Brown algae for Months - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
SuperfishySteve, what is the gallons/liters of your aquarium?
what are your water parameters?
how often do you clean your tank and the amount of water change?
when you say green algae, what kine is it? gsa, gda, etc.?

I've read of others that do that, lol, algae competing against algae
if you were to clean up and defeat the green algae would the diatoms come back?

Started out, thinking it's a 5gal. tank chore for my grandkid want, now, it's turned into a expensive hobby that I've got only myself to blame fer.

Last edited by Pocho; 03-14-2019 at 09:59 PM. Reason: added wording
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:15 AM
Algae Grower

It's a 30 us gallon. I believe the green algae to be green dust algae as its only on the glass. I scraped off a section of the back glass which I have left to do it's own thing and neither brown or green algae has returned in that spot... Yet lol. I still clean the tank often via water changes and syphon up some of the poop, but I don't stir the substrate or clean the rocks, plants, back glass...
I noticed the fast growing plants were the first to overcome the algae issue whereas the rooted slow growing plants took slightly longer.
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:02 PM
Algae Grower

I would just throw a couple amano shrimp in TBH
Pocho likes this.

post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 04:17 AM
Algae Grower

an update
I think it's been just over a month since the end of my "diatom/brown algae "bloom" problem. I still have a bit of diatoms but it's not "blooming". I doing 20%(1gal.) water changes every 3-4 days since then. For the most part the diatom/brown algae seems to be waning a bit, less of it. I think vacuuming the substrate well helped but stirring all that up may have cause bba/bga in which I've rid of so far. I do have a little of green algae, on a couple rocks and glass though.
For my 5gal. tank I've been dosing .5ml Excel daily and dosing at wc's .125ml Thrive/.5ml Jungle StartRight, I've also used Phosguard in which I felt did not help much with the brown algae if at all. I've started to use and dosed twice the past week and a half Seachem Pristine, don't know for sure but it does seem to keep my water cleaner and less brown algae build up on gravel, but idk.

A little history of my diatoms "bloom", light or lack of did not stop it from blooming. As of recently, I've toned down my lighting quite a bit and shortened the hours and directed it to a portion of my substrate. I believe the diatoms grows with light more so than without it. The diatoms/brown algae today grows on my substrate where the light shines the most and not so much where the light is not directed at. oh well.

maybe my prior diligence of cleaning the substrate well getting the majority of the detritus/mulm, now my timely wc's and I believe the start of using Pristine has helped lessen it a bit more.

Maybe Pristine helps some, on the 4th day, the day of a wc the water is clear but the brown algae/diatom is still visible but it's NOT a bloom and just where my lights shines the most.

ammonia/nitrite 0's; Nitrate 10-20ppm; ph 7.8; phosphate ~0-0.5ppm; kh 4 gh 5

Started out, thinking it's a 5gal. tank chore for my grandkid want, now, it's turned into a expensive hobby that I've got only myself to blame fer.

Last edited by Pocho; 04-10-2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: wording

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode