Help with Cyanobacteria aka BGA - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help with Cyanobacteria aka BGA

Hello, first time poster here. I am more active on the planted tank subreddit but sometimes my more in depth questions get mulled over and this forum has helped me loads more in that sense.

To be brief, my tank is experiencing a huge BGA problem. What was once a few treatable spots of BGA has become a very noticeable blanket over most of my plants. I have found that the two most notable causes of BGA are 1) poor flow throughout the tank and 2) low NO3- levels. My tank has neither of these conditions--the most turbulent region in the tank is afflicted with the same amount if not more BGA than the rest of my tank. The specs of my tank are as follows:

Fluval Spec V
Finnex Planted + LED (6hr photo period)
Pressurized CO2
pH ~7.0
NO3- 10-20ppm
NH3 0ppm
NO2- 0ppm
GH 6 dGH
KH 5 dKH

What do you guys think?

Last edited by mattkimsuh; 12-31-2018 at 05:09 AM. Reason: format error
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 01:58 PM
EKS
Algae Grower

BGA starts in your soil usually because there is to much light hitting the soil. best way to get rid of it is to remove as much as possible manually and then black out the tank for 72 hrs. No peaking! make sure there are enough plants and you use a good fertilizer to stimulate plant growth and do regular maintenance on the tank with weekly water changes.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 02:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Once it's got hold, you need to kill it first then work on the original issue. For that you want to manually remove as much as possible and do a water change, then completely blackout the tank for 5 days - that means no lights on and tape paper over the sides to prevent ambient light. When you uncover it, you'll need to do another water change but fingers crossed it should be gone.

If your nutrients, cleaning and flow are good, too much light might have been your original issue - when you turn them back on I'd try lowering the brightness.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 01:55 AM
Algae Grower

I had a nightmare with this a few months back. I had tried everything and it still came back!

The only thing that worked for me was ultralife blue green slime stain remover, it was almost gone within 24 hours and 6 months later it seems to be gone for good, the tank it was in is next to a window so now we keep one of the blinds closed all the time to avoid the morning sunlight that we get. I’d highly recommend it , had to buy it online.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin View Post
Once it's got hold, you need to kill it first then work on the original issue. For that you want to manually remove as much as possible and do a water change, then completely blackout the tank for 5 days - that means no lights on and tape paper over the sides to prevent ambient light. When you uncover it, you'll need to do another water change but fingers crossed it should be gone.

If your nutrients, cleaning and flow are good, too much light might have been your original issue - when you turn them back on I'd try lowering the brightness.
Lol turns out I’ve posted four times prior? Whoops. Will blacking out my tank for five days harm the fish in any way?
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkimsuh View Post
Lol turns out Iíve posted four times prior? Whoops. Will blacking out my tank for five days harm the fish in any way?

Nope, but it's important to remove as much as you can before hand so you don't have it decomposing in the water. Running an airline is a good precaution too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode