Algae and cycling discussion? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb Algae and cycling discussion?

Hi all,

I know this topic has been beaten to death, but wondering if there are any new takes on this method, or if someone is willing to share their 'go to' method. Question is: How do you deal with algae during the cycle (be detailed please ), and how do you make sure that it doesn't persist after the tank cycles/stabilizes? Another question as well, how do you make sure it doesn't come back after the tank stabilizes?

Personally, I just cycle my tank with the lights off and when the cycle is done I add my clean up crew and plants on the same day with medium lighting and no ferts until the plants show growth. I would bet the DSM is a winner too but I haven't tried it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 08:52 PM
Planted Member

I've cycled three tanks by dosing with ammonia and never had algae. Only had a single milky bacteria bloom that lasted a day each time. No ferts were added until after cycling was complete.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh I see, what ammonia source did you use? Also do you know what the bacteria bloom was?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 04:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

Right now I'm cycling a 10g nano tank, dosing pure ammonia, gave it a good sponge squeezing from an established tank, also dosing KH2PO4 as it does have some plants, and in the 2ish weeks it's been up, I haven't seen any algae yet. Running the light which gives me about 100 PAR @ substrate for about 4 hours a day with co2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 10:58 PM
Planted Member

I used this everytime: https://www.amazon.com/DrTims-Aquati.../dp/B006MP4QG6

Just dose as it says. You should have the ammonia spiked for a week or two. Keep dosing if the ammonia falls so the nitryfying bacteria can eat. Check nitrite and nitrate every day along with ammonia. If nitrite or nitrate production is stalled, then do a 50% water change until the ammonia startss going down and the nitrite/nitrate go up.

Once 6ou can add ammonia and it's gone by the end of the day, giving you more nitrate, you are good to go.

Also Google fishless cycling for details if you need them.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddrizzle View Post

Just dose as it says. You should have the ammonia spiked for a week or two. Keep dosing if the ammonia falls so the nitryfying bacteria can eat. Check nitrite and nitrate every day along with ammonia. If nitrite or nitrate production is stalled, then do a 50% water change until the ammonia startss going down and the nitrite/nitrate go up.

Once 6ou can add ammonia and it's gone by the end of the day, giving you more nitrate, you are good to go.

Thanks! Do you have any experience cycling with a substrate that leaches ammonia quickly (aquasoil for example)?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 03:39 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydemir View Post
Quote:

Thanks! Do you have any experience cycling with a substrate that leaches ammonia quickly (aquasoil for example)?
Yeah, that might have enough ammonia to cycle without the ammonia dropper but I'd get it anyways and just do the procedure so you know everything happens as it should. That's what I did at least.

Biggest thing I didnt read was that water changes are fine a d actually required when the nitrate is at a high ppm to continue the cycle.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Yeah, that might have enough ammonia to cycle without the ammonia dropper but I'd get it anyways and just do the procedure so you know everything happens as it should. That's what I did at least.

Biggest thing I didnt read was that water changes are fine a d actually required when the nitrate is at a high ppm to continue the cycle.
I recall reading that the water changes were to actually reduce the amount of ammonia in the water as it would actually be too toxic for the bacteria to establish? When I cycled with aquasoil my ammonia went above 10ppm so I'm not too surprised water changes are recommended.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

When you startup a tank with AS there is an ADA "playbook" that works for most people. You changed 50% of the water daily for the 1st week, 2nd week 50% every other day, 3 week every 3 days and by the 4th week and going forward average 50% 1st a week. This will reduce the ammonia and the tank is usually cycled by then. You don't need to add anything to the water. You can plant from day one to get them growing and help with the water conditions.

ADA also uses carbon as the majority of filter media for the 1st month to help remove toxins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
algae cycle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode