• 1 Post By MobileEMP
  • 1 Post By RollaPrime

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Algae Nightmare and Cuba Carpet

Hey there!

Newbie here seeking some advice. Iíve got a new setup, about 3 weeks old. 21 gallon, hi tech setup. Lighting is the aqua illumination freshwater. Everything was going well until I hit an algae roadblock.....

Carpet was carpeting... plants are thriving.... went away for a few days and returned to a hair algae nightmare. Hereís my challenge.... I simply canít remove the algae without removing the carpet. I just destroyed most of it trying LOL.

Many of my other plants and hardscape rock is also covered. I am considering just starting over. I know that lighting has a huge impact on this so I have a few questions.

1. Anyone use the AI freshwater? What are your ideal settings to still give enough light for high light plants such as the Cuba without too much to produce algae growth?

2. Any ideas on how to remove the hair algae without ripping up the carpet.

3. Should I bleach dip everything else including the other plants?

4. Should I just start over.... lol?

Any/all advice is greatly appreciated!

Hereís a pic of my tank when things werenít so chaotic hahaha.

Iíve since gotten rid of the Anubias, and the carpet has grown MUCH denser.

This is where I am right now after destroying the carpet and removing one rock to try and scrub it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 08:44 PM
Planted Member

I am no pro by any means but I would suggest riding it out for a little while. New tanks in my experience tend to go thru some algae cycles. If you dont figure out what/why/how the algae is taking off then it will repeat even if you tear everything down.

Like I said no pro here but there are others that with more knowledge will help if you get them some more information.

List up your water parameters (every test you have available), light duration/intensity that your currently using, what/if your dosing anything.

Grab a few amanos and nerites if your so inclined, they will help.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I am no pro by any means but I would suggest riding it out for a little while. New tanks in my experience tend to go thru some algae cycles. If you dont figure out what/why/how the algae is taking off then it will repeat even if you tear everything down.

Like I said no pro here but there are others that with more knowledge will help if you get them some more information.

List up your water parameters (every test you have available), light duration/intensity that your currently using, what/if your dosing anything.

Grab a few amanos and nerites if your so inclined, they will help.

Thanks for the reply! So much so appreciated!

Yesterday, I ended up going to the store buying some Cuba tissue culture, and thought let me get aggressive before I tear everything up. So thatís what I did! I actually tried the H2O2 dose method and it did seem to work. I did have one neon tetra die, but luckily all 4 of my Amanos are looking good as ever this morning.

I did the 50% water change, and things are looking a little better this morning. When the tank was half full I replanted the carpet.

As for parameters, I am going to retest in a little bit. Iíve got the usual hardness, ph and ammonia kits.... things have been normal every time I test but Iíll post my latest results today.

For dosing Iíve got flourish root tabs in there and have been using the fluval liquid ferts.

On to lighting. I really think this is my biggest issue. I am running my AI Prime Freshwater ramping up and down an hour with about 8 hours at full power. Not sure if youíre familiar with this light, but you can really customize itóI just donít know how much is enough light without going too strong.... the plants seem to love it (and so does the algae lol).

Hereís a photo just taken... a lot less algae. In the left corner under the co2 diffuser there is a ton of algae on the s repens that is driving me crazy.... it has just carpeted so nicely that I donít want to mess around with it too much.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:48 PM

Hey! I was running my Prime Freshwater at 20% (roughly) and it was only 16 inches from the substrate. I had PAR readings at 160u/mol which is more than enough light for the DHG carpet I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joeturbo likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 04:37 PM
Planted Member

I am no pro either but from looking at your tank my guess is that your problem is three fold. Organics, light, and flow. My approach would be to reduce the photo period, increase the flow (which might be helped by removing the big rock at the back to stop it creating dead zones.) At a glance the surface of your water is showing a lot of organics in both pic one and two. A water change and a drastic reduction on whatever fert your dosing, in fact I'd recommend no ferts at all for at least a week. And then start small (maybe 10% of your usual dose) and see how your plants react.

I hope this helps.
Joeturbo likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode