Uv to reduce green water - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kgbudge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Uv to reduce green water

Hello, 20 gallon tank, tall hex, lots of Anubias, java moss, Marimo. 78 degrees , 1 dwarf gourami, 5 platies. Green water on and off. Want it gone. Do I need a uv sterilizing filter like the killing machine? Or could I just run a Uv stick on light bar from eBay / amazon? I don’t mess around with the algaesides , dangerous stuff! Tank is cycled , good readings, just having some issues with algae blooms . Cheers!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Algae Grower

UV needs to be shielded so it doesn't blind anyone or anything.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:31 PM
Planted Member

A UV sterilizing filter will work, I've done it, but I must say having gone through both that and the "wait and see" approach, I'd opt for waiting instead of intervening. I went through a seemingly endless period of greenwater on my 10 gallon tanks last summer, I couldn't believe how quickly the water would turn murky and green even after a 90% water change. I just stayed diligent and eventually the greenwater resolved itself and *this is key* has never returned. Nor have other algae issues. This is why I think waiting through it is best, even though I know how unsatisfying it is to look at. I believe it is better for the tank to reach its own equilibrium if possible because if you are treating or intervening there's always a chance you're going to knock something else out of whack and just have a constant battle with the various things that can show up in your tank.

My other issue with the UV sterilizing filters that I bought is that they are loud and pretty big (and yes I bought 2 sizes of the name brand Green Killing Machines). I don't have anything against the technology really, and I think UV sterilization is better than a lot of other options. So if you do want to try it go ahead, it's not likely to hurt anything.

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

I had a lack of patience with green water and after constant water changing I ended up getting the green killing machine. It worked well. They’re super cheap in comparison to in line units and it reflects a little in the product. One dead pump out of the box but the company took care of it.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

thank you, machine is great!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 06:09 PM
Algae Grower

I've not seen a lot written about this ... but greenwater algae have predators. These include large ciliates like Paramecia. These will feast on the algae and may explain why green water often disappears on its own: The paramecia population has multiplied enough to control it. UV sterilization works against this, rather like how overuse of pesticides can backfire by killing the spiders that feed on pest insects. It's something I'd like to learn more about.
babystarz likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 08:50 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgbudge View Post
I've not seen a lot written about this ... but greenwater algae have predators. These include large ciliates like Paramecia. These will feast on the algae and may explain why green water often disappears on its own: The paramecia population has multiplied enough to control it. UV sterilization works against this, rather like how overuse of pesticides can backfire by killing the spiders that feed on pest insects. It's something I'd like to learn more about.
Thanks for the info, this is very interesting (and similar to issues we're finding with antibiotics - killing the beneficial stuff along with pathogens).

¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 03:54 PM

Lightbulb

Best thing you can get against the green water - daphnias. There is pretty large species - Daphnia magna, which small aquarium fish can't eat. These crustaceans will clean your tank in day or two in natural way.
Photos with two days difference:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4044_01.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	879969  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP4061_01.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	299.8 KB
ID:	879971  

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
It's probably better the tackle the issue of WHY you have green water. Does the tank get direct sunlight at any time during the day? For how long? What is you lighting solution and how long is it on per day. What substrate are you using? Any fertilizers?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode