Hair Algae Consuming Moss / HC, advice? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 03:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coronarex View Post
I had hair algae really bad until I nuked my tank with 50/50 excel/hydrogren peroxide. Killed every single fish except one platy and one amano shrimp and 70% of my plants. Hair algae GONE!!! and I had that [censored] everywhere. it was on the pumps, heater, and all my plants. It literally killed me to see it in my tank. Fastforward 3 months later and I do have a few specs that are the size of the tip of a pencil, cant see them. I directly pipette those spots with excel. Just sharing my exp. Hate algae!!!
So I'm assuming you didn't do the modified one-two punch method? That too uses both of those chemicals but in somewhat safe levels. All my snails, amanos and fish survived the one-two punch but the hair algae was the only victim it claimed. BBA and rhizoclonium also survived that one time treatment. I probably wouldn't do it again. There are other ways of dealing with this stuff. It may require removing my shrimps, but still better than fighting a losing battle with potentially dangerous chemicals that are only somewhat effective. Hindsight is always 20/20.
coronarex and coronarex like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 11:44 PM
Algae Grower

Yes, I got rid of the hair algae. Of course it killed me to see it, it looked like crap. But it was mostly due to my carelessness. I have been in this hobby for a little over a year. I have learned a lot on here but ive learned a ton from my mistakes. Tank is looking awesome ATM, figures crossed.

Bump: I agree totally. I will proceed with caution in the future. What other methods have you tried? I have a 10 gallon nano(low tech) that sits right next to a window, that is bulletproof. Never had any algae whatsoever(running for over a year). Recently, I have noticed small, pencil tip blobs of BBA.

"My fish tank dope AF"
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
The key is finding the right amount to do the job as a function of the biomass and to do it once a week ONLY until the hair algae no longer returns (via recovery of the plant balance)... Since plants love glut, they will consume a lot of the dose within a few hours, thus the need to find the optimal level to kill the hair algae over a ~6-hour period.
You mention biomass as a factor for how much glut ends up being needed. Have you noticed any impact to the glut levels needed when there's pressurized CO2 being injected vs not injected?

Also, when you're in the "figuring things out" stage of adding more and more glut weekly, is there any change needed to one's water change schedule to "reset" conditions before increasing the glut dose?

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 05:25 PM
Algae Grower

For green hair/fuzz algae, it loves high tds from organics in the water column, I defeated it by feeding less and removing it while running a UVC filter to kill the spores. Took me forever to figure it out, took months and many forum posts. I used to just limit light to fight it, but it still came back.

For me, having decent fert levels didnt help at all.

However in your situation you need to find out how to kill it without killing your plants. That's going to be tricky.

That's just my nasty experience with it.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2020, 02:53 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deanna View Post
This treatment may kill your moss, but the once-per-week treatment I have found to not harm plants normally killed by Excel. I suggest starting at 1.5 ml of Excel per actual gallon (not tank rated gallons) and increase it by 1 ml / gal each week until all the hair algae responds.
I just got through my first week using the above method. My modifications included:

1. I started at 1 ml / gallon. My wife's favourite fish is in the tank so I had to be extra careful :-)
2. I also pulled some water out first and had it in a bucket in case I saw any fish in distress. It turned out to not be needed.
3. I didn't dose the entire amount in one shot. Instead I put in 5ml at a time using a pump to spread it around the tank. I waited a few minutes in between each batch to see if any fish showed distress. No distress.

Much of the BBA turned red two days after the treatment. It took a few more days for the BBA to actually disappear from the wood. I'm now in a holding pattern to see what BBA survives before considering another dose.

Otos, angels, SAE, red-lizard whiptail, and pseudomugils were all fine. Mystery snails also seemed fine. I can't tell if all assassin snails made it as I have too many to count, but I didn't see any empty shells.

I have a large assortment of plants and the only one that seems to have taken a hit is the water sprite. It didn't die, but a lot of yellowing leaves so some cleanup will be in order. I don't have any moss to comment on.

I can't believe it's taken me 3 years to find this approach, but I'm glad I did. Thanks @Deanna!
Deanna likes this.
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 01:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by infolific View Post
You mention biomass as a factor for how much glut ends up being needed. Have you noticed any impact to the glut levels needed when there's pressurized CO2 being injected vs not injected?

Also, when you're in the "figuring things out" stage of adding more and more glut weekly, is there any change needed to one's water change schedule to "reset" conditions before increasing the glut dose?
CO2 levels make no difference (mine are in the 40ppm area). The important thing to keep an eye on are O2 levels. Glut is a reducing agent, so keep pumps pointed at the surface for good rippling, which maximizes O2 exchange.

It's a one-day treatment. The glut will be gone within a day, so water changes won't impact it, provided you don't do w/c's within a day of dosing.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode