Is this Rhizoclonium? And what do I do? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is this Rhizoclonium? And what do I do?

Ok so I can not figure out how to post the pictures I will try to describe it. It is growing on my plants at the top of the water. It is light brown and stringy and flowy. It is really slimly when you take it out. What I can find that looks close is Rhizoclonium on the James planted tank algae guide. It says that it is caused by low co2, poor flow and a lack of maintnace. I am pretty sure that my co2 is good, it is going at about 2-3 bps and the drop checker is very yellow. As far as flow I have the 2217 spray bar on the rt side going left and the c220 return on the left at about 45deg. going front/right and the algae seems to be flowing pretty well in the current so... As for maintance I do regular water changes and every thing looks great in the tank and none of the fish seem to be having problems.

This is a 75 with 5 Discus, 12 lemon tetras, 1 rummy nose, 5 corries and 2 bn plecos. It has been set up for just over 6 mts.

I tested every thing that I can test and the ph is about 6.4 (and we have REALLY hard water), ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is about 40ppm.

I noticed it about 2 months ago. It sucks right out when I change water but comes back in about a week. What can I do to get rid of it? If someone can explaine how to post pics I have some but it wants an address and they are on the computer not the web so I do not know what to do. Sorry for the length but I wanted to give as much information as I could.

Thank you for any help you can give to help me git rid of this junk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K Anderson View Post
Ok so I can not figure out how to post the pictures I will try to describe it. It is growing on my plants at the top of the water. It is light brown and stringy and flowy. It is really slimly when you take it out. What I can find that looks close is Rhizoclonium on the James planted tank algae guide. It says that it is caused by low co2, poor flow and a lack of maintnace. I am pretty sure that my co2 is good, it is going at about 2-3 bps and the drop checker is very yellow. As far as flow I have the 2217 spray bar on the rt side going left and the c220 return on the left at about 45deg. going front/right and the algae seems to be flowing pretty well in the current so... As for maintance I do regular water changes and every thing looks great in the tank and none of the fish seem to be having problems.

This is a 75 with 5 Discus, 12 lemon tetras, 1 rummy nose, 5 corries and 2 bn plecos. It has been set up for just over 6 mts.

I tested every thing that I can test and the ph is about 6.4 (and we have REALLY hard water), ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0, and nitrate is about 40ppm.

I noticed it about 2 months ago. It sucks right out when I change water but comes back in about a week. What can I do to get rid of it? If someone can explaine how to post pics I have some but it wants an address and they are on the computer not the web so I do not know what to do. Sorry for the length but I wanted to give as much information as I could.

Thank you for any help you can give to help me git rid of this junk
Go down to where it says : "Manage Attachments" Then go to: "Browse"
Then look for your pic an hit "upload" When it finish that's it

I'm having the same problem so I will be keep an eye on you tread mine is more sand brown color that started on the gravel

Last edited by inkslinger; 04-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 02:55 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the help. Here are the pictures, I hope.
Attached Images

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Planted Member

This is what I have been fighting with and I havent been able get much info. I think I have had every type of tank there is to have in the past 30 years and I have never seen this stuff.

My setup is about the same except my water is very soft. I almost ODed my fish on CO2 and if I had any more water movement, things would start getting blown out of the tank.

I am doing 3 20% water changes a week with RO water and tried 2 blackouts. Excel has not excelled.

Twirling a toothbrush around it is a joke because it just falls apart. The only removal method that seems to work is to work it free and then quickly vacuum it up before it floats away and attaches to something else.

Amano Shrimp and SAE seem to ignore it but it wouldn't mater because they couldn't make a dent in it anyway.

Only thing different in this tank from the others (that I can think of) is the aquariumplants.com substrate and fert pellets. It does have higher light, but CO2 to match.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
I can't offer a positive ID or definite treatment advice, but I have seen that algae. There's a LFS here with tanks overrun with the stuff.

The interesting thing is that those tanks are simultaneously overrun with BGA.

BGA thrives with low oxygen and high organic wastes. So maybe your mystery algae does, too.

All the pictures in this thread appear to be from tanks lightly planted with slow growers, which supports the possibility of low oxygen/high organic waste conditions.

The lack of BGA in your tanks doesn't mean these conditions don't exist. BGA doesn't just spontaneously appear, it must be introduced. Once you have it, it can be eliminated completely; never to appear again until reintroduced, even if conditions are perfect.

So if I were faced with this, here's what I'd try first:

1) Pack the tank with fast growing plants. Water wisteria is my "disposable" filler plant of choice; it's cheap, readily available, and can grow incredibly fast. Furthermore, it's tolerant of Excel overdoses, H2O2, and rough handling; all of which might occur while you're trying to deal with the algae.

2) Since complete mechanical removal of this algae appears impossible, try Excel or H2O2 spot treatments, rather than whole tank treatments. That delivers a more concentrated dose to the algae without overwhelming the tank as a whole. For H2O2, use 1 tbsp. per 10g daily, applied with a syringe while the filters are off. Work up to 2 tbsp. if there aren't any problems observed with plants or fish after a few days. This is not a replacement for #1 and will probably never rid your tank of this algae alone; it's just a tool to keep the algae down while the extra plants grow in.

3) Stay on a normal water change schedule. I've seen some good evidence that excess silicates (possibly from your water supply), and excess phosphates only in the form of phosphoric acid (found in some water conditioners), can contribute to some freakish algae outbreaks.

Good luck, I'll keep watching for any progress.
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 07:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Brown algae or diatoms

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/al...m-id-pics.html

Young Rosy Barbs work wonders. Mollies/live-bearers too. You need enough to eat it faster than it spreads.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks DarkCobra for the suggestions. I started out with some pretty quick growing plants that were doing well but several have since died back. All of my LFS seem to be slacking off on their plant supply but I will keep going back untill I find enough plants to make a jungle.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Planted Member

I have always accepted Brown Algae as just a step in the Aquarium setup process. Not saying its not Brown Algae, but I have never seen it take this form or be this aggressive.

My tank is about 60% stocked with plants that have established themselves. It was more, but the algae was so bad on some I tossed them out.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Anderson View Post
All of my LFS seem to be slacking off on their plant supply but I will keep going back untill I find enough plants to make a jungle.
Try checking (or posting a WTB) on the "Swap n Shop" forum here instead, if getting plants shipped to you is an option. I'm sure someone has a load of aquatic weeds they're willing to part with.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral13 View Post
My tank is about 60% stocked with plants that have established themselves. It was more, but the algae was so bad on some I tossed them out.
What kind of plants did you have when this algae established itself?
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post
What kind of plants did you have when this algae established itself?
My custom scape order didn't make it so I filled the tank with whatI had in my old tank and then went out and bought what I could at LFS. Most of these plants are place holders.

Most of it is Wisteria
Unidentified Brown Crypts
One unidentified stem plant
Anachiris
Rotola
Micro Sword
Petite Nana
Java Ferns
Amazon Swords

There are also terrestrial plants that feed from the water column that are in planters at the top. Im probably forgetting a few.

Everything is or was thriving, but I had to remove some Anachhiris and all moss because it was collecting the most algae.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by feral13 View Post
Everything is or was thriving, but I had to remove some Anachhiris and all moss because it was collecting the most algae.
Sounds like neither low oxygen/high organics apply for you.

Is your algae growing on the substrate or just the plants?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Planted Member

Plant and driftwood only. Nothing on glass or substrate.

I just took these when I got home. I spent almost 3 hours weeding this junk out last night and this is what I come home to.

post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 02:17 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCobra View Post

BGA thrives with low oxygen and high organic wastes. So maybe your mystery algae does, too.

All the pictures in this thread appear to be from tanks lightly planted with slow growers, which supports the possibility of low oxygen/high organic waste conditions.

The lack of BGA in your tanks doesn't mean these conditions don't exist. BGA doesn't just spontaneously appear, it must be introduced. Once you have it, it can be eliminated completely; never to appear again until reintroduced, even if conditions are perfect..
I don't think this came from low oxygen? I have a 1100gph pump with a Mazzie, When I'm not pumping co2 in at night I got a lot of flow movement in my tank.
Will it looks to me that my algae battle is over now , My Dc is still the same transparent blue,I added more Fe, an I have 2 pair's of t5 54w 6hr's a day , I'm also keeping my co2 bubble count to 3bps, I don't know if my Nu-Clear 547 cycle that did it or my other settings but gravel has been clean of algae since last week tooth brush cleaning .
My sword and 5 stem plants are growing bigger now , I still need to add more.
I don't think this came from low oxygen I have a 1100gph pump with a Mazzie when I'm not pumping co2 in at night I got a lot of flow movement in my tank for a 60x18x24 tank.
My algae started in the center on the gravel not on plants or glass , Toward the end of the algae cycle it spread more to left side of my tank where I have 4 small plants, On the other side it did not reach I have a large sword and 5 stems growing real good. I still need to add a lot more plants in my tank.
IMO: My BIO Filter was not cycle yet and low on ferts , The only test kit I have is for KH, an PH , I do need to get PO4 , an KNO3 test kits
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 01-12-2011, 08:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to happi
i been dealing with same algae, but i think it mostly occurs in new setups, especially if you added new substrate. no EI dosing and no co2 seems to be helping to battle this algae, i don't think flow is any issue either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode