2Likes
  • 1 Post By Quint
  • 1 Post By Starwarsfan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
GSA outbreak

So didnt realize the most recent algae growing in my 10G was GSA. Left for a few days and when I got home noticed it wasnt getting cleaned off as easily so tried to manually do it which was when I realized what it was. Its on the plants and some on the glass and other hard surfaces.

Current inhabitants Betta, 3 amanos, 1 nerite, 2 OTOs. The snail eats some but the OTOs dont seem to be eating it which makes sense.

Little back story. Initially had diatoms, then green dust and string algae. Got the OTOs and Nerite at the same time I had a dalphne outbreak. Between all three they wiped out the algae.

I have been using thriveS weekly. The plants java ferns, small swords, a ludwigia I think, some baby tears and one or two others and a few Mario balls. The plants were growing good, the java ferns had a bunch of babys that I was replanting. This is low tech so no CO2. BDBS substrate, AC30 filter.

Jump to this Monday when I realized the plants were slowing alot, swords were dying off.

Actions so far, did a 50% water change a few days early. Reduced the light by 2 hours. Its a nicrew classic + 18" so not the best light. I had been leaving it on from about 8am to 9pm. Now its 9am to 8pm. May reduce it more.

Will try to pick up a phosphate test kit today and see where thats at.

Besides playing with lighting time and checking phosphates is there anything else? Can I save any of the plants that are covered? The dalphne dont seem to be making headway with it and the nerite keeps to the glass and substrate. Ive got 4 more nerites in my other tank I can swap over for a little while.

Thanks
Qumulus likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:05 AM
Planted Member

I'll get green spot algae sometimes. I'm almost positive it's when my nitrates are high (20-40ppm) and phosphates are low (0-1ppm), but of course I can't be 100% sure.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks. I have as of yet not gotten a phosphate test kit. Need to.

My well water is somewhere around 10-15ppm nitrates so thats the lowest I can go. That being said even my 40B with a bunch of little fishes will still have 15-20ppm nitrates at the end of the week when I do my water changes.

I did another water change (weekly time to do it) on the 10g, razored all the glass, took what plants I could out and did a dip in excel then rinsed and put back. Will see if it kills the plants or the algae or both.

Upped my dosage of ferts. It seemed as soon as all the other types of algae went away this stuff popped up with a vengeance and on the plants, seems in my limited experience to point to a deficiency of phosphates but I could be totally wrong.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 03:19 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)
increase water flow and increase water changes/cleaning is what i would recommend. also reducing the light like you have is always great to combat algae. your original light cycle of 13 hours is just a bit long in my opinion but not impossible to do in an established tank. i run a split light cycle of 5 on, 4 off, 5 on so a total of 10 hours of light. gsa in that tank is now gone.
Quint likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode