Another algae ID post - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Another algae ID post

I have this algae in my 15g and I think it is hair but not sure . It is on the edges of the broad leaf plants...anubias,java fern ,etc . It grows with a few strands coming from a single point and spaced along the edge of leaf . Any help appreciated .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190509_125043.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	881629  

Name:	20190509_125046.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	881631  

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:30 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Staghorn. Check your fertilizer parameters.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks , will do .

After some more research I believe it is thread algae . It doesn't have the branching that staghorn has , but the way the pics are it looks like it does . It just comes straight off the leaf edge two or three from one spot on the leaf . I looks like roots in a way , but I don't think so....lol I am going to treat it as thread and see what I can do with it . Thanks for the help .

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Last edited by Darkblade48; 05-10-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 01:11 AM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeatl View Post
After some more research I believe it is thread algae . It doesn't have the branching that staghorn has , but the way the pics are it looks like it does . It just comes straight off the leaf edge two or three from one spot on the leaf . I looks like roots in a way , but I don't think so....lol I am going to treat it as thread and see what I can do with it . Thanks for the help .
I've been in your position. What matters is the color and length. Thread algae is green and long. Red algae (staghorn and bba) has a tendency to latch onto the edges of leaves when they are dying or lacking the correct ferts to grow properly.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I have BBA too....lucky me , but I will have to look tomorrow to see what color it is for sure . I think it was a dark color , but I wan't paying that much attention to the color at the time . I have looked at hundreds of pics of "thread" algae and none look like what I have . This drawing is the closest I can do.......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Leaf.png
Views:	4
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	881635  

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 07:07 PM
Planted Member

I'm still leaning towards red algae. Check your nitrate and TDS levels. Red algae seems to love dirty tanks. I've found that staghorn also likes high iron (above 1.0ppm).

Clean your tank and filter all the way through (but do t rinse the bio media).

Make sure your phosphate, potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron and micros are in balance with your nitrate levels as well.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think I have gotten a handle on balancing this tank . The algae has stopped spreading . I am hitting it with Glut and it is dying . It turns red and is hard to get off leaves . I have been pulling dying/covered leaves , and the Platys are eating it some , but what else can I do to get it off the plants after it dies ? Maybe just let it decompose on its own . I have very low nitrates and do dose nitrogen some so added decomposing material is not a major concern. Anyway here is a pic...darnest stuff I have ever dealt wit...lol
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190524_165805_Burst01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	882031  

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
My guess is staghorn algae. Known to be tough to get rid of and very tough to remove physically. I used hydrogen peroxide to get rid of it and balancing of the tank to keep it from coming back. Peroxide is probably way cheaper then what you are using but what you are doing does seem to be killing some of it off so keep it up. I would just wait for it to die off and release then to try and pull it off.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know peroxide is cheaper , but I dose Excel anyway so Just a mater of turning off filters,spot dose,wait a while,turn filters back on . Thanks for the tips , though .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode