Acceptable Algae - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By Remmy
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Dfish2020's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Acceptable Algae

Just curious if any of you have algae in your tanks that you purposely leave in there because you like the way it looks or leave due to its benefits out weighing it's cons.

If so what type of algae is it and pictures would be pretty cool!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Dfish2020 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:09 PM
Wannabe Guru
 
PTrader: (30/100%)
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 1,278
On a goldfish website I'm on, I remember several members who allowed a lush, thick carpet of green algae to grow on the back wall of their aquarium. They left it there for their goldfish to snack on (as algae is a great food for goldfish, and grows fast) and for it's water cleaning properties. However they kept the sides and front of the aquarium scraped clean. From what I remember, they only had a few other smooth rocks as décor, with no other plants or items in the tank.

As for other algae ideas, you might find these two threads of interest:
Aquascaping With Algae: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ing-algae.html
Algae Can Be Pretty: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23...an-pretty.html

Dfish2020, do you have any interesting algae growth going on?



.

I Want A Golden Goose!
Acro is offline  
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfish2020 View Post
Just curious if any of you have algae in your tanks that you purposely leave in there because you like the way it looks or leave due to its benefits out weighing it's cons.

If so what type of algae is it and pictures would be pretty cool!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk
Many, approximately two-thirds of algae produce alleochemicals designed to compete with, or inhibit growth of other algae and protect its self from protozoa. These chemicals often inhibit plant growth both directly and indirectly through a combination of chemicals. The reverse is also true.

There's too much to know and too much research that needs to be done to know if your specific algae is going to affect your specific plants. Not many algae have the ability to actually kill plants, so if you like the look of it then you should go for it. Just remember that if you suddenly start having trouble with your plants, the algae may be the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
wendellperkins is offline  
 
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Dfish2020's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acro View Post
On a goldfish website I'm on, I remember several members who allowed a lush, thick carpet of green algae to grow on the back wall of their aquarium. They left it there for their goldfish to snack on (as algae is a great food for goldfish, and grows fast) and for it's water cleaning properties. However they kept the sides and front of the aquarium scraped clean. From what I remember, they only had a few other smooth rocks as décor, with no other plants or items in the tank.

As for other algae ideas, you might find these two threads of interest:
Aquascaping With Algae: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12...ing-algae.html
Algae Can Be Pretty: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/23...an-pretty.html

Dfish2020, do you have any interesting algae growth going on?



.
Yea keep a portion for my shrimp to graze on, trim it back every so often to maintain control over it. They are always picking threw it..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dfish2020 is offline  
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 01:22 PM
Planted Member
 
Remmy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 204
GDA on dark rocks looks great


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Remmy is offline  
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Dfish2020's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendellperkins View Post
Many, approximately two-thirds of algae produce alleochemicals designed to compete with, or inhibit growth of other algae and protect its self from protozoa. These chemicals often inhibit plant growth both directly and indirectly through a combination of chemicals. The reverse is also true.

There's too much to know and too much research that needs to be done to know if your specific algae is going to affect your specific plants. Not many algae have the ability to actually kill plants, so if you like the look of it then you should go for it. Just remember that if you suddenly start having trouble with your plants, the algae may be the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
As of now all plants are fine, I do keep the portion maintained only for the shrimp, they really seem to love that patch not sure what type of algae it is, looks like a golden stringy hair type? I was way over dosing ferts in the begging I had the wrong
dosage selected on rotala butterfly was doing ei instead of ei daily.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dfish2020 is offline  
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 05:37 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
fablau's Avatar
 
PTrader: (7/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Laguna Niguel, CA
Posts: 630
If you are growing plants well, it's hard to grow algae at the same time. I have seen tanks with just algae inside, and some of them were not bad to look at. I am sorry I don't have any pics on this...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fablau is offline  
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 12:47 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by fablau View Post
If you are growing plants well, it's hard to grow algae at the same time. I have seen tanks with just algae inside, and some of them were not bad to look at. I am sorry I don't have any pics on this...
As a general rule I agree with you, but to me it really depends what your growing and your hardscape. You could have very healthy fast growing stems without algae, but have algae all over the hardscape where organic content is high. This could be anything from BBA to GDA. I do agree that GDA is one of the few alga that can actually look good on the hardscape.
houseofcards is offline  
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Dfish2020's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
As a general rule I agree with you, but to me it really depends what your growing and your hardscape. You could have very healthy fast growing stems without algae, but have algae all over the hardscape where organic content is high. This could be anything from BBA to GDA. I do agree that GDA is one of the few alga that can actually look good on the hardscape.
Agree with this, seems driftwood is the generator..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dfish2020 is offline  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:13 PM
Banned
 
PTrader: (73/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 5,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfish2020 View Post
Agree with this, seems driftwood is the generator..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yep, DW is a really good 'incubator' for it. With all the pores, etc a lot of organic matter accumulates. Rocks as well. Here's an old tank of mine and you could see the green algae growing on the rocks closest to the light while the plants are clean.

houseofcards is offline  
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Dfish2020's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Yep, DW is a really good 'incubator' for it. With all the pores, etc a lot of organic matter accumulates. Rocks as well. Here's an old tank of mine and you could see the green algae growing on the rocks closest to the light while the plants are clean.

That green algae looks stunning on the rocks ! Such a natural look..

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dfish2020 is offline  
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Planted Member
 
Rnasty's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 218
I don't have pictures but I leave some BBA on my rocks.

1. Because it's hard to clean and my LFS doesn't stock anything that will eat it. My tank is also 3.5g so anything big enough to eat it is too large for the tank.

2. When the plants are grown in it gives a more natural look overall to the tank

3. It helps outcompete the other algae/cyanobacteria I am battling. I also leave all algae on the back wall like previous posts said for the same reason.

4. It's only growing on my rocks and nowhere else in the tank. If I see algae on my plants I remove it
Rnasty is offline  
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 11:01 AM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Southern Utah
Posts: 17
I really like this wispy green hair algae (Cladophora?) on my driftwood. It does like to grow stringy extensions I have to trim every now and then though.

mmoncur is offline  
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM
Planted Member
 
Remmy's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 204
My shrimp tank has some good green slightly fussy growth on the rocks, good for the little guys

https://youtu.be/_4pDht0iqMY


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Remmy is offline  
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower
 
Dfish2020's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmy View Post
My shrimp tank has some good green slightly fussy growth on the rocks, good for the little guys

https://youtu.be/_4pDht0iqMY
Some healthy looking shrimp too !

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Dfish2020 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome