4Likes
  • 1 Post By carlsj2012
  • 2 Post By Asteroid
  • 1 Post By PortalMasteryRy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
critique my algae control method please!

so i have a 1 week old setup 32 gal flex tank with 2 of the aquasky lights 8hrs a day at 100%. this tank is absolutely PACKED with plants and would take far to long to list everything in there. well long story short i picked up some stem plants from a LFS and didnt do a dip on them (shame on me) well within a weeks time the new plants had a crazy outbreak of hair algae (only the new ones that i purchased) within this week since i put them in they have been growing like crazy along with the rest of the plants in the tank.

im runnind the DIY E fert from niclog with pressurized co2 get a 1-1.5 drop in ph through the day and no other plants are showing any signs of algae growth only thew new ones. What is my route of treatment here? i have since taken the infected stems out and sprayed them with 3% h202 and rubbed of what i could then rinsed them. i let them sit after spraying for about 2 miniutes beofre rinsed. should i just back the lights down to like 75% or lower then that?

And the journey for a "high tech" tank begins
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:27 PM
Algae Grower

Could you clarify if the tank is one week old, or if the new plants you purchased are one week old? Any livestock in the tank?

I've always thought that plants need some time to root themselves before they really start using up the nutrients and light that we give them. Might be worth checking your water parameters (if you haven't already) to see where you're at and adjust accordingly. When a tank is new, I don't think it's beneficial to saturate with ferts and light. Start by reducing both, and perform some sequential water changes removing as much physical algae as you can. Then test again and dose as needed. Maybe start at 50% light, or a shorter lighting period. Once the plants take hold, you can start to ramp up your lights and ferts. Daily water tests can be a good indicator of how much the plants are consuming.

*Disclaimer: I'm also relatively new to the hobby, and have also had a rough start with algae. Hope this information is correct and helpful. :P
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so the tank is 1 week old and the plants that are struggling are also 1 week old. i did about a 3 month dry start and all of that stuff is doing just amazing. now with the plants that have the algae i bought a giant lot of plants. but only 1 type out of that lot carried hair algae with it all of the others that were added with it are doing just fine. i do test my levels daily and my nitrates drop daily if i do not dose i aim to maintain around 20-25 ppm of nitrates and my phosphates test around .25 i run purigen and activated carbon. and do weekly w.c at 50% with ro DI water and re mineralize to get around 5dkh

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:57 PM
Algae Grower

Right on. Only other thing I can think of is that the news plants have thrown off the balance of the tank, but since you test for your targets daily, I'm just not sure. Maybe your CO has dropped off? Re-check your pH drop? For what it's worth, I've never dipped my plants and haven't run into any issues. I've been under the impression that if the environment is stable, things will just work themselves out. Maybe it's just blind luck on my part. Anyway, just rambling now. Seems it's beyond my scope of knowledge now! I hope someone with more experience can chime in.

In the meantime, maybe reduce the lighting to help keep things in check.
GreenIntentions likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

will do!... with these aquaskys a siesta is impossible because once they lose power (if put on a timer) they revert to default settings instead of the program. but i can lower intensity for a week and see how that does. thanks for your imput and still willing to hear what others have to say!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

It's advisable not to start off a tank with 8 hours of light. Plants take a little while to get going and the bio-filter is weak so the algae can gain an advantage in the begnning. You definitely don't need two lights on 8 hrs. If anything just run one of them for 2-3 hours as a mid-day burst and the other one longer. This will give any plants that need the stronger light what they need but also help curb algae.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

so i jsut tested the water and got some fresh numbers if it helps after a w/c and a dose of macros after the w.c

gh 15
kh 2-3
nitrate 2
phosphate looks to be between 0 and .25

all tests were done with api liquid with the exception of nitrate which i use the salifert kit

i have the lights set to 75% intensity for when they come on tomorrow, i will also take your advice asteriod and kill one of the lights except for 3 hrs a day but i will set it at 100% for those 3 hours.

Last edited by GreenIntentions; 05-14-2019 at 01:08 AM. Reason: forgot w.c detail and fert dose detail
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:40 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Focus on growing your plants and your algae problems should go away or at least be very minimal. Once you've got good growth then you can start focusing on algae. Usually, at that stage, it should be very easy to control. If you think you have a ton of light then bump the CO2 and make sure you are providing a good amount of nutrients. CO2 is a critical component for plant growth. Limit this element and you are limiting growth which in turn will let algae dominate your plants especially in a high light setup.
Greggz likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortalMasteryRy View Post
Focus on growing your plants and your algae problems should go away or at least be very minimal. Once you've got good growth then you can start focusing on algae. Usually, at that stage, it should be very easy to control. If you think you have a ton of light then bump the CO2 and make sure you are providing a good amount of nutrients. CO2 is a critical component for plant growth. Limit this element and you are limiting growth which in turn will let algae dominate your plants especially in a high light setup.
towards the end of the week (w.c day which is 50%) nitrates are at 25 this is dosing micros and macros on alternating days, am i maybe not dosing enough or would you say its co2 related? the drop checker stays pretty yellow and with such a low kh its almost hard to measure actual amount using the chart. i have otos and some inverts so not sure if they would show gasping or not. but your saying to just slowly start bumping up the co2? do i want to add more bps or more pressure? im at 20lbs working and about 3-4 bps (my first tank with co2)

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 04:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
I just did a full restart on one of my tanks and rewatched some of Dennis Wongís videos on YouTube and paid attention to the dosing aspect.

Keep in mind every new setup will go through some sort of minor algae issues during the cycling and initial setup (first 4-6 weeks). Popular one is diatom algae, minor hair or staghorn maybe.

With that being said Dennis advises to dose only a little nitrate and potassium daily while the roots form and after maybe 3-4 weeks add in iron/micros and phosphates. Otherwise you are far more likely to get larger algae issues. He also mentioned that he had his lighting at full blast levels from the beginning and he runs 150-180 par (from a post on tpt).

I gave this method a test just now and I was very pleased with the outcome. And unlike Dennis I used inert non fertilized substrate (only water column dosing). My lighting is about 80-100.

Just what Iíve read from someoneís opinion I trust and my recent experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode