Getting plants to thrive/killing algae (dosing with Excel/Thrive daily) - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
You increased ferts and things got worse, right? So go the other way. Fresh aquasoil doesnt need anything close to Thrive at the recommended dose, which is basically EI.

A low tech tank with fresh aquasoil definitely doesnt need that much. Half strength 2-3x week should be plenty, or if it gives a "low tech dose" do that.

Otherwise the problem is most likely a deficiency of light or co2.

Forget KH, that's the aquasoil doing its thing. GH, which is Ca and Mg, should be fine if 8.4 is correct

Double the Excel and make sure to dose it daily just prior to lights on
Rotala Rotundifolia doesn't like an overdose of Excel(maybe you need more than 2X dose(not sure) it leads to downturned small stunted new growth as well as white patches on the leaves. How many other plants don't like overdoses of Excel?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:56 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (118/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Rotala Rotundifolia doesn't like an overdose of Excel(maybe you need more than 2X dose(not sure) it leads to downturned small stunted new growth as well as white patches on the leaves. How many other plants don't like overdoses of Excel?
As someone who ran two 75s with med-high light, no CO2, dosing straight Metricide at 2.5x Excel dose, which is about 4x Excel, for over two years, I can say - not many.

Vals mainly, but they'll come back adjusted to it. Anacharis is supposed to not tolerate it. Dont think Rotalas should have any problems unless we're talking about a 10x dose to kill algae like some folks do. At least I never saw it personally
Greggz and Deanna like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I've been doing this for over 10 years and never saw any of the more common Rotala species sensitive to 2x excel treatments.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

@Asteroid @burr740 I've seen Excel be hard on my anubias plants. Only one survived, so I'm not sure if I overdosed Excel in general or if it was too much Thrive.

get out of my house
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 PM
Planted Tanker

It wasnt the Excel. This one of the aforementioned tanks getting roughly a 4x daily dose

Greggz likes this.

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Anubias are pretty tough. It would take an extreme overdose to melt those leaves.

post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:05 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Google informs me that anacharis is Swahili for anus... but I was going to say I've done single doses of roughly 2x metricide on plenty of low tech tanks with anarchis and it's never stopped it from growing like cancer. Though I will admit I never cared about how good the anarchis was looking in those tanks as long as it was green, so maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

Anubias does develop holes if you spot dose it with glut with the filters off... but I've also never had a problem dosing the water column with it in a tank either. Or rotundifolia for that matter...

I've never dosed it daily though if that matters.
burr740, varanidguy and tredford like this.
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:22 PM
Planted Tanker

Lol, get off my Anacharis already!
Greggz, varanidguy and tredford like this.

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 09:40 PM
Planted Member

See white splotches. Also see stems in the background new growth leaves curved downwards and small.

Spot dosed wood in the area (it didn't touch if it did they would melt badly), got the same thing from @Deanna Excel Bomb (1.5ml/Gallon).
No I haven't done 2 - 4X Excel dose whole tank for any extended period of time.

Tags
algae control, decaying, healthy plants, nano aquarium, plant advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode