• 1 Post By CRS Fan
  • 2 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By Greggz

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
my algae is doing great

I have algae in my tank and its thriving.... it's starting to look pretty lol... what's the name of it and your best tip on fighting it?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

Not sure what type, but the tank looks a little dirty.

First step should be ripping out all of it, shaking up the substate and leaves with the filter off and doing a water change.

Normal next steps is measuring your nitrate, phosphate, ph, kh, co2 and lighting twice a day for a week.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

my algae is doing great

It is cyanobacteria. I would try to siphon as much as you can out. Maintain a regular water change regime (75-70% now and then at least 50% weekly thereafter). I would also clean filters and increase the tank circulation as well. If you can, also filter with Purigen (this will diminish your organic bioload).

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
swarley likes this.

Tankful in Vancouver

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your title was catchy and made me chuckle. "My algae is doing great"~ the opposite of "Help! Algae is ruining my life" ~ lol!

It is kinda pretty, you know

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
If you really want help, you should list as much information as possible about the tank.

Good advice above about getting the tank cleaned up and uber clean, which will surely help.

But considering the tank in it's entirety is the best way to develop a plan to avoid it in the future.
swarley likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
------------------
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS Fan View Post
It is cyanobacteria. I would try to siphon as much as you can out. Maintain a regular water change regime (75-70% now and then at least 50% weekly thereafter). I would also clean filters and increase the tank circulation as well. If you can, also filter with Purigen (this will diminish your organic bioload).

Best regards,

Stuart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I ordered new filters the other day, I hoping that help... i have slacked on the water changes with work and busy schedule... the tank used to look great but when I moved it to my new place, I've had the worst luck getting the ech system established again.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

guys, I've replaced and changed alot of things.... but I think the best thing so far has been a black out..... I decided to turn the lights off for 3 days and turning back on, my plants are lessed cover in algae, the gravel too... gonna leave the light on tonight and do another 3 day black out.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkkiwi1230 View Post
I ordered new filters the other day, I hoping that help... i have slacked on the water changes with work and busy schedule... the tank used to look great but when I moved it to my new place, I've had the worst luck getting the ech system established again.

If you had issues after you moved- I would check the paramenters of the water coming from the tap... it may have swings due to kh/gh/ph/chlorine, etc. I would:
  • test the tap water, then test the tank water
  • clean the tank, big water changes.
  • Then put everything back (including the filter)

If blackouts work, that means there is an imbalance someplace. I never recommend 'replacing the filter' as you did create good bacteria there, starting over can be difficult (instead just try rinsing the filter in your own tank water in a bucket).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode