Hair algae - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:22 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
No It just takes me to a new forum, I shouldn't of got a bit testy, but I know that all my fish are extremely healthy, always are and after 1 week of using excel (5 ml every other day) I had 3 Rainbows die and the others were acting really lethargic, I did a 50% water change and they went back to being healthy again with no issues since, it was the only thing that could of did it, no change in diet, water parameters were perfect, no new additions, nothing but the excel.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Again, it's your phone. My phone does the same, mobile site via Tapatalk probably. View it on the PC dude.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Again, it's your phone. My phone does the same, mobile site via Tapatalk probably. View it on the PC dude.

Again I know excel did not do anything to what I have but I did have 3 fish die and a nerite snail, there's many people who have stated they have had fish die as well, im not the only one, appreciate you trying to help but excel won't be used in my tank again.

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:31 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Again I know excel did not do anything to what I have but I did have 3 fish die and a nerite snail, there's many people who have stated they have had fish die as well, im not the only one, appreciate you trying to help but excel won't be used in my tank again.

Again, you're quoting the wrong person. I'm not saying Excel kills or doesn't kill fish.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank

RAOK CLUB #0

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raith View Post
Again, you're quoting the wrong person. I'm not saying Excel kills or doesn't kill fish.

That's very odd, my first quote was to the person who stated that excel didn't kill my fish and it keeps showing your name as his, lol I'm sorry, Tapatalk is definitely acting up I'll go to the browser version on my tablet, apologies.

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:44 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
would you like to see what it did to an anubias as well?

Also I have absolutely no reason to lie about anything and that's what you pretty much just said

I'm not saying you are lying, what I'm saying is that Excel alone in 5 ml per 55 gallon tank dose (every other day!) is not killing fish and is not killing anubias. This dose is way on the safe side. There are few plants that don't like Excel but anubias is not one of them (and in fact it is one of the hardiest plants to kill - some people even wash it in bleach to clean the algae). Come on, some people use Excel even with CRS. I personally was sometimes using up to twenty times recommended dose to kill algae - without any negative effect on plants, fish and shrimp (bamboo and amano). Some fish in that tanks is usually considered pretty sensitive to chemicals - e.g. zebra loaches, chocolate gouramis, ottos.

I've no idea what have happened in your tank but the symptoms you've described point to breathing problems in your fish which may be caused by many "innocent" things that can easily go unnoticed: temperature got higher then usual, turned off canister filter for half a day and then simply turned it on, too much CO2 got injected into tank (if using CO2 injection), water circulation reduced because some pump broken / filter got clogged etc. - there are many small things that can easily fall into category "nothing really changed" from human POV but can affect fish.

I'm pretty sure that something else caused the problems you describe, something else happened that you've missed. I do understand, of course, that on your mind it is Excel and so you are afraid of its use.
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oso Polar View Post
I'm not saying you are lying, what I'm saying is that Excel alone in 5 ml per 55 gallon tank dose (every other day!) is not killing fish and is not killing anubias. This dose is way on the safe side. There are few plants that don't like Excel but anubias is not one of them (and in fact it is one of the hardiest plants to kill - some people even wash it in bleach to clean the algae). Come on, some people use Excel even with CRS. I personally was sometimes using up to twenty times recommended dose to kill algae - without any negative effect on plants, fish and shrimp (bamboo and amano). Some fish in that tanks is usually considered pretty sensitive to chemicals - e.g. zebra loaches, chocolate gouramis, ottos.

I've no idea what have happened in your tank but the symptoms you've described point to breathing problems in your fish which may be caused by many "innocent" things that can easily go unnoticed: temperature got higher then usual, turned off canister filter for half a day and then simply turned it on, too much CO2 got injected into tank (if using CO2 injection), water circulation reduced because some pump broken / filter got clogged etc. - there are many small things that can easily fall into category "nothing really changed" from human POV but can affect fish.

I'm pretty sure that something else caused the problems you describe, something else happened that you've missed. I do understand, of course, that on your mind it is Excel and so you are afraid of its use.
No, nothing changed in my tank, I appreciate your input but all tanks are different, I have hob filters, no c02 nothing happened besides me adding the excel, I have a thought it might of reacted to something in my water chemistry that I cannot check, I don't know if it reacts to things that are in water like metals, things we don't test for etc etc, but when I added the excel a thin layer of what looked to be a foamy substance formed on the surface of my Water, I don't know why it did what it did, but in all reality excel doesn't add enough carbon to the tank to benefit plants anyways, and it does break down the cellular structure of plants and fish, but it shouldn't be instant like it was with my tank it does work as an algecide though
Should Mention I directly dosed that plant with full strength (pulled it out, wet the plant real good treated, rinsed and put back in the tank)

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 05:29 AM
KZB
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hair algae war in my experience can be won by very thorough cleaning. Clean clean clean. I agree on excell and hydrogen peroxide can have detrimental effects on plants and livestock. On the other hand those 2 products can be successfully used on cleaning hardscape and equipment, out of tank. To me the best and safest treatment agaian hair algae is cleanliness. Gravel vac, clean filter and hoses, remove hardscape and I tank equipment and give a excel or peroxide treatment, make sure you have proper circulation. Also hair algae doesnt go away over night, it takes patience and very good tank upkeep to win. During this time it maybe a good idea to lower light intensity or shorten photoperiod. Good luck, I hope you Win!!!!
p0tluck likes this.

"Just keep swimming Just keeping swimming" -Dory
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZB View Post
Hair algae war in my experience can be won by very thorough cleaning. Clean clean clean. I agree on excell and hydrogen peroxide can have detrimental effects on plants and livestock. On the other hand those 2 products can be successfully used on cleaning hardscape and equipment, out of tank. To me the best and safest treatment agaian hair algae is cleanliness. Gravel vac, clean filter and hoses, remove hardscape and I tank equipment and give a excel or peroxide treatment, make sure you have proper circulation. Also hair algae doesnt go away over night, it takes patience and very good tank upkeep to win. During this time it maybe a good idea to lower light intensity or shorten photoperiod. Good luck, I hope you Win!!!!
Yes that's what I was told, I have modified my hob filters to skim the water surface instead of all the down force from the hob's pushing down into the substrate, 2 wavemakers to get a more distribution, I've tried h2o2 and excel In and out of the tank (out of the tank I didnt know had to be diluted which is why it killed my buceps and the one anubias, buceps don't like excel or h202 period however killed all my buceps and almost one anubias which is slowly growing back leaves) , the removal of my hardscape is impossible though, all my plants have rooted them in so I would have to uproot all the plants again, I have tried lower light intensity for a month @ 5 hours, it got worse, I tried lower light intensity at 6.5-8 hours it got worse, tried higher light intensity, stayed the same, heavy ferts got worst, right now I'm doing lean dosing which I'm still in the process to see if that helps lol. I remove handfuls every week when doing my water change it's a nightmare, it doesn't attach to the plants it just grows in the shaded areas in/around them.

I do need to get some faster growing stem plants to help starve it but I cannot get Wisteria or water sprite to grow in my tank for some reason.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode