turn my wagon for sure.

post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:29 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just emailed Swiss to ask for the best configuration and custom cut for the sump.

I'm testing TDS with an AMTAST Waterproof pH/ORP/Conductivity/TDS/Salt/Temp Tester ORP Probe Meter and it correlates some what with the Conductivity Probe of the Apex. Keep in mind I had to make my own conductivity solution to calibrate the Apex, so it's more of a guide.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Stephan is a good resource for the Poret material.
Maybe buy a larger sheet of 2" material, cut and have several pieces in your sump.
One can be removed and cleaned without affecting the "cycle"?
deeda likes this.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 03:00 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by violasound.sp View Post
I am a beginner. I have done planted aquarium tank for three months. About two weeks from the beginning, green hair algae and grey cotton things started to grow up on woods, then those started to cover all my plants. I was thinking quit it. But my local fish store's staff gave me some advices. I put a media, PHOS-ZORB, which removes phosphate. even not HOB filter, I have only box filter. Also I put five snails in the tank. Several days later my tank looked clearer and better and better until I set a sweet potato. I just read someone here talk about it. It should not be set under water. Now algae has been gone, but water is milky. So I changed the hanger of potato. Now the water is back to clean.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Circling back to your sweet potato--

They're great at soaking up nutrients, but I wouldn't bother trying to use the whole potato--as you found they can rot if they get too wet. Just use cuttings. You can let them sprout on the counter, break off the sprouts and just stick them in water til they start putting out roots. So you can have your sweet potato and can eat it too....

There are beautiful ornamental sweet potato vines that come in either lime green/chartreuse, or in a dark purple-black that you can get at any garden store. Just take cutting from these, or you can wash the dirt off the roots and stick the whole thing in.

Just about any non-toxic plant that will sprout in water will do the same--and dress up the outside of your tank. Hell, I've even got some hydroponic basil I stuck in my tank while I'm away to keep it going, and hopefully keep the algae at bay.

Fish with pesto, anyone?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode