For high tech tanks, how often do you need to clean your glass? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By Xiaozhuang

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
For high tech tanks, how often do you need to clean your glass?

I've been experimenting with lighting conditions a d noticed that once I hit 60-70 for 8 hours a day, I get a ton of green fuzz algae covering my glass within a few days.

If this isnt related to simply modifying my tank and everything adjusting... does that mean I'll need to clean this algae off my glass every week to keep it looking clean?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I gave up high tech some time ago, but in most of mine, the front and side glass stayed cleaner on average than my low tech tanks. Unless I keep fish that will eat them, I throw a "handful" of pond, trumpet snails, and Neo shrimp to every tank I set up though the same could be said for my LT tanks. If it's early on into bright lights and CO2, things will need to settle out. I never sought to go beyond 30 PPM CO2 though FWIW.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
I've been experimenting with lighting conditions a d noticed that once I hit 60-70 for 8 hours a day, I get a ton of green fuzz algae covering my glass within a few days.

If this isnt related to simply modifying my tank and everything adjusting... does that mean I'll need to clean this algae off my glass every week to keep it looking clean?
FWIW:
All of my tanks are on a 6.5 hour photo period due to a light controller that cannot be altered per tank.

80G is 120 PAR, every 3-4 weeks clean the glass a bit.
33G is 80 PAR and never clean the glass.
75G is 50 PAR and the glass is always a train wreck but plants are clean.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
FWIW:
All of my tanks are on a 6.5 hour photo period due to a light controller that cannot be altered per tank.

80G is 120 PAR, every 3-4 weeks clean the glass a bit.
33G is 80 PAR and never clean the glass.
75G is 50 PAR and the glass is always a train wreck but plants are clean.

Interesting. My glass stayed much clearer at 40 par than 60-70.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 09:38 AM
Algae Grower

Iím running lower light plants / no fast growing stem plants and found I had to decrease lighting compared to heavily planted else getting algae every few weeks (GSA as well which was tricky to clean off).
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Interesting. I suppose my tank isn't really heavily planted at this point. Maybe that's my issue.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:39 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
If you have more well-growing plants, you'll have much fewer algae problems. Different types of algae signify different conditions/characteristics about your tank. Check out Dennis Wong's section on algae to learn directly from an expert: https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/control-algae.html

Per Dennis (and also from my experience), algae in general is pretty unavoidable but can be very well controlled in the planted tank if you have optimal plant growth and tank parameter balance. FME, in my best tanks with minimal algae problems, I only had to deal with a little bit of green dust algae that would accumulate on my glass. I could easily control this by getting one of those magnetic algae scrapers and just doing a really cursory sweep every other day or so (while also enjoying my scape). You can pretty much do this while brushing your teeth if you want to be hyper-efficient.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 04:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

My 40 breeder has a Fluval 3.0 and a Finnex Fugeray Planted+ on it. Under the Fluval I'm measuring about 114 PAR at the substrate, and under the Finnex about 65-70. I get a slight haze of GDA on the glass that I just wipe down every week (since it's only slight, I don't feel the need to let it do the full cycle thing to get rid of it, I don't mind wiping down the glass).

The tank is EI dosed, macro nutrients are front loaded when I do my water change, with a weekly 50% water change and an 8 hour photoperiod.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ok, gda is my main problem these days as well. Good to k ow that is somewhag normal
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:57 PM
Wannabe Guru

Very normal. I don't get horrible buildup, but still clean glass weekly during a water change.

|

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 06:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post
Ok, gda is my main problem these days as well. Good to k ow that is somewhag normal
Yeah, just get one of those magnetic scrapers and do that daily to the front of your tank. And weekly just get a real scraper and to the back and sides. You really should be doing at least a minimal amount of maintenance every week, including pruning off dead/dying leaves, etc. If you want a professional looking aquascape, then you will have to work like professional landscapers do for those nice looking gardens and do weekly pruning/maintenance at a bare minimum.

ADA 120P, DoAqua 90P, ADA 60P, ADA 30C x2, ADA 45P, ADA Mini-M
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 12:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang
Dust algae shouldn't be on the glass at all. I suspect that folks that get that either have elevated organic waste levels or high NO3 levels in the water column.
If your tank is lean in water column dosing, and biofiltration is working well... glass shouldn't need cleaning for many months

Running 200 PAR on the substrate level, this is what my glass looks like after 3/4 months of not touching it

Regards, Dennis [
]
47g Journal of sorts

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:10 AM
Planted Member

Havenít cleaned the glass ever on my tank.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-25-2019, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaozhuang View Post
Dust algae shouldn't be on the glass at all. I suspect that folks that get that either have elevated organic waste levels or high NO3 levels in the water column.

If your tank is lean in water column dosing, and biofiltration is working well... glass shouldn't need cleaning for many months

Running 200 PAR on the substrate level, this is what my glass looks like after 3/4 months of not touching it

I can not believe the beauty of your tanks. As always, well done. Whatís that deep purple plant?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode