Questions regarding the H2O2 dip - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions regarding the H2O2 dip

Based on previous threads, I have seen that many of you have successfully eradicated stubborn algae through spot dosing with excel/H2O2 as well as adding various concentrations of such treatments through the water column. I have not, however, come across a lot of information with regard to dipping heavily infested plants into H2O2 alone. There is no way for a newbie like myself to properly gauge the range of sensitivities experienced by different species without damaging my plants; which is why I defer to your good judgement (I have a a 5 gal so I do not have many plants to spare). This is my second post here, and I have to say I really appreciate all the helpful information you all have provided--especially those substantiated by science! So:

What is the minimum amount of time that I can subject my plants to a 3% dip (topical H2O2 purchased at CVS) without damaging any plant tissue?
What is the best method in regards to removing cladophora and BBA type algae from the aquarium?

Last edited by mattkimsuh; 07-24-2018 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 08:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
MAXIMUM time you can expose the plant to H2O2 is going to depend on the plant, and whether you're using the H2O2 3% without further dilution. What plants are you needing to dip? Also, how bad is the algae? When leaves become covered in BBA, it's better to just remove that leaf vs. treat.
Best method for removing algae is going to depend on your tank specifically because there can be several causes for both of these algae. BBA can be cause by excessive flow, too little flow, inadequate CO2 and excessive organic material. Hair algae can be caused by excessive light, excessive organics in the water, an imbalance in ferts...No blanket answers when it comes to algae. We'd need a lot more info on your tank.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-24-2018, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
MAXIMUM time you can expose the plant to H2O2 is going to depend on the plant, and whether you're using the H2O2 3% without further dilution. What plants are you needing to dip? Also, how bad is the algae? When leaves become covered in BBA, it's better to just remove that leaf vs. treat.
Best method for removing algae is going to depend on your tank specifically because there can be several causes for both of these algae. BBA can be cause by excessive flow, too little flow, inadequate CO2 and excessive organic material. Hair algae can be caused by excessive light, excessive organics in the water, an imbalance in ferts...No blanket answers when it comes to algae. We'd need a lot more info on your tank.
I have a Fluval Spec V with a 16 in Finnex Fugeray Planted+. My water parameters are as follows:
pH=7.6
GH=6
KH=4
CO2=?

I also measured my NO3 to be around 20ppm (all of these measured using the API master test kit), which is surprising considering I just did a 40% WC earlier today. All of my slow growers including AR mini, buce, s repens, and mermaidweed have their older leaves covered in a BBA variant. Been trying to adjust CO2 accordingly--plants are pearling fine and livestock is unaffected, which means I should probably continue to up the bubble count?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattkimsuh View Post
I have a Fluval Spec V with a 16 in Finnex Fugeray Planted+. My water parameters are as follows:
pH=7.6
GH=6
KH=4
CO2=?

I also measured my NO3 to be around 20ppm (all of these measured using the API master test kit), which is surprising considering I just did a 40% WC earlier today. All of my slow growers including AR mini, buce, s repens, and mermaidweed have their older leaves covered in a BBA variant. Been trying to adjust CO2 accordingly--plants are pearling fine and livestock is unaffected, which means I should probably continue to up the bubble count?
Is your pH at 7.6 after CO2 has been running for a while? If so, you're not getting anywhere near proper saturation. My GH and KH are the same as yours, I push my pH down to 6.4-6.5 with CO2.
How many hours/day are you running your light?
NO3 at 20 ppm is fine, I dose my tanks into the 30-40 ppm range, 5+ ppm PO4.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2018, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeorges View Post
Is your pH at 7.6 after CO2 has been running for a while? If so, you're not getting anywhere near proper saturation. My GH and KH are the same as yours, I push my pH down to 6.4-6.5 with CO2.
How many hours/day are you running your light?
NO3 at 20 ppm is fine, I dose my tanks into the 30-40 ppm range, 5+ ppm PO4.
My pH=7.6 prior to CO2 injection, and ~6.6 2 hours after injection. Yeah, I have found that a pH drop of about 1 point is equivalent to 30ppm of CO2 based on a few articles and forums. Because of my algae issues, my photoperiod does not exceed 6 hours. It may also be helpful to know that my CO2 turns on about an hour prior to lights on and shuts off 30 minutes before lights out.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode