Strange thick coating on dwarf hair grass and water sprite - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kubla

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Strange thick coating on dwarf hair grass and water sprite

Hi there!

So I have a 14 gal planted tank running an AI prime light dosing with CO2, 1 bubble every 3 seconds when light is on. I have 4 tetras 2 Cory cats 3 Bertie snails and 3 shrimp.

Iíve never seen this before and it kind of sprung up out of no where as I havenít been home in 3 days(friend was topping water off and feeding while I was gone, nothing else)

Any idea what it could be or how to fix it? Iím starting to see more algae growing in other parts as well and wasnít sure if this was the diatoms or something else.

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

As a note, I e just lowered my light time from 10 hours to 8 powered on including a 30 min sun rise sun set

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Looks like Cyanobacteria which is typically brought on by low nitrates. Are you dosing fertilizers?

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am once a week. I just tested my tank and my nitrates are near 0 but itís not digital so Iím not sure exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Looks like Cyanobacteria which is typically brought on by low nitrates. Are you dosing fertilizers?

Hey thanks for replying. I tested my tank last night and my nitrate levels are near zero. Itís not a digital test just to strip so Iím not sure the exact number. And yes I am dosing fertilizer once a week, I did those little early this week though.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-01-2019 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:22 PM
Algae Grower

I've never heard of BGA being brought on by low nitrates (I've more commonly heard low flow and low oxygen, but I'm not sure I believe those either.) My favorite method to take care of it is to dose the tank with something like Chemiclean. It's safe for your biological filter and all of your livestock, and two doses should clear up all of that in a week or so.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 11:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermichigan View Post
I've never heard of BGA being brought on by low nitrates (I've more commonly heard low flow and low oxygen, but I'm not sure I believe those either.) My favorite method to take care of it is to dose the tank with something like Chemiclean. It's safe for your biological filter and all of your livestock, and two doses should clear up all of that in a week or so.

Great advice! Iíll pick up a bottle tomorrow. Thank you!

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 02:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I think you need to take a look at the overall picture. Why are your nitrates near 0? Plants need nitrates to grow. You need to provide the nutrients your plants need or algae and bacteria will take over. If your nitrates are near 0 you aren't providing your plants with what they need. What is your dosing schedule? What is your CO2 level? How bright is your light set? How often and how much water do you change? Have you ever done a water change? I'd be hesitant to take advice from someone that doesn't know what is going on in your tank now. Diagnosis without and examination is malpractice.

You really need to post all your parameters and dosing. Any environment where plants don't thrive is a good environment to grow algae and bacteria.
Doogy262 likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Strange thick coating on dwarf hair grass and water sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
I think you need to take a look at the overall picture. Why are your nitrates near 0? Plants need nitrates to grow. You need to provide the nutrients your plants need or algae and bacteria will take over. If your nitrates are near 0 you aren't providing your plants with what they need. What is your dosing schedule? What is your CO2 level? How bright is your light set? How often and how much water do you change? Have you ever done a water change? I'd be hesitant to take advice from someone that doesn't know what is going on in your tank now. Diagnosis without and examination is malpractice.

You really need to post all your parameters and dosing. Any environment where plants don't thrive is a good environment to grow algae and bacteria.

Thank you for the insight, especially as a new tank owner. I am dosing CO2, until the algae took over then I shut it down. Was running around 1 bubble every 3 seconds, but as far as the level I am not sure.

And I was under the impression my nitrates should be near 0, I was informed by an out of touch tank keeper then so Iíll look into bringing those levels up this week. Iíve attached some more pictures including my light schedule. Currently running 8 hours full spectrum and as far as water changes, not many. Usually just top offs.

I used chemiclean and it seems to be eliminating the algae, see grass picture. The reason itís cloudy is I just did a 20% water chsnge

Thanks again for your insight!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 12:54 AM
Wannabe Guru

Turning down your CO2 will typically cause more algae. I'd get the CO2 back on. Is that an active substrate? If so the plants are getting some of what they need from that. If not, you need to feed your plants. Most forum members add nitrates to their tanks.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Turning down your CO2 will typically cause more algae. I'd get the CO2 back on. Is that an active substrate? If so the plants are getting some of what they need from that. If not, you need to feed your plants. Most forum members add nitrates to their tanks.

Turned back on! And yes it is an active substrate. But Iím thinking of adding a bit of nitrates then because Iím not sure how great my substrate is, it was on the cheaper side.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 02:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Maybe it's lack of nitrates. Maybe it's excessive nitrates. Do you want to add something without knowing what the problem is? Did you cycle your tank? How do you expect to care for a box of water when you don't know anything about the water? You need to get a test kit, or at the very least take your water to and LFS for free testing.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Maybe it's lack of nitrates. Maybe it's excessive nitrates. Do you want to add something without knowing what the problem is? Did you cycle your tank? How do you expect to care for a box of water when you don't know anything about the water? You need to get a test kit, or at the very least take your water to and LFS for free testing.

I have test strips, just not digital. Thatís how I knew my water was at near 0 nitrates. Iím not sure if nitrates in the substrate are supposed to pick up on water tests or not and cannot find out with my research. A buddy of mine has a digital tester heís bringing this weekend. Yes I cycled.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode