Do I have an Algae problem? Algae taking up 50% of my 75 gallon tank. How do I fix? - The Planted Tank Forum
View Poll Results: Do I have an algae problem ?
Yes, of course you do, are you kidding me? 12 92.31%
No, that is normal. 1 7.69%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Do I have an Algae problem? Algae taking up 50% of my 75 gallon tank. How do I fix?

Do I have an Algae problem? Algae taking up 50% of my 75 gallon tank. Some of the fish get stuck in it or are squished against the side of the aquarium.

I basically went on a vacation for a month and used an autofeeder, put the light on a timer and came back to this!!

Should I use an algae control chemical product? This is with a UV sterilizer on my filter.

Maybe turn off the light and tape blackout plastic on the sides?

Any suggestions, it has probably taken over 50% of the 75 gallon tank.

I feel that it has gotten out of control and need some drastic change.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06362.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	614049  

Name:	DSC06365.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	614057  

Name:	DSC06371.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	614065  

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
29 gallon Gold fish tank(1 large fish)
55 gallon planted red cherry shrimp tank, otto, neon tetra, white cloud.
10 gallon betta tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:05 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (123/100%)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
If this happened to me???

3 Day blackout, very minimal fish food, dose Excel daily.

Just my thoughts before I would take more drastic measures.

Wanting to blame it on excessive food.

Growing is not that difficult.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Could this be from having 3 watt LED bulbs with a lens to spread out the light vs my 55 gallon tank which has 1 watt X 72 lights, no lens.

75 Gallon community planted Aquarium. Pearl Gourami,Golden barbs, zebra, pearl Danios,black neon tetra, glow-light, denson barb, Rasboras, cherry barbs, fancy tail guppies, hachet fish, rosy tetra, flame tetra
10 gallon betta tank
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:10 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr740 View Post
+1. Nuke it and start by burning your auto feeder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrill View Post
+1. Nuke it and start by burning your auto feeder.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
I am pretty sure the bleach will kill the normal plants and all my fish, and basically every living thing in the tank so that might not be the best solution.

Secondly, I don't have nuclear weapons so I can't nuke my feeder however even if I could, the fish would die when I am not around to feed them.

What about the chemical product that are suppose to target and kill algae?

Would that work?

Thanks.

10 gallon betta tank
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 10:46 AM
Algae Grower

I've had this happen to a slightly lesser degree and was able to recover. The remedies and resulting dead algae are horrible for fish and for good bacteria. You really should rehome your fish (and some, not all, filter media) until balance is restored. Products like API algae fix will do the trick. Following the instructions. No matter what the product says about being safe for fish, again, it is horrible for them. Plants will be fine.
You really need to tame your auto feeder and cut back light hours when you are gone.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 01:27 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Just nuking the algae, will cause a massive toxic spike.
I would rip out all the plants and algae from the tank, then clean the plants up manually in a bucket, before rinsing them under a tap.
Vacuum the tank bottom and replace as much water as possible.

Short of using a commercial algaecide (which brings us back to my first statement), I don't see a magic bullet here.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
@SpaceLord if it was me I would pull as many clumps out by hand or net as a lot of that looks very bulky and would come out in clumps. Pull the floating plants and rinse with tap water. Add a good algae eater like oto, maybe 9 or 10 depending on current stock. Add a quality uv sterilizer (oops I see you have one). Lots of water changes. Take some of that green water and start some food cultures that require green water and you will have a nice natural food source for your fish. Look at the bright side, if you ever wanted to start a natural food source you have the materials right in front of you and it could be covered in bba or bga instead. I think it looks worse than it is. This is what I would try first as I never look at nuking as a first option.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

Last edited by thedood; 04-03-2016 at 02:48 PM. Reason: Content
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Lol yeah, I actually grow green algae like that outdoors to put in my fry tanks.
thedood and thedood like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Lol yeah, I actually grow green algae like that outdoors to put in my fry tanks.
I wouldnt want to come home and see my 75g looking like that but if I did I would view it as an opportunity to be taken advantage of.

75G Seachem Flourite

20H Seachem Flourite with DIY Canopy/Cooling System

10G Low Tech Shrimp Tank - Archive

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Their is a day and night difference between fry that has green water and algae available as soon as they can eat (immediately for livebearers), and those kept in clear water.

Actually wish I could switch thick diatom algae on and off on command as that is the most common thing found near fry nests.

Also in terms of immune system, it is not unusual to for me to take a batch of 40 fry and raise them from birth to adulthood without loosing 1 to disease.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks like it's mostly hair algae which in the grand scheme of things is one of the better algaes (they try and get this one in the algae turf scrubbers) Just scoop it out with your hands, pick it off the plants with some tweezers do a large water change and get rid of the auto feeder (or at least find something different) and go about business as usual. If algae wasn't really an issue before, then it should continue to be minimal.
thedood and thedood like this.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Will something like a BristleNose Pleco help? Do they eat the hair algae?

10 gallon betta tank
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 12:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceLord View Post
Will something like a BristleNose Pleco help? Do they eat the hair algae?
They do not. They eat driftwood and good green algae.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode