Is this blue-green algae? pls help. - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this blue-green algae? pls help.

Hello.

In the last week, this moster started to grow in my aquarium.

Is this blue-green algae? It peels of rather easily from the plants and glass...most of it though is growing on the substrate , covering my newly planted pussila . I can't remove it from there since it is attached to the grains of gravel and also uproots my grass.

Any tip on how to best eradicate it? It's a 16 l nano, lots of plants,I inject co2, I dose denerle NPK and also trace elements from another brand. Light is on 8 hr/day , 5 w Led , 10000 k .

https://imgur.com/ZcdGTMM
https://imgur.com/HYnj1ar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:13 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
yep, it's bga. i've used ultra life reef products' blue-green slime stain remover. don't worry, it's for freshwater. works well. check out dennis wong's site, it's the best resource for planted tank enthusiasts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 11:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I can only go from personal experience, as there are many views on BGA treatments. In my own tank, I used hydrogen peroxide (3% strength, standard pharmacy bottle), and used a syringe to spot treat the affected areas. Here are the steps I used:
1) Physically remove what you can. Try to avoid losing any BGA debris in the water column, as it will settle elsewhere in your tank and start a problem there.
2) Shut off filtration and any flow inducing devices. Wait 10 minutes to let currents settle.
3) Using a syringe, gently, without making too many waves or currents, spray BGA affected areas with H2O2. It will start to bubble, this is normal.
4) Leave the tank alone for 20 minutes.
5) Start your equipment back up or do another water change. Byproducts are (I believe) oxygen and water. I still wouldn't spray it in a fish's face though...

I didn't bother with a water change, no adverse effects. Should also note that there is an upper limit to how much H2O2 you spot dose with. I've read 1ml/gallon. I have a 75 gal and never used more than 30mls at a time.

That's it. Might have to repeat a couple of times (never more than once a day, I went every other day). It's been a success so far. I know your tank is smaller, so keep the dose low at first. Hope this helps.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode