Hair algae back with a vengeance/unable to grow plants - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
That dose is just to completely annihilate hair algae. You can see the details here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...l#post10762025. A lot of us use an H2O2 approach, but i was never satisfied with the results and it killed too many fish.

My experience in using it regularly at the nutrient dosing level was definitely positive. I added, withdrew it, then added and tried this cycle many times to prove to myself that it really works in a low-tech tank. It does add carbon (more than is available from atmospheric CO2), but nothing like injected CO2. Perhaps your beneficial withdrawal experience was related to a luxury uptake action, where plants seem to thrive for quite a while and it makes us think it was because we pulled back on something.
Oh yeah I will never do h2o2 again I killed 5 tetras by trying that method for my last bout of the algae I had, I just don't want to kill my fish, (I have to restock due to I didn't know about microbubble disease and killed both my sentani rainbows from a water change with microbubbles) wanted to quit the hobby after that, so I'll try it but I don't want to go crazy, what would be a good safe amount for a worry wart like me?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:05 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by p0tluck View Post
Oh yeah I will never do h2o2 again I killed 5 tetras by trying that method for my last bout of the algae I had, I just don't want to kill my fish, (I have to restock due to I didn't know about microbubble disease and killed both my sentani rainbows from a water change with microbubbles) wanted to quit the hobby after that, so I'll try it but I don't want to go crazy, what would be a good safe amount for a worry wart like me?

If you are just looking for the plant carbon supplemental action, then just use Seachem's or NilocG's recommendations, depending upon if you are using Excel or Enhance, respectively. Those recommendations are well into the safe zone.

API also makes a product just for algae, called "AlgaeFix." It works, but it can be tricky as well because it can heavily stress fish and some may succumb. If you decide to try that, the stress can be reduced by dividing doses up into smaller doses with a few hours between each, which gives fish time to adapt. This doesn't seem to change its effectiveness on algae. Also, increase oxygen. I prefer my glut annihilator technique of all the options simply because I've never lost anything to it and it does destroy all hair algae once the right dose is found. If you try it, start with .5 ml /gal only because your pH is above 7. If it doesn't totally eliminate the hair algae, go up in .25 increments each week until you find the sweet spot for your tank. These are only temporary fixes until you get your plants in condition to beat back the algae.
Maryland Guppy likes this.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Update, I added 11 more fish to my tank, 6 bows 5 more tetras to make a group of 11 as I was told tetras like odd groups, I also modified my hob's so that the current is more on the surface and not pushing everything into the pearl grass and flowing more evenly in the tank, since those 2 changes my pearl grass is growing like crazy, hair algae is still present but seems to be slowing and dissipating, could it be from me adding more fish? I was told im probably getting more c02 from fish resperation as well as other things from fish waste.

Getting some more super fast growing stem plants soon to help try to starve the hair algae but as mentioned I can't get Wisteria /water sprite to grow so looking for recommendations on what I can substitute with that would grow in my low tech med light tank.

Before Pic is first, the other 2 pictures are from today about a week week growth difference, as well as the hob modifications

Greggz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode