• 1 Post By livebearerlove
  • 1 Post By Ddrizzle
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How To Plant An Aquarium With Algae?

Hi, so I wanted to plant my aquarium after a couple of months of just having nonliving decor in there due to the algae take over and it just looking incomplete. I have some GSA and a tiny bit of hair algae in my gravel. What would you reccomend for planting my aquarium to make sure the algae dies off and the plants don't get infested with algae?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:38 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettang View Post
Hi, so I wanted to plant my aquarium after a couple of months of just having nonliving decor in there due to the algae take over and it just looking incomplete. I have some GSA and a tiny bit of hair algae in my gravel. What would you reccomend for planting my aquarium to make sure the algae dies off and the plants don't get infested with algae?

Algae is an imbalance.... more nutrients/light than the tank can use and it causes 'other' things to grow. The idea behind getting algae under control is basically a controlled experiment. First off: what are your water parameters:
pH:
Ammonia:
Nitrites:
Nitrates:
What is your maintenance schedule?
What are the inhabitants?
Tank size and light level?

A picture would be great! Then we can best recommend how to proceed
bettang likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Algae is an imbalance.... more nutrients/light than the tank can use and it causes 'other' things to grow. The idea behind getting algae under control is basically a controlled experiment. First off: what are your water parameters:
pH:
Ammonia:
Nitrites:
Nitrates:
What is your maintenance schedule?
What are the inhabitants?
Tank size and light level?

A picture would be great! Then we can best recommend how to proceed

Ph: 8.0
Ammonia: 0.0
Nitrites:0
Nitrates: 20
Weekly 50% water change with algae removal
2 Platies, 6 Neons

20 gallon 15 in. deep, would say medium-low light but not sure

I will get a picture up later.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Medium low, I would recommend a combination of mosses and plants. I did as my 'quarantine tank' I used:
  • Riccia Flutans (tied tightly) on rocks and branches
  • Java moss on branches
  • Wengeii
  • Sagitaria
  • Anubias

I dose Thrice C and Excel and it stays this way.... I ensured the pieces were removable for trimming! lol
I used Eco complete on the base, and some white sand for show and a some petrified wood.

Investing in some wood/rocks and play with the landscape. All these plants are low/medium light, require less ferts, and is great for certain varieties of fish (that you have). Other plants I would recommend:
Water Sprite
Coon tail
Vallisneria
Java Fern
bettang likes this.

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you for the advice. Here are some pictures of the tank:

Also, I was unclear. I meant like what I should do before planting the aquarium. I found some I think would work listed below:
Lobelia Cardinalis
Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf Water Lily Bulb
Bacopa Caroliniana
Staurogyne Repens
Vallisneria Spiralis
Bacopa Monnieri
Dwarf Hairgrass
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5725.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	330.2 KB
ID:	881661  

Name:	IMG_5726.jpg
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	881663  

Name:	IMG_5727.jpg
Size:	254.8 KB
ID:	881665  

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-12-2019 at 03:38 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 AM
Planted Member

I would restart with an amazonia ADA substrate. If that's not possible, I'd get things I can glue to your wood or stone pieces, or things with big roots that the gravel can keep down.

What you want to do next is go in the fertilizer forum and figure out how to dose fertilizers to keep your plants alive.

You will always have a little algae on the glass you need to clean, but if you dose ferts right and have the light right, it will be minimal.
bettang likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:51 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettang View Post
Thank you for the advice. Here are some pictures of the tank:

Also, I was unclear. I meant like what I should do before planting the aquarium. I found some I think would work listed below:
Lobelia Cardinalis
Dwarf Hairgrass
Dwarf Water Lily Bulb
Bacopa Caroliniana
Staurogyne Repens
Vallisneria Spiralis
Bacopa Monnieri
Dwarf Hairgrass

Some of the items on that list wont work in low light- take hairgrass for example, it is expensive, but it will surely die off if not planted in amazonia (soil type substrate) and has high light, preferably CO2 injection and adequate ferts. If it starts to die off, it will easily muck up your water table.

I would scrub your glass down getting a decent amount of diatoms and GSA off. Make sure not to wash your filter, etc. You can technically use any substrate... as long as you dose the water column, but of course it is easier with something like amazonia.
bettang likes this.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
I would restart with an amazonia ADA substrate. If that's not possible, I'd get things I can glue to your wood or stone pieces, or things with big roots that the gravel can keep down.

What you want to do next is go in the fertilizer forum and figure out how to dose fertilizers to keep your plants alive.

You will always have a little algae on the glass you need to clean, but if you dose ferts right and have the light right, it will be minimal.

Is plain silicone like GE fine for aquarium use?

I have a few ferts left over from my last attempt. Nicolg all in one liquid, seachem equillibrium, and Osmocote root tabs. I would like to reuse them also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Some of the items on that list wont work in low light- take hairgrass for example, it is expensive, but it will surely die off if not planted in amazonia (soil type substrate) and has high light, preferably CO2 injection and adequate ferts. If it starts to die off, it will easily muck up your water table.

I would scrub your glass down getting a decent amount of diatoms and GSA off. Make sure not to wash your filter, etc. You can technically use any substrate... as long as you dose the water column, but of course it is easier with something like amazonia.

I will revise my list then. I want a jungle type aquascape with plants everywhere. Would some of these plants work better? :

Dwarf Water Lily Bulb
Bacopa Caroliniana
Staurogyne Repens
Vallisneria Spiralis
Jungle Val.
Banana Plant
Anubias Nana
Amazon Sword

I've been using a old plastic card to scrape off algae although it still is fairly dirty. I've been intending to try a razor although it can ruin the silicone so I won't go near it with the razor.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:15 PM
Planted Member

If you want to be safe, there is glue specifically marketed for tanks. If you do glue moss, go crazy with it because it grows slooowww unless it's java moss. But yeah, your substrate is limiting you to larger plants with thicker roots, unlike say a dwarf baby tear which would be almost impossible in the gravel.

As for ferts, go to rotala butterfly and check out their dosing calculators. You need nitrate, potassium and phosphate at a roughly 10:10:1 ppm ratio. Then you need calcium and magnesium at a 3:1 ratio (can be lenient here) from gh boosters if you are using RO water. Then you need iron and micros, which CSM + B usually gives you easily.
bettang likes this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
If you want to be safe, there is glue specifically marketed for tanks. If you do glue moss, go crazy with it because it grows slooowww unless it's java moss. But yeah, your substrate is limiting you to larger plants with thicker roots, unlike say a dwarf baby tear which would be almost impossible in the gravel.

As for ferts, go to rotala butterfly and check out their dosing calculators. You need nitrate, potassium and phosphate at a roughly 10:10:1 ppm ratio. Then you need calcium and magnesium at a 3:1 ratio (can be lenient here) from gh boosters if you are using RO water. Then you need iron and micros, which CSM + B usually gives you easily.

I can get GE Silicone I All Purpose Caulk which is safe based off some searches on here.

Is there some way to set it to give you dosing based off the levels you want? I have been getting results like .5 PPM potassium while getting 7.5 PPM nitrate and 1.4 PPM phosphate.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:49 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Silicone and calhk take eternity to dry. Your want to use super glue or use fishing line (or a combination of them)
bettang likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode